SP/DIF recording on Audigy Platinum 2 ?

Old December 23rd 07, 12:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.avm,alt.steinberg.cubase,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,uk.rec.audio
Frederick Smith

Default SP/DIF recording on Audigy Platinum 2 ?

Hi there ...

I am having a bit a bit of a problem recording digital audio with my
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum 2.

I connect the digital co-ax output from either a CD player or DVD player to
the input at on the front panel, and I can hear the audio through the
headphone monitor - so the signal is getting to the soundcard OK. But if I
try to record it, I get either a low frequency "motor boat" sound, or
nothing at all.

Also ... when recording from a digital input like this, what am I supposed
to do select as a sampling frequency ? - Surely the bit rate and sample
sizes are dependent on the incoming signal ?

Has anybody managed to have any success with this - or have I just got a
duff card ?

Regards

Frederick

Old December 23rd 07, 08:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc
Durround

"Frederick Smith" wrote in message
Hi there ...
snip.

Why X-post to groups nobody reads?

Old December 23rd 07, 11:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.avm,alt.steinberg.cubase,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,uk.rec.audio
Philip Walton

Hi Frederick

I dont have a Soundblaster Card, but I think I read somewhere a while
ago, that you need to select 'Record what you hear' in the control
Panel, or something like that. Certainly SB cards are not great.

Phil
Old December 24th 07, 09:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.avm,alt.steinberg.cubase,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,uk.rec.audio
David Looser

"Philip Walton" wrote in message
Hi Frederick

I dont have a Soundblaster Card, but I think I read somewhere a while ago,
that you need to select 'Record what you hear' in the control Panel, or
something like that. Certainly SB cards are not great.

I've recorded from a Sky+ to an SB Audigy via an optical SPDIF connection
and it worked fine. There are two "Windows Mixer" control panels. One is the
"Playback" panel which includes "sliders" for each of the enabled sound
sources with a tickbox mute option on each, the other is the "record" panel
which includes sliders for each of the enabled sources and a tick-box to
select the source. One of those sliders is called "What-U-Hear" or somesuch
phrase, but if recording from SPDIF it's better to select the SPDIF input
direct.

David.

Old December 24th 07, 11:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.avm,alt.steinberg.cubase,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,uk.rec.audio
Laurence Payne

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 23:55:58 GMT, Philip Walton
wrote:

I dont have a Soundblaster Card, but I think I read somewhere a while
ago, that you need to select 'Record what you hear' in the control
Panel, or something like that. Certainly SB cards are not great.

You can select "What You Hear" if that's what you want to record. You
can select other things as well. See what choices you have. (Note
that this is in the soundcard's control utility, not in Cubase).
There's another possibility - that the card shows in Cubase as two
separate input devices, Soundblaster Analogue and Soundblaster SPDIF.
You'd have to choose the right one when defining an input in Cubase.
You know how to do that?

One of those approaches will work, assuming your card isn't broken.
And it doesn't sound as if it is - the digital signal is getting in
and being turned into analogue for the monitor output, it's just
Cubase that can't "hear" it.

I agree, Soundblasters aren't great. But yours will do this simple
job OK. The trouble is, people who know enough to troubleshoot your
problem aren't likely to be Soundblaster owners :-)
Old December 24th 07, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.avm,alt.steinberg.cubase,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,uk.rec.audio
Arny Krueger

"Frederick Smith" wrote in message

Hi there ...

I am having a bit a bit of a problem recording digital
audio with my Soundblaster Audigy Platinum 2.

I connect the digital co-ax output from either a CD
player or DVD player to the input at on the front panel,
and I can hear the audio through the headphone monitor -
so the signal is getting to the soundcard OK. But if I
try to record it, I get either a low frequency "motor
boat" sound, or nothing at all.

What input are you recording?

Also ... when recording from a digital input like this,
what am I supposed to do select as a sampling frequency ?

44.1 Khz.

- Surely the bit rate and sample sizes are dependent on
The incoming signal ?

Has anybody managed to have any success with this - or
have I just got a duff card ?

Nobody much uses this method to transcribe a CD to a PC any more.

They use proper digital transfer software like CDEX or EAC - both of which
are free downloads.

The only reason I can think of to go the way you're going is if the CD has
some kind of copy protection on it.

Creative Audigy platinum br549 Creative Sound Blaster Cards 0 October 21st 04 10:45 PM
Audigy Platinum 2 ZS Receiver/Amp Hookup? Bob Creative Sound Blaster Cards 2 June 1st 04 07:41 PM
Audigy 2 Platinum Cerridwen General 0 May 5th 04 10:53 AM
audigy platinum ex first edition Snazz UK Computer Vendors 0 September 29th 03 05:10 PM
Audigy 2 Platinum on Suse 8.2 pro Eugene Creative Sound Blaster Cards 0 June 26th 03 08:51 PM