FX5600 Freezing..

Old July 28th 03, 08:08 PM
Derek

Default FX5600 Freezing..

I've just installed the FX5600 and can't get the thing to run at all well in
any graphics intensive program.

It freezes pretty much straight away and nothing I've tried makes any
difference.

XP2400 with Crucial 2100 DDR, 512mb ram.

WinXP, SoundBlaster Live, plenty of HD space, 350w psu.

I've installed a new heatsink and fan and temps are now around 45 degrees C
just before I start the graphics app.
I originally used 44.10 drivers but have uninstalled those and tried 44.03
but to no effect.

Anything else worth a try??

Derek

Old July 28th 03, 08:25 PM
Henric

"Derek" wrote in message
I've installed a new heatsink and fan and temps are now around 45
degrees C just before I start the graphics app.
I originally used 44.10 drivers but have uninstalled those and tried
44.03 but to no effect.
Anything else worth a try??

First of all, make sure your card is seated properly in the AGP slot.

Then, update your AGP driver and BIOS. Old AGP drivers + new cards usually
don't mix well, and typically freeze randomly in 3d apps. This is very noticable
with VIA 4in1 for example.

I bet some people will tell you to get a new PSU, but I don't think that's
the problem, although I can be wrong Personally I now have a 350W PSU, 2
HDD's, 2 DVD's, GeforceFX5800 and it's fine.

Make sure you've got DirectX 9.0b -- notice the b! Not the a version
It's at www.microsoft.com/directx I think.

If none of this works, try letting your computer warm up some, like to 50
degrees celcius before using 3d applications. In some cases, the graphics cards
can be _more_ stable like this! (I've seen it both on my GFX5800, and my
previous Radeon 9700 Pro. I always had to wait some, until the latest revision
of the 4in1 was released, which solved this for me).

--
Good luck
Henric

Old July 28th 03, 08:38 PM
Derek

Thanks but I've tried all those things and still no joy..

I can't think what the problem can be...

Incidentally I'm using an ASRock Motherboard.

Derek

Old July 28th 03, 11:03 PM
Eddie

"Derek" wrote in message
I've just installed the FX5600 and can't get the thing to run at all well

in
any graphics intensive program.

It freezes pretty much straight away and nothing I've tried makes any
difference.

XP2400 with Crucial 2100 DDR, 512mb ram.

WinXP, SoundBlaster Live, plenty of HD space, 350w psu.

I've installed a new heatsink and fan and temps are now around 45 degrees

just before I start the graphics app.
I originally used 44.10 drivers but have uninstalled those and tried 44.03
but to no effect.

Anything else worth a try??

Derek

I had some probs with my MSI FX5600. Especially when I downloaded drivers
from the nVidia site. So I deleted all and downloaded new ones from MSI's
and they solved the problem...well, one of the probs anyway! So advice would
be to get drivers from your video card manufacterer (OEM)

Eddie

Old July 29th 03, 10:02 AM
FEDup

Okay...it sounds to me like you haven't UNINSTALLED your previous drivers
properly.

You need to use Detonator destroyer available from GURU3d.com to COMPLETELY
remove all trace of previous drivers before you load new ones. If you still
have ATI drivers on board,make sure you get rid of those too. I do not know
if there's a utility to completely remove them but you may have to edit them
out thru the registry.

Hope that helps

PAUL

"Eddie" wrote in message
. au...

Old July 29th 03, 10:19 PM
Derek

I made sure I uninstalled every scrap of the old ATI drivers and used
Detonator Destroyer to remove the first lot of Nvidia drivers (44.10). Now
I'm going to track down the OEM drivers.....

We'll get to the bottom of this..

Derek

s.com...