9800SE or fx5600 Ultra

Old September 3rd 03, 02:05 PM
Bratboy

Default 9800SE or fx5600 Ultra

Hi hopeing for some info on what to do/choose. Some friends are sending me
an ATI 9800, although I fear its the SE but wont know till it shows, and at
same time Gainward is replacing a card for me with a fx5600 ultra
(flip-Chip). Im really hopeing they did pick the reg 9800, especially after
all Ive read on how it can perform as good as the 9800pro if done right
drools profusly but I'm also trying to not get hopes too high and then get
disapointed. The 2 cards their replaceing are a gf3 and a gf2 so both cards
no matter what should be an improvement.

Now I know if the card that shows up is a regular 9800 it will beat the FX
but if it does turn out that its the SE which has 4 pipelines disabled I
dont know which should I install in the main box. I read there is a way to
re-enable the other 4 pipelines on the 9800se but not sure how performance
compares to a reg 9800 using that trick so would love to hear feedback on
that. I've long been a fan of Nvidia but as the ATI card is free and Nvidia
has been annoying lately Im more than happy to switch to it if its the
better card but if an SE wont match a 5600 then it sort of makes sense for
me to put the Nvidia card in main box (sigh).

I really don't want to be rude and ask friends for link to the card as thats
like looking at the reciept of christmas gifts someone gave ya so stuck
waiting on FedEx to deliver to finally answer which card they actually got
ordered. Any feedback appreciated on this and sorry if post seems disjointed
or hard to follow. Not really awake yet hehe

Just Jess

Old September 4th 03, 08:24 AM
[D.A]!@#Bourne

just go and start praying right now that its a normal non pro 9800 and if it
is then remember to send ur friends some really nice thank you letters.but
to put ur fears to rest the 9800 se will still kick 5600 's a** anyday. and
if its a stock version , flash the bios baby and u have a spanking new 9800
pro and ati becomes the suckers in this situation. there is a link on the
rage3d.com forums somewhere where it takes u from step to step thru the bios
flashing thing. many ppl have done it and now their xp recognises the card
as a 9800 pro and they are getting kick ass speeds as well.

--
[D.A.]!@#Bourne

Old September 4th 03, 11:49 AM
Bratboy

cool, for some reason thought the crippling of 4 pipelines on the 9800SE
might cause the SE version preform worse than the fx

Old September 4th 03, 02:41 PM
John Hall

Here's the link flashing your bios:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33695811

I did it and my 9800 "pro" flies. I have compared my benchmarks to others I
have found on line and my card is every bit a "pro".

I read somewhere that the se model was only going to be sold in Europe and
Asia. So if you live here in North America you will probably have the
normal 9800 non pro. Good Luck!

JK

Old September 10th 03, 02:56 PM
Julian Richards

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 04:49:48 -0600, "Bratboy" wrote:

cool, for some reason thought the crippling of 4 pipelines on the 9800SE
might cause the SE version preform worse than the fx

I've got an SE. I haven't tried this yet (I'm moving on to XP shortly)
but it may be of use to you.

http://www.ocfaq.com/softmod/download.php

--

Julian Richards

"My son has asked for a pair of Nike trainers.
He's ten years old, he should make his own"

"I bought a CD of whale music. Imagine my
disappointment when I got home to discover
that it was actual a cover version by a tribute
band of dolphins"
Old September 15th 03, 09:30 PM
Jim

Just to be clear. Did you take a 9800se to a pro or did you take a non-pro
to a pro? I just bought the SE, and I want to make sure we are talking about
the same thing here.

Thanks,

Jim

le.rogers.com...

Old September 15th 03, 10:26 PM
John Hall

I took a non pro to a pro, not an se.

JK

"Jim" wrote in message
.. .
Just to be clear. Did you take a 9800se to a pro or did you take a non-pro
to a pro? I just bought the SE, and I want to make sure we are talking

about
the same thing here.

Thanks,

Jim