audio picked up by laptop mic - not from headset mic

Old February 6th 12, 07:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

Default audio picked up by laptop mic - not from headset mic

After months of using a headset for Skype calls on my
Dell XPS M1300 laptop, I've discovered that my voice
was being picked up not from the mic on the headset but
from the laptop's built-in microphone. The headset's red
mic plug was inserted firmly into the mic jack on the front
edge of the laptop, but the audio was still detected only
by the laptop's built-in mic. Does anyone have a clue
why the audio source wasn't changed the headset mic
when the headset mic was plugged in?

*TimDaniels*

Old February 6th 12, 07:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Scott Davis

On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 23:00:18 -0800, "Timothy Daniels"
wrote:

After months of using a headset for Skype calls on my
Dell XPS M1300 laptop, I've discovered that my voice
was being picked up not from the mic on the headset but
from the laptop's built-in microphone. The headset's red
mic plug was inserted firmly into the mic jack on the front
edge of the laptop, but the audio was still detected only
by the laptop's built-in mic. Does anyone have a clue
why the audio source wasn't changed the headset mic
when the headset mic was plugged in?

*TimDaniels*

You might try going to Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices, then
select the Voice tab and see what device is selected as the default
for voice recording.
Old February 6th 12, 08:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

On 6/02/2012 6:00 PM, Timothy Daniels wrote:
After months of using a headset for Skype calls on my
Dell XPS M1300 laptop, I've discovered that my voice
was being picked up not from the mic on the headset but
from the laptop's built-in microphone. The headset's red
mic plug was inserted firmly into the mic jack on the front
edge of the laptop, but the audio was still detected only
by the laptop's built-in mic. Does anyone have a clue
why the audio source wasn't changed the headset mic
when the headset mic was plugged in?

*TimDaniels*

You need to set the headset mike as the default audio input device. Go
to toolsoptionsaudio settings . Ensure that all potential audio
devices are plugged in, then click on the microphone dropdown box. You
will see a list of potential audio input devices. In my case, I have 3;
USB headset, USB Mic (on camera) and IDT audio (inbuilt). Just move the
headset device to the top of the list and the remainder in your
preferred order. In my case, the USB headset is top, the USB Mic is 2nd
and the IDT audio at the bottom. This will become the default order even
if one or more devices aren't present. For instance, if I disconnect the
headset, the USB mic on the camera becomes the next available rather
than IDT audio where I never have a mic connected anyway.

Don't forget to save your settings!

--

Krypsis
Old February 6th 12, 12:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob_Villa

On Feb 6, 1:00*am, "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
After months of using a headset for Skype calls on my
Dell XPS M1300 laptop, I've discovered that my voice
was being picked up not from the mic on the headset but
from the laptop's built-in microphone. *The headset's red
mic plug was inserted firmly into the mic jack on the front
edge of the laptop, but the audio was still detected only
by the laptop's built-in mic. *Does anyone have a clue
why the audio source wasn't changed the headset mic
when the headset mic was plugged in?

*TimDaniels*

Maybe you're thinking this is the same as earphones...plugging-in
disconnects the speakers?
Old February 6th 12, 08:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

On 6/02/2012 7:19 PM, Krypsis wrote:
[...]

Omitted to mention .... go to use advanced options to move the items
to a preferred order instead of the drop box. The drop box only selects
(and temporarily overrides) default settings from the advanced options.
A touch of "oldtimers disease"!

--

Krypsis
Old February 7th 12, 01:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Krypsis" wrote in message ...
[...]

OK, that did it (when I finally figured out that "Tools" meant the "Tools"
in the Skype UI panel). I selected "Microphone/Line In" in the dropdown
menu, and that did it. I had been selecting "Line" and "Mic" in the Sigmatel
UI that appeared whenever the headset was plugged in, but neither worked
to switch the input device to the headset microphone.
Thank you, Krypsis!

*TimDaniels*

Old February 7th 12, 01:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Krypsis" added:
Omitted to mention .... go to use advanced options to move the items to a preferred order instead of the drop box.
The drop box only selects (and temporarily overrides) default settings from the advanced options. A touch of
"oldtimers disease"!

--

Krypsis

There was nothing in the Advanced/Advanced Settings - nothing
displayed, nothing to select. My Skype installation must be a little
different from yours. Thanks for the addendum, though. It might
help someone else.

*TimDaniels*

Old February 7th 12, 08:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

On 6/02/2012 11:47 PM, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Feb 6, 1:00 am, "Timothy wrote:
After months of using a headset for Skype calls on my
Dell XPS M1300 laptop, I've discovered that my voice
was being picked up not from the mic on the headset but
from the laptop's built-in microphone. The headset's red
mic plug was inserted firmly into the mic jack on the front
edge of the laptop, but the audio was still detected only
by the laptop's built-in mic. Does anyone have a clue
why the audio source wasn't changed the headset mic
when the headset mic was plugged in?

*TimDaniels*

Maybe you're thinking this is the same as earphones...plugging-in
disconnects the speakers?

No, this is not his problem. Tim, like me, has more than one audio input
device available. It's really a matter of selecting priorities or
"defaults". Skype, on some versions at least, gives the user options to
prioritise which device gets used and when. I find it especially useful
for sound output as I have at least 2 outputs generally available.
General PC audio uses my USB speakers. Skype however will default to the
USB headset "if" it is plugged in. If not, the next fallback are the USB
speakers. One very handy feature is that you can set the Skype ring to
always use speakers by default. This is especially beneficial when you
get a call coming in and you aren't wearing the headset.

--

Krypsis
Old February 7th 12, 08:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

On 7/02/2012 12:44 PM, Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Krypsis" added:
Omitted to mention .... go touse advanced options to move the items to a preferred order instead of the drop box.
The drop box only selects (and temporarily overrides) default settings from the advanced options. A touch of
"oldtimers disease"!

--

Krypsis

There was nothing in the Advanced/Advanced Settings - nothing
displayed, nothing to select. My Skype installation must be a little
different from yours. Thanks for the addendum, though. It might
help someone else.

*TimDaniels*

My Powermac version of Skype is different to the PC version I generally
use. What version of Skype are you using and what hardware/OS do you use
it on?

--

Krypsis
Old February 7th 12, 08:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

On 7/02/2012 12:42 PM, Timothy Daniels wrote:
wrote in message ...
[...]

It took me quite a while to work out all the nuances of Skype. These
seem to change with every iteration as well. One problem I have with the
Skype version that I am currently using is that it seems to forget my
defaults every now and then.
See if you can see anywhere in your version to set the defaults. It
makes life incredibly easy, especially if you are using Skype on a
notebook and want to use the headset instead of the onboard Mic and
speakers. Saves having to change the inputs and outpouts every time you
plug a headset in.

--

Krypsis