"Cool Running" Processors ?

Old April 12th 04, 09:54 PM
Robert Myers

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:10:53 -0400, Mike Smith
wrote:

snip

I recently bought a pair of VIA Mini-ITX systems (one CL6000, one
ME6000, both using the Morex 2699 case) from www.logicsupply.com, and
I'm very happy with them. Much quieter than anything I've had
previously, nice and compact, not exactly supercomputer material but
hey, you can't have everything.

To put it mildly

http://www.stealthcomputer.com/pdfs/...onSept2003.pdf

RM

Old April 13th 04, 04:29 AM
rpl

wrote:

snip

I recently bought a pair of VIA Mini-ITX systems (one CL6000, one
ME6000, both using the Morex 2699 case) from www.logicsupply.com, and
I'm very happy with them. Much quieter than anything I've had
previously, nice and compact, not exactly supercomputer material but
hey, you can't have everything.

To put it mildly

http://www.stealthcomputer.com/pdfs/...onSept2003.pdf

RM

Intel commissioned that test (you can read between the lines a little in
the results and tell they performed the tests that they'd win with the
biggest margin, mostly). They omitted some "real world" apps like DVD
playing, which would be those VIA chips' natural forte.

I'm puzzled about one sentence, though...

"... demonstrating that Intel gives greater CPU 'Bang for the Buck'".

Are/were the ULV Celerons that cheap ? how about the chipsets needed to
drive them.

Thanks

rpl
who already has a p3-667 which is as fast/faster than any of the ones
tested, but the system is noisier than I can live with.
Old April 13th 04, 04:32 AM
rpl

Bill Davidsen wrote:

Someone makes (used to make?) Peltier junction heatsinks for P4,

a little wasteful, and then you have twice the heat to move somewhere

although you would be better off with P-III I would think.

got one

Also, you can get pizoelectric fans which move the fan noice into the
50kHz range even your bat can't hear. Try pizoelectric products Co,

Any particular one? Google has alot of matches for "piezoelectric
products" (and none for ... Co.)

I bought fans from them about 15 years ago, they may still be
available.

rpl
Old April 13th 04, 07:17 AM
Robert Myers

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 03:29:34 GMT, rpl
wrote:

snip

Intel commissioned that test (you can read between the lines a little in
the results and tell they performed the tests that they'd win with the
biggest margin, mostly). They omitted some "real world" apps like DVD
playing, which would be those VIA chips' natural forte.

I'm puzzled about one sentence, though...

"... demonstrating that Intel gives greater CPU 'Bang for the Buck'".

Are/were the ULV Celerons that cheap ? how about the chipsets needed to
drive them.

How cheap the Celerons are depends on who you are. If you're prepared
to buy in lots of 10,000, I'm sure the statement can be regarded as
easily defensible.

As it is, the people who buy them in large quantities sell devices
headed for rather small markets, and they have significant NRE costs
to recover over small volume, so you'll wind up paying handsomely for
a quiet, fanless, very compact system whose cost is affected
negligibly by the low cost of the included Celeron.

who already has a p3-667 which is as fast/faster than any of the ones
tested, but the system is noisier than I can live with.

But which gobbles alot more power than the ULV Celerons.

If you really want a quiet system, you _can_ go the Via route, but it
isn't the route I would choose. A very cost-effective path to a quiet
system is to use a garden-variety, heat-gobbling processor (I'd
actually choose a Tualatin Celeron, which aren't all that heat
gobbling, but they are inexpensive), with a ducted fan. There is a
short thread running on comp.sys.ibm.hardware.chips under the title
"More/quiet silent PC advice."

Googling "Ducted fans" should turn up tons of advice complete with
pictures and howtos.

RM

Old April 13th 04, 11:25 PM
Mike Smith

wrote:

snip

I recently bought a pair of VIA Mini-ITX systems (one CL6000, one
ME6000, both using the Morex 2699 case) from www.logicsupply.com, and
I'm very happy with them. Much quieter than anything I've had
previously, nice and compact, not exactly supercomputer material but
hey, you can't have everything.

To put it mildly

http://www.stealthcomputer.com/pdfs/...onSept2003.pdf

I see www.littlepc.com is selling a fanless system using the ULV
Celeron. Muy expensivo, however, compared to a VIA system.

--
Mike Smith

Old April 14th 04, 01:36 AM
Robert Myers

wrote:

snip

I recently bought a pair of VIA Mini-ITX systems (one CL6000, one
ME6000, both using the Morex 2699 case) from www.logicsupply.com, and
I'm very happy with them. Much quieter than anything I've had
previously, nice and compact, not exactly supercomputer material but
hey, you can't have everything.

To put it mildly

http://www.stealthcomputer.com/pdfs/...onSept2003.pdf

I see www.littlepc.com is selling a fanless system using the ULV
Celeron. Muy expensivo, however, compared to a VIA system.

Wait a year or two, and you'll be able to pick one up at Wal-Mart for
$300. In the meantime, the biggest problem I can see is figuring out
how to mount the damn thing so your friends and neighbors can see just
how totally on the wave you are--without, of course, making it _too_
obvious that that's why you spent all that money. ;-).

RM

Old April 14th 04, 04:30 AM
Bill Davidsen

rpl wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:

Someone makes (used to make?) Peltier junction heatsinks for P4,

a little wasteful, and then you have twice the heat to move somewhere

although you would be better off with P-III I would think.

got one

Also, you can get pizoelectric fans which move the fan noice into the
50kHz range even your bat can't hear. Try pizoelectric products Co,

Any particular one? Google has alot of matches for "piezoelectric
products" (and none for ... Co.)

I bought fans from them about 15 years ago, they may still be
available.

The name of the company was Pizo-electric Products Inc if I remember
correctly, or possibly "Co" instead of "Inc." Didn't see them anywhere I
looked, but there are a fair number of hits on piezoelectric. Lots of
proof of concept stuff from Purdue, I don't find 80mm case fans, though.

The company may or may not be a division of CTS (who?) based on reports.

--
bill davidsen )
Project Leader, USENET news