urgent

Old January 9th 05, 01:04 PM
lefty

Default urgent

need help thinkin bout 2.1 speakers. is it stupid to buy more expensive thx
certified speakers like logitech z2300 or creative 250D (200 $) if i don't
have a soundcard but onboard sound? should i take smth less expensive?

Old January 9th 05, 01:27 PM
Grinder

lefty wrote:
need help thinkin bout 2.1 speakers. is it stupid to buy more expensive thx
certified speakers like logitech z2300 or creative 250D (200 $) if i don't
have a soundcard but onboard sound? should i take smth less expensive?

You will have to balance your ear against your pocketbook, but you can
get better fidelity from higher quality speakers, from the same output.
There's really nothing wrong with onboard audio, so that should not
limit a decent set of speakers.

As for me, I've gone with the $30 Creative speakers, but have some
decent headphones for more critical listens.
Old January 9th 05, 01:38 PM
lefty

thanx. still thinkin how smart buying 200$ speaker set is what do u think?

Old January 9th 05, 04:25 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

lefty wrote:
thanx. still thinkin how smart buying 200$ speaker set is what do u
think?

THX is a digital standard - you cannot implement digital audio with on-board
sound - you need a capable soundcard - unless you buy an Audigy 2 ZS
Platinum or higher, you can only purchase the Creative speakers, as the
connectors on the lesser models (and I'm still talking ZS here, but the
vanilla Audigy 2 ZS) will only function in digital mode if used with
Creative speakers. If you want to buy the Logitech you would need to go for
a more expensive soundcard. IMNSHO, you should channel the money into a
decent soundcard and then save up for the speakers (and why only 2.1?)

Expensive speakers are wasted on onboard sound chips (and that's what it is,
a chip - not a card). So, to answer your question, not a smart use of money
at all. A complete waste if you ask me.

on salads.

Old January 9th 05, 05:30 PM
lefty

at the risk of sounding stupid; what you wrote is that i have to buy a thx
sound CHIP (see, i'm learning already) and thx speakers in order to have
thx sound quality. correct?

Old January 9th 05, 06:46 PM
Larc

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 18:30:51 +0100, "lefty"
wrote:

| at the risk of sounding stupid; what you wrote is that i have to buy a thx
| sound CHIP (see, i'm learning already) and thx speakers in order to have
| thx sound quality. correct?

In order to have actual THX decoding, yes. But how much quality do
you really want in computer sound? If you're planning to watch movies
on your computer monitor and are looking for decent quality sound, you
probably don't want to spend more than $30 or so for speakers that
will plug into onboard outputs. Invest in a good soundcard (I like
the M-Audio Revolution 7.1) before you even think about buying better
speakers than that.

Larc

Old January 9th 05, 07:01 PM
kony

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 16:25:13 -0000, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
wrote:

lefty wrote:
thanx. still thinkin how smart buying 200$ speaker set is what do u
think?

THX is a digital standard

Also important to consider is that THX certified may not
mean much other than "submitted" speakers, others may
certainly have as good a quality.

- you cannot implement digital audio with on-board
sound - you need a capable soundcard

Huh? Sound cards are generally needed for better analog,
not digital, or more I/O options.

- unless you buy an Audigy 2 ZS
Platinum or higher, you can only purchase the Creative speakers, as the
connectors on the lesser models (and I'm still talking ZS here, but the
vanilla Audigy 2 ZS) will only function in digital mode if used with
Creative speakers. If you want to buy the Logitech you would need to go for
a more expensive soundcard. IMNSHO, you should channel the money into a
decent soundcard and then save up for the speakers (and why only 2.1?)

I'm not so sure OP is trying to use THX sound, rather
wondering about the speakers as THX certification applies to
their quality. One doesn't usually get these speakers for a
home theater.

Audigy 2 ZS isn't at all good for digital output from what I
gather. It seems Creative may've been a bit dishonest in
their specs, that they're claiming high bitrate and
resolution when the weakest link, the DSP, can only do 16
bit, 48Khz. Some have even called it fraud. Maybe I'm
wrong- I dont' have an Audigy 2 ZS.

If OP wants best 2.1 sound, he might consider an Envy24 HT-S
based Chaintech AV-710, which is a steal @ $26. It has
bit-perfect digital out and pretty good 2.1 analog too.
This is assuming the goal is only 2.1 sound.

Expensive speakers are wasted on onboard sound chips (and that's what it is,
a chip - not a card). So, to answer your question, not a smart use of money
at all. A complete waste if you ask me.

Well I'd rather have good speakers than a good soundcard if
forced to choose as the speakers make a far larger
difference, but it's true that both are needed.
Particularly the analog-digital converter for analog-out
must be good, and the Audigy's ADC is good, but IMO, not
good enough to justify it's pricetag. It's value comes from
gaming support instead... not that the other alternatives
won't game, just a few FPS loss when using 2 channels.

Old January 9th 05, 08:06 PM
lefty

found a cheap solution - cl audigy Ls - 30$ - any good?

Old January 9th 05, 09:15 PM
kony

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 21:06:08 +0100, "lefty"
wrote:

found a cheap solution - cl audigy Ls - 30$ - any good?

OK for games but not serious audio playback due to forced
resampling (unless there's a workaround/hack for it),

http://groups.google.fi/groups?hl=en...gle.com&rnum=3

Creative screwed up the drivers, but it's also partially
Intel's fault, they weren't too bright to spec 48KHz for
AC97 when CD audio is 44.1. If they'd left well enough
alone we'd have 44.1 and 88.2 instead, most likely.