Does an upgrade from AMD Athlon Duo Core2 4000+ to AMD 6000+ make sense?

Old February 18th 08, 11:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Ritter 197

Default Does an upgrade from AMD Athlon Duo Core2 4000+ to AMD 6000+ make sense?

I have presently an HP Pavillion desktop a1610n, with a AMD Athlon 64X2 duo
core processor.
Does an upgrade to a AMD 6000 make any sense? I am limited by the ASUS
Motherboard NODUSM3 1.05.

The "passcore" for CPU's says 866 for the former and only 1263 for the
6000.That is an increase of only 397 points, but I have no idea what that
really means.

My son just upgraded his to an Intel E8400 and an Asus LGA775 MB and his
"passcore" for CPU is 1774, that is 908 points higher. But it is more
expensive because of the motherboard.

I do not do any fast games, only word processing, e-mail, internet, digital
photography and digital movies. Also power point and beginning with MS
Publisher.

I also use Trend Micro for Anti Virus and it takes a long time to finish
that on start up (like 90 seconds or so) my son's with the same Trend Micro
7 seconds. That always annoys me on my computer because you cannot get to
Internet or mail until Trend Micro has finished its work.

Old February 19th 08, 10:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
André, PE1PQX[_2_]

Ritter 197 heeft ons zojuist aangekondigd :
[...]

I think for the applications you use, this opgrade does not make any
sense (to me at least).
Also I went from a 3800+ single core to 5000+ dualcore, and I really
was a bit disappointed when I look at the difference between these two.

André

Old February 19th 08, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Wes Newell

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:30:21 -0500, Ritter 197 wrote:

I also use Trend Micro for Anti Virus and it takes a long time to finish
that on start up (like 90 seconds or so) my son's with the same Trend
Micro 7 seconds. That always annoys me on my computer because you cannot
get to Internet or mail until Trend Micro has finished its work.

This part at least has very little to do with with the CPU speed and
almost everything to do with your file system and the number of files on
your system. The reason his is so much faster is because it's a new
install. Give it time, and it will slow down too. That's the nature of
windows. You might want to start defragging your system one night. That
will probably help.

Old June 25th 08, 07:59 AM
tontan tontan is offline
Junior Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Newell View Post
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:30:21 -0500, Ritter 197 wrote:

I also use Trend Micro for Anti Virus and it takes a long time to finish
that on start up (like 90 seconds or so) my son's with the same Trend
Micro 7 seconds. That always annoys me on my computer because you cannot
get to Internet or mail until Trend Micro has finished its work.

This part at least has very little to do with with the CPU speed and
almost everything to do with your file system and the number of files on
your system. The reason his is so much faster is because it's a new
install. Give it time, and it will slow down too. That's the nature of
windows. You might want to start defragging your system one night. That
will probably help.

I don't think you need to have to. It really depends if you need a slightly faster performance but with the extent of a price. You have to consider other things that's worth your money.
Old July 14th 08, 05:57 PM
akhanna01 akhanna01 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontan View Post
I don't think you need to have to. It really depends if you need a slightly faster performance but with the extent of a price. You have to consider other things that's worth your money.
i dont think u need it.............