A7v266-e boot no floppy drive installed

Old December 16th 03, 11:09 PM
Aardvark F. Bandersnatch, Esq.

Default A7v266-e boot no floppy drive installed

How does one get an A7v266-E to boot properly with no floppy drive
installed? The box I'm using at home has no floppy drive on it... not at
all. There are several BIOS settings involved w/floppies, but if I turn them
all off, the machine will not boot. It will post but not boot into
Windows-XP. It stops immediately after doing the Promise controller biz and
goes no further.
If, on the other hand, I turn on the boot floppy seek, boot halts with an
"F1 or DEL (40)" message.

Any suggestions?

Micheal.

Old December 17th 03, 12:49 AM
Aardvark F. Bandersnatch, Esq.

"Ed" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:09:28 GMT, "Aardvark F. Bandersnatch, Esq."
wrote:

How does one get an A7v266-E to boot properly with no floppy drive
installed? The box I'm using at home has no floppy drive on it... not at
all. There are several BIOS settings involved w/floppies, but if I turn

them
all off, the machine will not boot. It will post but not boot into
Windows-XP. It stops immediately after doing the Promise controller biz

and
goes no further.
If, on the other hand, I turn on the boot floppy seek, boot halts with an
"F1 or DEL (40)" message.

Any suggestions?

Micheal.

You could set the "Halt on Errors" in the bios to something like
"keyboard only" or "None " if you have that option, but you may have
some other problem, not familiar with Promise controllers.

After mucking about with the BIOS settings, I've gotten it to boot properly,
but it hangs for about twelve seconds following the Promise controllers.

odd, but it works.

Thanks.

Micheal.