Anybody do a clean install of Windows 10 yet?

Old August 17th 15, 03:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PAS

Default Ping Paul (Was "Anybody do a clean install of Windows 10 yet?")

"Paul" wrote in message
PAS wrote:

I opened the drive and in it was my MS Office 2010 disc that I had
forgot to take out from about a month ago. I removed the disc,
closed the drive, and voila - no more problems. My apps all open
fast and everything is running smoothly. With the disc in the drive,
Win 8.1 did not behave this way but Win 10 did. It's strange to me
how this could have caused the problems I was having.

It's possible the media was designed to prevent copying
somehow, but I doubt it.

Anyway, good catch on the root cause. I wouldn't
have guessed such a thing could happen (OS gets
bent out of shape trying to read media over and
over again).

I never would have guessed either. Admittedly, I've never done
troubleshooting like this (using things like "Event Viewer"). I haven't
had to in quite some time. I usually just search online for a problem
I'm having and find answers. This time, there were no answers.
Checking Event Viewer was what I finally did right. It's just odd that
Win 10 behaves differently than Win 8.1 in this respect. LOL, I might
not have needed that new video card but a nice little upgrade can't
hurt.

Old August 17th 15, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PAS

"Flasherly" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 09:34:09 -0400, "PAS"
wrote:

It's strange to me how
this could have caused the problems I was having.

Linkage on part of MS OS programming to optical media and underlying
BIOS/IRQ vectoring to the actual optical device's firmware -- the
latter which is notoriously slow when "attempting" to recover from
media faults. First try the paperclip trick, forcefully to do a tray
eject and override whatever the optical lens is doing. At times it can
be so bad nothing but a reboot gets that error handler out of an
infinite loop.

The drive opened properly, no paperclip needed. It was bad enough that
reboots had no effect. As long as that disc was in the drive I was
going to have this issue.

Now you know what the light on front bezel to the CD unit means.

If only that light went on then I might have had a clue earlier, it
didn't. No sound, no light, no nothing.

(For the price of a $10-20 3.5" optical tray device, small wonders for
added features for small packages. I used to run up to 4 of them
simultaneously in a case build, but now I disconnect singular tray
unit, installed for good enough for "a build,: when appropriate;- ISO
imagery and flashstick BIOS device boot provisions have put a
significant dent in optical transfer rates. Have fun with native W10
BlueRay support, though. I switched to volume HDD storage.)

I can't have fun, I don't have a Blue Ray drive and don't plan on
getting one. But never say "never".

Old August 17th 15, 04:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:00:46 -0400, "PAS"
wrote:

If only that light went on then I might have had a clue earlier, it
didn't. No sound, no light, no nothing.

That's weird. If the CD unit is spinning and the actuator/lens
engaged, an access light should be factory defined as well on. I also
hear mine, all sorts of associated mechanical noises going on provided
all else is basically quiet.
Old August 17th 15, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PAS

wrote:

If only that light went on then I might have had a clue earlier, it
didn't. No sound, no light, no nothing.

That's weird. If the CD unit is spinning and the actuator/lens
engaged, an access light should be factory defined as well on. I also
hear mine, all sorts of associated mechanical noises going on provided
all else is basically quiet.

That's one of the strange things. Not a peep or light out of this drive
when it was causing my issue. There is no doubt that I would have heard
it if it had made any noise at all. I tested it to make sure that it
was working fine and it is, the indicator light does work.

Old August 17th 15, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 12:07:15 -0400, "PAS"
wrote:

I tested it to make sure that it
was working fine and it is, the indicator light does work.

Not sure. I was thinking OS system cache in conjunction to the OS
knowing there's a disc present and possibly allied to it, checking it
at all times while running. But it still should lite up. Perhaps
it's stalled over the bad sector error you found, complicated that and
the CD being present, though without an actual access generated. Is
the disc actually bad? Might not happen if loading the CD at another
point after the OS is stabilized.
Old August 17th 15, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
PAS

wrote:

I tested it to make sure that it
was working fine and it is, the indicator light does work.

Not sure. I was thinking OS system cache in conjunction to the OS
knowing there's a disc present and possibly allied to it, checking it
at all times while running. But it still should lite up. Perhaps
it's stalled over the bad sector error you found, complicated that and
the CD being present, though without an actual access generated. Is
the disc actually bad? Might not happen if loading the CD at another
point after the OS is stabilized.

The disc is good as far as I know, it was used about a month ago. Of
course, anything can break down at anytime. I can use the disc to add
some features to MS Office that I didn't install. I'm going to try
that.

Old August 17th 15, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:

I tested it to make sure that it
was working fine and it is, the indicator light does work.

Not sure. I was thinking OS system cache in conjunction to the OS
knowing there's a disc present and possibly allied to it, checking it
at all times while running. But it still should lite up. Perhaps
it's stalled over the bad sector error you found, complicated that and
the CD being present, though without an actual access generated. Is
the disc actually bad? Might not happen if loading the CD at another
point after the OS is stabilized.

The disc is good as far as I know, it was used about a month ago. Of
course, anything can break down at anytime. I can use the disc to add
some features to MS Office that I didn't install. I'm going to try that.

I had some trouble, a couple of years ago, reliably
imaging my WinXP SP3 OEM disc. A Microsoft disc.
So they could be using tricks. Not really sure.
I've never had a problem with other media, for example
reading burned discs from my laptop, worked no problem
at all. Similarly, reading in dual layer DVD9 discs
burned at home, no problem (just slow). So the Microsoft
disc might well be the only one to give problems.

I had a small package of Memorex CDRW, where the discs
went almost completely transparent (after sitting here
for three months). Now, those caused a problem, but, you
could see they were defective. You could see right
through them.

Paul
Old August 22nd 15, 02:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_5_]

Default Anybody do a clean install of Windows 10 yet?

In the last episode of
, RayLopez99
said:

Apparently it's 'tough' to do.

If you find installing and doing absolutely nothing else "tough", then
yes, it's tough.

I've done both a Reset from within Windows, and a clean wipe (the drive
was encrypted with BitLocker, no BitLocker key was provided to the
installer, so I know with certainty that it was a complete wipe.

During installation click the "Skip" button for the product key,
complete then install, and you're done. Literally nothing else to do.

--
Critics are like eunuchs in a harem: they know how it's done, they've
seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.
Old August 22nd 15, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

On 8/21/2015 8:16 PM, DevilsPGD wrote:
In the last episode of
, RayLopez99
said:

Apparently it's 'tough' to do.

If you find installing and doing absolutely nothing else "tough", then
yes, it's tough.

I've done both a Reset from within Windows, and a clean wipe (the drive
was encrypted with BitLocker, no BitLocker key was provided to the
installer, so I know with certainty that it was a complete wipe.

During installation click the "Skip" button for the product key,
complete then install, and you're done. Literally nothing else to do.

I agree, it works just fine provided one has successfully done a Windows
10 upgrade on the machine at least once.

With out an upgrade to Windows 10 being done prior to the clean
installation on the machine you will have to come up with a "purchased"
Windows 10 license to activate it.

If the upgrade worked then there is no reason for the clean install to
fail unless you swap out too much hardware after doing the upgrade.
Old August 22nd 15, 08:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jeff Gaines

On 22/08/2015 in message GlowingBlueMist wrote:

I agree, it works just fine provided one has successfully done a Windows
10 upgrade on the machine at least once.

How does that work? Does MSFT keep a central record of some sort of
machine identifier?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap