1GHZ Pentium IIs?

Old February 22nd 06, 03:21 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Default 1GHZ Pentium IIs?

Hi,

I've been looking up the Pentium II on Intel's website due to some
problems we've had with our computer - the processor was a long shot,
I know - and I was surprised to find that Intel didn't seem to have
made any P2s of more than 450 MHZ speed. This puzzles me as ours is
1GHZ (and it definitely isn't a P3 or 4) - does anyone know why no P2s
with this specification are listed/mentioned on Intel's site? If Intel
really didn't make any, is it possible to overclock a processor *that*
far or could there be some other explanation?

Thanks,

James McLaughlin.
Old February 22nd 06, 06:20 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

wrote in message
Hi,

I've been looking up the Pentium II on Intel's website due to some
problems we've had with our computer - the processor was a long shot,
I know - and I was surprised to find that Intel didn't seem to have
made any P2s of more than 450 MHZ speed. This puzzles me as ours is
1GHZ (and it definitely isn't a P3 or 4) - does anyone know why no P2s
with this specification are listed/mentioned on Intel's site? If Intel
really didn't make any, is it possible to overclock a processor *that*
far or could there be some other explanation?

Download a copy of CPU-Z from:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Run it (assuming you're running Windows) and post the results
for CPU info and speed.

Bob

Old February 23rd 06, 11:27 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

Thanks, I'll download it tomorrow and have a go.

BTW, do you know what the system requirements are/where I can find
them? I can't find anything except the list of supported processors on
the site.

James

PS. After a migration from 98 to XP, the processor *now* claims to be
a Celeron!

Old February 23rd 06, 07:28 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

wrote in message
Thanks, I'll download it tomorrow and have a go.

BTW, do you know what the system requirements are/where I can find
them? I can't find anything except the list of supported processors on
the site.

It's a standalone Windows program, and very efficient at that, so I imagine
it requires only Win95 or later.

Old February 27th 06, 12:29 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

It was a toss-up which of the two utilities to try, but I plumped for
Intel's. The processor is indeed a 1GHZ Celeron, one of the Pentium 3
Celerons, so it must have been too new for Win 98 to be able to
recognize it.

Thanks for your help guys!

James McLaughlin

PS. Incidentally, what would have happened if I'd installed the
"Processor Identification Utility" on a machine with a processor older
than those it supports? Would it have messed up the system, or just
installed and then told me my processor wasn't one of the ones it
recognised?
Old February 27th 06, 04:58 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

wrote in message
It was a toss-up which of the two utilities to try, but I plumped for
Intel's. The processor is indeed a 1GHZ Celeron, one of the Pentium 3
Celerons, so it must have been too new for Win 98 to be able to
recognize it.

Thanks for your help guys!

James McLaughlin

PS. Incidentally, what would have happened if I'd installed the
"Processor Identification Utility" on a machine with a processor older
than those it supports? Would it have messed up the system, or just
installed and then told me my processor wasn't one of the ones it
recognised?

The latter. This is already the case with the Intel Processor and
Chipset ID utilities, both of which come in two versions, the newer
ones only supporting P4 & newer processors and chipsets. The
older versions are archived and never again need to be updated.

Bob

Old February 28th 06, 03:19 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Thanks.