ANOTHER PROCESSOR QUESTION

Old December 6th 08, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop
Syfo-Dyas[_2_]

Default ANOTHER PROCESSOR QUESTION

Now this one is not specific to Intel, so AMD folks feel free to chime
in. I have absolutely no preference. I am new to this dual core, quad
core and even triple core processors. Dare I ask which one of these is
better for doing video editing??? Is it the more processors the faster
or is it down to the speed of the processor. I just want the basics
because I know to some this may be a loaded question.

Thanks in Advance
Old December 6th 08, 09:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop
JR Weiss[_2_]

"Syfo-Dyas" wrote...
Now this one is not specific to Intel, so AMD folks feel free to chime
in. I have absolutely no preference. I am new to this dual core, quad
core and even triple core processors. Dare I ask which one of these is
better for doing video editing??? Is it the more processors the faster
or is it down to the speed of the processor. I just want the basics
because I know to some this may be a loaded question.

What video editing app are you using? Does it support multiple cores? What
else will you have running at the same time?

Old December 6th 08, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop
Grinder

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Now this one is not specific to Intel, so AMD folks feel free to chime
in. I have absolutely no preference. I am new to this dual core, quad
core and even triple core processors. Dare I ask which one of these is
better for doing video editing??? Is it the more processors the faster
or is it down to the speed of the processor. I just want the basics
because I know to some this may be a loaded question.

I faced a similar dilemma on a past upgrade: a 2GHz dual-core, or a 3GHz
hyper-threaded single-core? It was nearly a consensus opinion that:

1) Twice the clock speed does not mean twice the performance.

2) Twice the number of cores does not mean twice the performance.

3) Applications have to be specifically written to take advantage of
multiple cores. Many applications do not, or do not do it well.

One advantage of multiple cores over a single core, is that you can
segregate applications on the core to smooth out performance. If you're
running an aggressive video conversion, for instance, you can put it on
one core while your MP3 player is on another core to keep it from
stuttering.
Old December 7th 08, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop
Ken Maltby

"Grinder" wrote in message
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
[...]

While that is all true, many video processing programs do take
advantage of multiple cores and it has become a requirement for
any such programs that wish to remain competitive. For encoding,
rendering, and transcoding; the impact of the use of multiple cores
is very dramatic. You may want to be in a position to be able to
take advantage of future programs that make use of multiple cores.

Luck;
Ken

Old December 7th 08, 06:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop
Richard Crowley[_2_]

"Ken Maltby" wrote ...
While that is all true, many video processing programs do take
advantage of multiple cores and it has become a requirement for
any such programs that wish to remain competitive. For encoding,
rendering, and transcoding; the impact of the use of multiple cores
is very dramatic. You may want to be in a position to be able to
take advantage of future programs that make use of multiple cores.

Absolutely. It is very short-sighted to base a long-term buying
decision on what your situation is today. Especially in such fast-
moving industries as computer hardware and software.

Note further that you can research independent sources of news
about things like CPUs. A popular website is Tom's Hardware...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ssor,2031.html
That article is a summary of their latest Intel vs. AMD tests.
There are several other competent independent sources of
evaluations such as this.

Old December 7th 08, 07:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop
Syfo-Dyas[_2_]

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 13:02:58 -0800, "JR Weiss"
wrote:

"Syfo-Dyas" wrote...
Now this one is not specific to Intel, so AMD folks feel free to chime
in. I have absolutely no preference. I am new to this dual core, quad
core and even triple core processors. Dare I ask which one of these is
better for doing video editing??? Is it the more processors the faster
or is it down to the speed of the processor. I just want the basics
because I know to some this may be a loaded question.

What video editing app are you using?

Nothing specific.

Does it support multiple cores?

NO!

hat else will you have running at the same time?

Nothing really just some basic programs,
Old December 7th 08, 01:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop
David Ruether

"Syfo-Dyas" wrote in message ...

Now this one is not specific to Intel, so AMD folks feel free to chime
in. I have absolutely no preference. I am new to this dual core, quad
core and even triple core processors. Dare I ask which one of these is
better for doing video editing??? Is it the more processors the faster
or is it down to the speed of the processor. I just want the basics
because I know to some this may be a loaded question.

Thanks in Advance

As others have pointed out, if your software is not designed to
make use of multiple cores, then there is little but clock speed
to work with (usually resulting in only a minor advantage,
depending on the amount of increase). Going from a 1.2 GHz
P-4 to a 2.66 GHz duo-core Intel resulted in a BIG increase in
speed with Sony Vegas Pro 8. Going from that to a quad-core
Intel 2.83 GHz with additional FS bus RAM and a FS bus
speed an even multiple of the RAM speed resulted in a 2.17X
speed increase, VERY unlike the old experiences of maybe
10-15% speed increases with what would seem to be
considerable clock speed increases.
--DR

Old December 7th 08, 02:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop
Richard Crowley[_2_]

"Claude Hopper" wrote...
Claude Hopper wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Now this one is not specific to Intel, so AMD folks feel free to chime
in. I have absolutely no preference. I am new to this dual core, quad
core and even triple core processors. Dare I ask which one of these is
better for doing video editing??? Is it the more processors the faster
or is it down to the speed of the processor. I just want the basics
because I know to some this may be a loaded question.

Thanks in Advance

Never mind multiple cores, get multiple processors. They have
motherboards with 2 or more processor plugs. Use an operating system that
can use them all like Linux for maximum performance. The fasters
processors, the most memory and the best operating system , linux, will
be good.

There is no effective difference between "multiple procesors"
and "multiple cores". Except that multiple cores is a lot cheaper.

Multiple core processors share L1 or L2 cache. Just another bottleneck.

Cache memory *improves* performance, it is NOT a
"bottleneck" of any kind.

Old December 7th 08, 02:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop
Richard Crowley[_2_]

"Syfo-Dyas" wrote ...
What video editing app are you using?

Nothing specific.

You cannot ask for realistic advice when you can't
provide the critical parts of your question.

Does it support multiple cores?

NO!

How can you say that your video NLE application
does not support multiple cores when you don't know
what it is? That doesn't pass the common sense test.

hat else will you have running at the same time?

Nothing really just some basic programs,

That response is not acceptable if you want actual advice.
We have no idea what "some basic programs" means to you.

With no more information about your question than you
have provided here, there is no useful advice anyone can
offer to you.

Old December 7th 08, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,rec.video.desktop
JR Weiss[_2_]

"Syfo-Dyas" wrote:

What video editing app are you using?

Nothing specific.

Does it support multiple cores?

NO!

hat else will you have running at the same time?

Nothing really just some basic programs,

In that case, given all else (MoBo, HD, gfx card) equal, you will likely benefit
more from a dual-core with a higher clock speed, than a tri- or quad-core with a
lower clock speed.

processor question Ken Williams General 1 September 22nd 08 08:09 AM
Processor question Joe[_7_] Dell Computers 13 July 31st 07 05:17 AM
processor question Bacchus General 7 March 11th 05 02:23 PM
processor question Blondie Intel 11 February 3rd 05 03:30 AM
Processor Question [email protected] Compaq Computers 1 September 3rd 03 03:23 PM