A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Screwed my Hard Drive?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 8th 05, 03:33 PM
HereWeGoYetAgain
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Screwed my Hard Drive?

I can't access my hard drive. It was fairly new (less than 1 year) which I use
with PM to copy partitions before I muck with them. I had about 15 logical
partitions and was in the middle of a partition copy when PM got an error and
failed turning the whole drive "yellow", bad. PM 4, 7 and 8 try but can't
delete it. I don't need to recover the partitions just the drive. Fdisk hangs,
Paragon Hard Disk Manager 6 hangs and Gdisk (not to experienced with this one)
tells me can't access disk due to too many partitions. I need to wipe the
partition table, I think but don't know how to do to. Can anybody help me clean
this thing?

  #2  
Old January 8th 05, 04:35 PM
Noozer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"HereWeGoYetAgain" wrote in message
...
I can't access my hard drive. It was fairly new (less than 1 year) which I

use
with PM to copy partitions before I muck with them. I had about 15 logical
partitions and was in the middle of a partition copy when PM got an error

and
failed turning the whole drive "yellow", bad. PM 4, 7 and 8 try but can't
delete it. I don't need to recover the partitions just the drive. Fdisk

hangs,
Paragon Hard Disk Manager 6 hangs and Gdisk (not to experienced with this

one)
tells me can't access disk due to too many partitions. I need to wipe the
partition table, I think but don't know how to do to. Can anybody help me

clean
this thing?


Go to the manufacturers website and download their drive utilitiy. You
should be able to at least ZERO the drive and after that everything should
work with it.

Other tools (FDISK /MBR, etc.) might be able to get the drive to a state
where you could repartition, but if you want to be sure, just ZERO the
drive.


  #3  
Old January 8th 05, 05:08 PM
Spajky
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On 08 Jan 2005 15:33:56 GMT,
(HereWeGoYetAgain) wrote:

I can't access my hard drive.
. I need to wipe the
partition table, I think but don't know how to do to.


Win9x boot FD & MBRwork program
--
Regards & Happy New Year Everyone, SPAJKY ®
& visit my site @
http://www.spajky.vze.com
"Tualatin OC-ed / BX-Slot1 / inaudible setup!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
  #4  
Old January 8th 05, 07:21 PM
Jimmy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

HereWeGoYetAgain wrote:
I can't access my hard drive. It was fairly new (less than 1 year)
which I use with PM to copy partitions before I muck with them. I had
about 15 logical partitions and was in the middle of a partition copy
when PM got an error and failed turning the whole drive "yellow",
bad. PM 4, 7 and 8 try but can't delete it. I don't need to recover
the partitions just the drive. Fdisk hangs, Paragon Hard Disk Manager
6 hangs and Gdisk (not to experienced with this one) tells me can't
access disk due to too many partitions. I need to wipe the partition
table, I think but don't know how to do to. Can anybody help me clean
this thing?


Sorry if this is a dumb question but why would one want 15 partitions? I
have over a dozen drives and they all have one partition each. Each drive is
dedicated to separate files like video and music. Would I gain anything by
partitioning a 200G drive full of video files into multiple partitions as
opposed to folders?

J.


  #5  
Old January 8th 05, 07:36 PM
Grinder
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jimmy wrote:
HereWeGoYetAgain wrote:

I can't access my hard drive. It was fairly new (less than 1 year)
which I use with PM to copy partitions before I muck with them. I had
about 15 logical partitions and was in the middle of a partition copy
when PM got an error and failed turning the whole drive "yellow",
bad. PM 4, 7 and 8 try but can't delete it. I don't need to recover
the partitions just the drive. Fdisk hangs, Paragon Hard Disk Manager
6 hangs and Gdisk (not to experienced with this one) tells me can't
access disk due to too many partitions. I need to wipe the partition
table, I think but don't know how to do to. Can anybody help me clean
this thing?



Sorry if this is a dumb question but why would one want 15 partitions? I
have over a dozen drives and they all have one partition each. Each drive is
dedicated to separate files like video and music. Would I gain anything by
partitioning a 200G drive full of video files into multiple partitions as
opposed to folders?


I can't speak for the OP, but I can describe a scenario with a lot of
partitions on one hard drive. At one time, I kept such a drive with
multiple 700 Mb partitions because I was building CD-rom images --
installers for multiple product lines/versions.
  #6  
Old January 9th 05, 03:39 AM
Trent©
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:21:01 -0500, "Jimmy"
wrote:

HereWeGoYetAgain wrote:
I can't access my hard drive. It was fairly new (less than 1 year)
which I use with PM to copy partitions before I muck with them. I had
about 15 logical partitions and was in the middle of a partition copy
when PM got an error and failed turning the whole drive "yellow",
bad. PM 4, 7 and 8 try but can't delete it. I don't need to recover
the partitions just the drive. Fdisk hangs, Paragon Hard Disk Manager
6 hangs and Gdisk (not to experienced with this one) tells me can't
access disk due to too many partitions. I need to wipe the partition
table, I think but don't know how to do to. Can anybody help me clean
this thing?


Sorry if this is a dumb question but why would one want 15 partitions? I
have over a dozen drives and they all have one partition each. Each drive is
dedicated to separate files like video and music. Would I gain anything by
partitioning a 200G drive full of video files into multiple partitions as
opposed to folders?


