Installing win2k on hard drive

Old January 29th 05, 09:02 PM
Roland

Default Installing win2k on hard drive

Two hard drives 1x WD34300L 4.3 gig & 1x WD14300R 4.3 Gig. Formatted
both using pqmagic fat32 with no problems. Installed Win2k on 34300
with no problem. Tried installing Win2k on 14300 with no luck. On both
when I ran win2k installation disk I removed the partition and
installed a fresh copy of win2k and formatted the new partition ntfs.

Worked well with first but when the second arrived at the first
re-boot, message read "a disk read error occurred". I then installed
win98 on the 14300 with no problem, I just cant install win2k.

Its an older hard drive with no bad sectors and the only difference is
when checking both hard drives in the bios setup, the 34300 has 523
cylinders, 255 heads and 63 sectors and the Ultra DMA Mode is 2.
Checking the 14300, it has one more cylinder and reads 524 cylinders,
255 heads and 63 sectors and the Ultra DMA mode is 4.

Subtle difference but why can I install win2k on the second, any
suggestions would be appreciated...

Old January 29th 05, 10:06 PM
Sayso Takewashi

Roland wrote:
[...]

If i remember correctly,Windows 2000 will only install on the first
Primary Disk in a Computer.Try installing with only the WD34300 in your
System.

Old January 29th 05, 10:48 PM
Ken

Roland wrote:
[...]

Although it sounds like you tried to install the Win2K on each drive
individually, there is something I learned that might be of help to
readers.

First like another poster wrote, the installation of the second drive
must take place while the drive is assuming the C: drive.

Second, if you tried to clone the install from the first drive and
place that on the second drive and then move the second drive to the C:
position, you will have a problem. The OS will write a disk signature
on the first drive, and that info will not accept the second drive. To
rectify this, delete the Boot.ini file on the second drive and you will
be able to boot up. You might also be able to edit out the signature
portion of Boot.ini and accomplish the same thing, but I have not tried
this.
Old January 29th 05, 10:56 PM
Roland

The Hard Drive was physically removed and replaced each time, its a
problem with the actual hard drive and has me at a loss due to both
checking out ok. The only differences are listed above other than that
there identical.

Old January 30th 05, 06:31 PM
jaster

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:02:49 -0800, Roland wrote:

[...]

Interesting, both drives treated as single master drives, deleted
partition and install didn't work on second drive? Did you try
installing W2k with a FAT32 partition on the 14300? First FDISK /mbr.
Otherwise dl the WD ( or Seagate) utility to format the 14300 and check
the drive.