Figure this one?

Old March 11th 05, 01:10 AM
ABC

Default Figure this one?

2themax (Epox in the US) 8KTA3 with 512m SDRAM, AMD TB at 933mhz.

Suddenly one day the boot up of XP took about 2 minutes ( before was
20 secs) and there was a general slow down of everything--even the
mouse. Everthing still WORKS--- at the pace of a snail.

HD Tune shows my HD speed is only 2mb/s ! Normal is about 30mb/s. Same
result with other hard disks.

tried to reset cmos, pulled out all add on cards, changed video
card--- but no improvement.

Any help appreciated. You think the MOBO is fried only at the IDE
ports?

ABC
Do not reply by email. Replay to NG

Old March 11th 05, 01:45 AM
Kawosa

ABC wrote in news:r1r131l6nfledgn7d5u0n0cma99nh5ldja@
4ax.com:

2themax (Epox in the US) 8KTA3 with 512m SDRAM, AMD TB at 933mhz.

Suddenly one day the boot up of XP took about 2 minutes ( before was
20 secs) and there was a general slow down of everything--even the
mouse. Everthing still WORKS--- at the pace of a snail.

HD Tune shows my HD speed is only 2mb/s ! Normal is about 30mb/s. Same
result with other hard disks.

tried to reset cmos, pulled out all add on cards, changed video
card--- but no improvement.

Any help appreciated. You think the MOBO is fried only at the IDE
ports?

ABC
Do not reply by email. Replay to NG

Check the event viewer for problems. My first concern would be a virus or
corrupted drivers.
Old March 11th 05, 07:14 AM
Vanguard

"ABC" wrote in message
2themax (Epox in the US) 8KTA3 with 512m SDRAM, AMD TB at 933mhz.

Suddenly one day the boot up of XP took about 2 minutes ( before was
20 secs) and there was a general slow down of everything--even the
mouse. Everthing still WORKS--- at the pace of a snail.

HD Tune shows my HD speed is only 2mb/s ! Normal is about 30mb/s. Same
result with other hard disks.

tried to reset cmos, pulled out all add on cards, changed video
card--- but no improvement.

Did you check the IDE controller device's properties in Device Manager
to make sure you didn't revert to the older and slower PIO transfer mode
and are no longer using the faster DMA mode?

I don't know HD Tune. Does this run from a DOS bootable floppy? Or are
you running it under Windows XP?

Old March 11th 05, 12:35 PM
ABC

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:14:02 -0600, "Vanguard" use_ReplyTo_header
wrotd:

I don't know HD Tune. Does this run from a DOS bootable floppy? Or are
you running it under Windows XP?

Thanks for the idea. HD Tune is quite nice with GUI. I used it in XP
http://www.hdtune.com