manufacturing mode: level [67]

Old November 24th 08, 04:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Michael Arm

Default manufacturing mode: level [67]

Anyone know what this is. My daughter is getting it on her dell
Lattitude 610, Google provides nothing useful.

Thanks,
mike
Old November 24th 08, 11:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Michael Arm" wrote in message
Anyone know what this is. My daughter is getting it on her dell
Lattitude 610, Google provides nothing useful.

Thanks,
mike

Have her F2 into BIOS/system setup (at the Dell splash screen) and default
the BIOS settings. ALT+F might do it, if not, arrow down to the bottom of
the BIOS index and select "defaults" (under system maintenance, perhaps).

Old November 24th 08, 12:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Michael Arm

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 05:18:21 -0600, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

"Michael Arm" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone know what this is. My daughter is getting it on her dell
Lattitude 610, Google provides nothing useful.

Thanks,
mike

Have her F2 into BIOS/system setup (at the Dell splash screen) and default
the BIOS settings. ALT+F might do it, if not, arrow down to the bottom of
the BIOS index and select "defaults" (under system maintenance, perhaps).

I have tried that...that is what I found googling. When the machine
pwers up, it goes directly to the message. No splash screen, no bios.
It does this almost immediately.

Thanks
MIke
Old November 24th 08, 02:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

wrote:

"Michael Arm" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone know what this is. My daughter is getting it on her dell
Lattitude 610, Google provides nothing useful.

Thanks,
mike

Have her F2 into BIOS/system setup (at the Dell splash screen) and default
the BIOS settings. ALT+F might do it, if not, arrow down to the bottom of
the BIOS index and select "defaults" (under system maintenance, perhaps).

I have tried that...that is what I found googling. When the machine
pwers up, it goes directly to the message. No splash screen, no bios.
It does this almost immediately.

Thanks
MIke

Mike-

Older Dell desktops could be forced into 'manufacturing mode' by manually
moving/removing system board jumpers if I recall correctly.

You've likely got a system board problem.

Short of replacement, the system probably needs to be disassembled powered
down with the main battery removed. You're going to want to locate the CMOS
battery and either temporarily remove it or possibly replace it. You don't
mention if this unit is a C610 or a D610 (I'd guess the former would be more
at risk of a dead/dying CMOS battery), so here's the main system index to
find the instructions for disassembly:
http://support.dell.com/support/syst...&s=dhs&~cat=12

Further, if it is indeed a C610, I wouldn't put a ton of money or time into
it. IMO, it's not worth it. Might be time for a system upgrade.

HTH

Stew

Old November 24th 08, 04:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

find the instructions for disassembly:http://support.dell.com/support/syst...on.aspx?c=us&c...

Further, if it is indeed a C610, I wouldn't put a ton of money or time into
it. *IMO, it's not worth it. *Might be time for a system upgrade.

HTH

Stew

Its a D610 (3.5 years old) I thought about looking for and pulling
the CMOS Battery. I will look at the jumpers as well, hadn't thought
about those. From what little is available, I suspect the system board
as well. I won't put any money into it. I will pass my E1505 to my
daughter and have an excuse to get another laptop, possibly an XPS
M1530.

I just need to pull the disk and pull of some data.

Thanks,
Mike
Old November 24th 08, 05:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I don't think there will be any jumper(s) involved in this laptop. It turns
out that the coin cell/CMOS battery is quite easy to access on your model:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1123951

I'm very interested to know why the system would've 'placed itself' into
'maintenance mode'. Other than some sort of board failure or inadvertent
BIOS setting I have no idea.

Perhaps even pulling the CMOS battery for a short period of time might
resolve the issue.

-Stew

Old November 24th 08, 06:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

S.Lewis wrote on Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:20:37 -0600:
Mike,

I don't think there will be any jumper(s) involved in this laptop.
It turns out that the coin cell/CMOS battery is quite easy to access
on your model:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1123951

I'm very interested to know why the system would've 'placed itself'
into 'maintenance mode'. Other than some sort of board failure or
inadvertent BIOS setting I have no idea.

Perhaps even pulling the CMOS battery for a short period of time
might resolve the issue.

It is called job security. As some makes and models when the battery
dies, the computer refuses to boot and then it gets the computer in for
service. Much like some automobiles are programmed to kick on the check
engine light at around 70,000 miles. Nothing is wrong of course. It's
just to get you into the shop so they can charge you money for things
you didn't really need. The trick of course is like dealing with
computers. As you disconnect the battery for awhile and that resets the
70,000 mile counter back to zero again.

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 8GB 1GB SoDIMM Adata 16GB
Old November 26th 08, 08:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Michael Arm

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:26:12 -0600, BillW50 wrote:

[...]

I followed all the steps people outlined here including disconnecting
the cmos battery. The battery tested at the full 3v. The bios was
reset/cleared I guess.

Still could not get past the maintenance mode. It did recognize that I
needed to run setup, but gave me no way to get into it. It also
thought the hard disk was corrupt. So, I gave up. Pulled up an old
laptop and put the hard drive in it and booted to an acronis recovery
disk. I had not used the recovery boot cd i made and was supprised to
that it included a full acronis install. I backed up the entire hard
drive to a WD 320gb external laptop drive. I restored the backup to
the same drive sucessfully.

So I figure that the D610 has a dead bios/MB. The E1505 goes to my
daughter and I bought a M1530 from the outlet store.

I did not want to pull the drive from the E1505, so I used an old
laptop, as mentioned. Keeping old equipment like that around is handy.
Although I have a lattitude cpxj around, I actually took a c820 from
work hoping it would be faster. The killer was usb1.1 ports, so speed
did not help.

Thnaks for the help.

Mike
Old November 27th 08, 12:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

[...]

Thanks for posting a final result. Sorry it wasn't a better outcome.

-Stew

Old August 24th 10, 07:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
gk64419

Michael Arm;860717 Wrote:

* manufacturing mode: level [67]*
Lattitude 610, Google provides nothing useful.

This may or may not help... but it is a very useful tool when dealing
with bios issues on dell notebooks. It is the actual BIOS Upgrade For
Service Technicians Only Disc that comes with replacement boards. It
has 172 different BIOS updates for several Dell Notebooks. 3 files make
an iso file to burn. Enjoy!

'http://cid-d647494e9bbeecd0.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=D647494E9BBEECD0!134&Bpub=SDX.Doc s&Bsrc=GetSharingLink'
(http://cid-d647494e9bbeecd0.skydrive...GetSharingLink)

gk64419