Core DUO and Pentium D

Old December 8th 06, 01:58 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ronny Mandal

Default Core DUO and Pentium D

Hello.

Can anyone point me to articles/white papers or outline the differences
between these two CPU-families?

I can see that the Core-series are newer and more expensive than the D,
but the frequency is lower.

What may be the advantage with Core-DUO? E.g. in graphics context.

Regards,

Ronny Mandal
Old December 9th 06, 09:56 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Gojira

The Core 2 Duo's are faster,cooler running,and more energy efficient than
the Pentium D's,by a wide margin.They're the fastest cpu's out there.

Old December 11th 06, 05:02 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ronny Mandal

Gojira wrote:
The Core 2 Duo's are faster,cooler running,and more energy efficient than
the Pentium D's,by a wide margin.They're the fastest cpu's out there.

Thanks, but:

How can the Core 2 operate with a lower frequecy and make calculations
faster than the Pentium D?

-RM
Old December 11th 06, 05:34 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Jeff Gaines

On 11/12/2006 in message Ronny Mandal wrote:

Gojira wrote:
The Core 2 Duo's are faster,cooler running,and more energy efficient than
the Pentium D's,by a wide margin.They're the fastest cpu's out there.

Thanks, but:

How can the Core 2 operate with a lower frequecy and make calculations
faster than the Pentium D?

-RM

The architecture is different, it is based on Plll and Pentium M. You
should Google for a complete description.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
There are 10 types of people in the world,
Old December 11th 06, 06:40 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Gojira

Gojira wrote:
The Core 2 Duo's are faster,cooler running,and more energy efficient

than
the Pentium D's,by a wide margin.They're the fastest cpu's out there.

Thanks, but:

How can the Core 2 operate with a lower frequecy and make calculations
faster than the Pentium D?

-RM

The architecture is different, it is based on Plll and Pentium M. You
should Google for a complete description.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
There are 10 types of people in the world,
those who do binary and those who don't.

Yes,the Core 2 design doesn't rely on frequency for speed,just as AMD's
CPU's don't.Intel followed their example to catch up and pass them in the
market.

Old December 12th 06, 12:00 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Fidelis K

"Ronny Mandal" wrote in message

How can the Core 2 operate with a lower frequecy and make calculations
faster than the Pentium D?

-RM

I don't know the technical detail, but here's what I can tell you. My 2.13
GHz Core 2 Duo system simply kills my 2.8 GHz P4 system. My understanding is
that current software doesn't fully utilize the dual core, and yet the C2D
is blazingly fast. It's not just when I play games. I can definitely feel
the speed when doing casual stuff on my PC. I planned to overclock it (the
C2D is highly overclockable) but saw no point doing so because it's just so
fast.

Old December 12th 06, 10:59 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Nate Edel

Ronny Mandal wrote:
Gojira wrote:
The Core 2 Duo's are faster,cooler running,and more energy efficient than
the Pentium D's,by a wide margin.They're the fastest cpu's out there.

Thanks, but:

How can the Core 2 operate with a lower frequecy and make calculations
faster than the Pentium D?

Because it does more work per clock cycle. The relevant technical
measurement is "instructions per cycle."

Every processor has both a theoretical maximum number of instructions per
cycle (higher on Core 2, although on paper the P4/Netburst wasn't that bad)
and then an average number of instructions per cycle (much higher on Core 2,
as the a lot of technical decisions which went into the P4 meant that it
didn't live up to even its on-paper performance.)

It's the same reason why AMD has been able to often significantly outperform
older Intel designs with higher clock speeds.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/

"What's the use of yearning for Elysian Fields when you know you can't get
'em, and would only let 'em out on building leases if you had 'em?" (WSG)