install Microsoft Office?

Old December 28th 03, 10:21 PM
Whelan

Default install Microsoft Office?

I recently purchased a Dell 8500 for my college student son.
I ordered it with only Works, planning to either
* install the OfficeXP Academic that we purchased for his old laptop in
2001, or
* purchase the new Office2003 Student/Teacher (which costs only $129 and the
box says you can install on up to 3 of your family computers).

Is there an awkward hassle with Microsoft if I want to just install the
Office XP CD we already have?

I need to partition the hard-drive tonight, then install a version of Office
tomorrow, so that he can "move in" before the next term begins.
Nan

Old December 28th 03, 10:30 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

Whelan wrote:
I recently purchased a Dell 8500 for my college student son.
I ordered it with only Works, planning to either
* install the OfficeXP Academic that we purchased for his old laptop
in 2001, or
* purchase the new Office2003 Student/Teacher (which costs only $129
and the box says you can install on up to 3 of your family computers).

Is there an awkward hassle with Microsoft if I want to just install
the Office XP CD we already have?

I need to partition the hard-drive tonight, then install a version of
Office tomorrow, so that he can "move in" before the next term begins.
Nan

You may have to call to activate the Office XP. No big deal, they just give
you a long code to enter and your set. OR, the clear you old activation and
it activates like normal.

--

Rob
- "You put a living room where the crack den used to be!!!"

Old December 29th 03, 12:35 AM
Ogden Johnson III

Phil wrote:

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

Whelan wrote:

I recently purchased a Dell 8500 for my college student son.
I ordered it with only Works, planning to either
* install the OfficeXP Academic that we purchased for his old laptop
in 2001, or
* purchase the new Office2003 Student/Teacher (which costs only $129
and the box says you can install on up to 3 of your family computers).

Is there an awkward hassle with Microsoft if I want to just install
the Office XP CD we already have?

You may have to call to activate the Office XP. No big deal, they just give
you a long code to enter and your set. OR, the clear you old activation and
it activates like normal.

I've stayed with Office 2000. IMHO XP stands for "Xtra Pain".

Which has nothing to do with what Whelan asked. Unless you're
suggesting that he ditch the Office XP Academic [2001] he already has
and seeks out a copy of Office 2000 on E-Bay or somewhere.

FWIW, thanks to varying installations at work [Office 95 thru Office
2000] and home [Office 2000 and Office XP], I've had ample opportunity
for use and comparison on a regular basis, and don't find Office XP to
be painful. To the contrary, some of the tweaks they made in the
Office XP releases of Word, Excel, and Access were quite useful.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old December 29th 03, 12:50 AM
Ogden Johnson III

"Tom Scales" wrote:

Why? It's worked well for me, at least until I upgraded to Office 2003.

Caveat to my response in this thread; the Office XP I was speaking of
was the ca 2001 release, *not* Office 2003. AIUI, Office 2003 was
mainly changes in Outlook/OE/Outlook-related stuff, so I passed on it.
I don't trust MS in *anything* involving on-line activity. Did you
find anything useful, improvement-wise, in the Office 2003 releases of
Word, Excel, etc., Tom?
Old December 29th 03, 01:07 AM
Tom Scales

I meant that too. Went from 2000 to XP(2001) to 2003.

As for 2003, my primary use IS Outlook and it is a major improvement,
particularly with remote syncing. My IT team is upgrading the Exchange
Server to 2003 soon, although I don't know what that will gain me.

Word and Excel, I'm just an occasional user.

Tom

Old December 29th 03, 02:13 AM
Ogden Johnson III

"Tom Scales" wrote:

"Ogden Johnson III" wrote

"Tom Scales" wrote:

Why? It's worked well for me, at least until I upgraded to Office 2003.

Caveat to my response in this thread; the Office XP I was speaking of
was the ca 2001 release, *not* Office 2003. AIUI, Office 2003 was
mainly changes in Outlook/OE/Outlook-related stuff, so I passed on it.
I don't trust MS in *anything* involving on-line activity. Did you
find anything useful, improvement-wise, in the Office 2003 releases of
Word, Excel, etc., Tom?

I meant that too. Went from 2000 to XP(2001) to 2003.

As for 2003, my primary use IS Outlook and it is a major improvement,
particularly with remote syncing. My IT team is upgrading the Exchange
Server to 2003 soon, although I don't know what that will gain me.

Word and Excel, I'm just an occasional user.

Thanks, Tom. I don't use Outlook, and that is what the reviews and
other people have told me, the 2003 release is Outlook oriented, and
did little to any of the other apps like Word, Excel, Etc. Whereas
the XP/2001 release was just the other way around, did a lot with the
apps package, and little to Outlook. My boss incorporated one of
those new Excel features into our Access based corporate management
and accounting program, and all of us who needed to use that program
had to update to Office XP. Much of our on site work at clients'
facilities, though, is easily done in practically any version of
Office, thus the variety we have on the machines there.

Like any other upgrade decision, hardware or software, the question is
always "What will the new [computer, software upgrade, software
change] do for me that I need done that the current one won't do?"
Old December 29th 03, 05:07 AM
Barry Watzman

Office XP does PA (product activation). There won't be a problem if
it's never been installed before, but if it has been installed before,
then there might be a problem. The issues here are how many times it's
been installed, and when these installations were done. If it's only
been installed once, and/or it was most recently installed and activated
more than 4 months ago, then I THINK that you might be ok.

I'm not sure if multiple installations of Office XP were allowed or not
(you are correct that Office 2003 actually ALLOWS installation on three
different computers, legally). Also, I know that the Windows XP
activation "resets" after 4 months with no activity, I believe that
Office XP (and 2003) do this as well but I'm not certain of that.

There were some fantastic "deals" available when Office 2003 came out.
I bought two copies, one at CompUSA and one at OfficeMax. At CompUSA,
if you bought a copy of Office 2003 S&T for $150, you got $600 worth of
stuff "FREE" (after rebate), including a portable DVD player (the kind
with LCD screen). At OfficeMax, you got a free (after rebate) HP
"Digital Photography Studio", a 7350 printer AND a 2 megapixel digital
camera. These were fantastic deals, unfortuntately, they were only
available for one single week.

Old December 29th 03, 05:11 AM
Barry Watzman

Actually, from what I've heeard, Office 2003 is significantly better
than Office XP (or earlier versions), although you are correct that of
all of the programs, it was Outlook that changed the most.

The primary reason to stay with Office 2000 or an earlier version is
that they don't do Product Activation. But the policy with Office 2003
Student's and Teacher's edition is amazingly liberal, they actually
ALLOW you to use a single copy on up to three machines (legally, it must
be "non-commercial" use, excluding use by a business).