As opposed to folders?...yes.

But, since you have separate, dedicated drives, you have just as good
a system.

Partitions/drives are better than folders when it comes to
maintenance. You don't need to defrag a dedicated partition/drive.
Also, accessing system/operating files is quicker when the drive isn't
also crowded with specific data (video, etc.) files.

Moreover, you can designate a specific cluster size for specific type
files when you have a dedicated partition/drive. I keep the clusters
for my regular operating files at 8k. But my multi-media partitions
are set to 32k...since the files going here are usually very
large...so there is little waste with a large cluster size for these
files.

I find 4k default clusters are usually too slow on most drives.


Have a nice one...

Trent©

Budweiser: Helping ugly people have sex since 1876!
  #7  
Old January 9th 05, 05:29 AM
Jimmy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Trent© wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:21:01 -0500, "Jimmy"
wrote:

HereWeGoYetAgain wrote:
I can't access my hard drive. It was fairly new (less than 1 year)
which I use with PM to copy partitions before I muck with them. I
had about 15 logical partitions and was in the middle of a
partition copy when PM got an error and failed turning the whole
drive "yellow", bad. PM 4, 7 and 8 try but can't delete it. I don't
need to recover the partitions just the drive. Fdisk hangs, Paragon
Hard Disk Manager 6 hangs and Gdisk (not to experienced with this
one) tells me can't access disk due to too many partitions. I need
to wipe the partition table, I think but don't know how to do to.
Can anybody help me clean this thing?


Sorry if this is a dumb question but why would one want 15
partitions? I have over a dozen drives and they all have one
partition each. Each drive is dedicated to separate files like video
and music. Would I gain anything by partitioning a 200G drive full
of video files into multiple partitions as opposed to folders?


As opposed to folders?...yes.

But, since you have separate, dedicated drives, you have just as good
a system.

Partitions/drives are better than folders when it comes to
maintenance. You don't need to defrag a dedicated partition/drive.
Also, accessing system/operating files is quicker when the drive isn't
also crowded with specific data (video, etc.) files.

Moreover, you can designate a specific cluster size for specific type
files when you have a dedicated partition/drive. I keep the clusters
for my regular operating files at 8k. But my multi-media partitions
are set to 32k...since the files going here are usually very
large...so there is little waste with a large cluster size for these
files.

I find 4k default clusters are usually too slow on most drives.


Have a nice one...

Trent©

Budweiser: Helping ugly people have sex since 1876!


Thank you. That was the best explaination I have heard so far.

Regards.
J.


  #8  
Old January 9th 05, 01:10 PM
HWGYA
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Noozer"
Go to the manufacturers website and

download their drive utilitiy. You
ould be able to at least ZERO the
ve and after that everything should
work with it.


It hangs

Other tools (FDISK /MBR, etc.) might
e able to get the drive to a state
where you could repartition, but if
you want to be sure, just ZERO the
drive.


Fdisk /mbr, works I think, well it "comes back" with :A
but then fdisk after that hangs



Jimmy"
Sorry if this is a dumb question but
why would one want 15 partitions? I
have over a dozen drives and they all


Lots of reasons, I used this drive as a backup
for images of my sisters, bothers, friends, clients
pc's, "fresh" copies of Win98se, W2k, Xp etc,
copies of my system when I want to experiment etc.


Trent=A9
Budweiser: Helping ugly people have sex since 1876!

I like that

  #9  
Old January 9th 05, 02:44 PM
Jimmy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

HWGYA wrote:
Noozer"
Go to the manufacturers website and

download their drive utilitiy. You
ould be able to at least ZERO the
ve and after that everything should
work with it.


It hangs

Other tools (FDISK /MBR, etc.) might
e able to get the drive to a state
where you could repartition, but if
you want to be sure, just ZERO the
drive.


Fdisk /mbr, works I think, well it "comes back" with :A
but then fdisk after that hangs



Jimmy"
Sorry if this is a dumb question but
why would one want 15 partitions? I
have over a dozen drives and they all


Lots of reasons, I used this drive as a backup
for images of my sisters, bothers, friends, clients
pc's, "fresh" copies of Win98se, W2k, Xp etc,


So do you think if I have a backup drive that has different file types like
photos and software I should definitely separate them into various
partitions instead of just folders? The I am guessing that the partitions I
use the most will only be that part of the drive I would be defragging. This
sound more effective if I have this right.

Thanks.

J.


  #10  
Old January 9th 05, 03:23 PM
Skeleton Man
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I can't access my hard drive. It was fairly new (less than 1 year) which I use
with PM to copy partitions before I muck with them. I had about 15 logical
partitions and was in the middle of a partition copy when PM got an error and
failed turning the whole drive "yellow", bad. PM 4, 7 and 8 try but can't
delete it. I don't need to recover the partitions just the drive.


Do a low level format (zero fill) with debug.exe from DOS:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q106419/


Regards,
Chris


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Win XP doesn't like a second hard drive! N9WOS General 9 January 6th 05 01:10 AM
Upgrade Report [Hardware Tips: Get the Right Hard Drive - 05/11/2004] Ablang General 0 May 16th 04 03:17 AM
two hd's on same IDE channel Steve James General 25 March 13th 04 12:06 AM
Mysterious Hard Drive Problem Bill Anderson General 4 January 18th 04 03:43 AM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.