High speed 120mm PWM fan for 4 pin CPU header

Old July 25th 08, 07:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Default High speed 120mm PWM fan for 4 pin CPU header

Hi,

Can't seem to find any of these fans with max speed greater than 1500
RPM. Anyone know of any capable of 2000 RPM or greater? Not interested
in 3 pin fans here since they'll be maxed all the time on the 4 pin
header (ASUS MB). Thanks.
Old July 25th 08, 08:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Andy Burns[_2_]

On 25/07/2008 19:16, wrote:

Can't seem to find any of these fans with max speed greater than 1500
RPM. Anyone know of any capable of 2000 RPM or greater? Not interested
in 3 pin fans here since they'll be maxed all the time on the 4 pin
header (ASUS MB). Thanks.

For a machine where I wanted a specific (slim) 3-pin fan, but wanted
4-pin for speed control, I bought one of these

http://www.paqt.co.uk/store/index.ph...od&productId=5

Which modulates a 3-pin fan, without losing fan sensor readings, the web
site shows a "prototype" the actual one on sale is a proper PCB, not
just knocked up on veroboard.
Old July 25th 08, 09:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
JR Weiss

wrote...

Can't seem to find any of these fans with max speed greater than 1500
RPM. Anyone know of any capable of 2000 RPM or greater? Not interested
in 3 pin fans here since they'll be maxed all the time on the 4 pin
header (ASUS MB). Thanks.

Why do you think you need a higher-speed fan? The idea behind larger fans is to
turn them more slowly and keep them quieter...

Old July 25th 08, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Okay, thanks.

Old July 25th 08, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Why do you think you need a higher-speed fan?

Based on temperature measurements.

The idea behind larger fans is to turn them more slowly and keep them quieter...

Great idea and with thermal control you decide how fast you want them
to turn at idle and under load. This makes the speed and noise at idle
independent of the fan's maximum speed. However, if CPU temperature
dictates a higher speed requirement under load than the fan is capable
of delivering then one option is to look for a faster fan. Fans are
usually cheap.

wrote...

Old July 26th 08, 05:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
peter

here are a couple of choices

Antec Tri Cool...1200/1600/2200 RPM

NMB-MAT (Panaflo) 120 mm Ball Bearing Fan 2500RPM 104CFM 41.5DBA, RPM Sensor

NMB-MAT (Panaflo) 120MM Hydro Wave Bearing Fan 2100RPM 86.5CFM 35.50DBA
W/SENSOR 120X120X38MM RoHS

Silverstone 120MM FM121 Case Fan 800-2500RPM 17-39.5DBA MAX. 110CFM W/ Black
Knob

peter

wrote in message
Why do you think you need a higher-speed fan?

Based on temperature measurements.

The idea behind larger fans is to turn them more slowly and keep them
quieter...

Great idea and with thermal control you decide how fast you want them
to turn at idle and under load. This makes the speed and noise at idle
independent of the fan's maximum speed. However, if CPU temperature
dictates a higher speed requirement under load than the fan is capable
of delivering then one option is to look for a faster fan. Fans are
usually cheap.

On Jul 25, 4:12 pm, "JR Weiss"
wrote...

Old July 26th 08, 04:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

here are a couple of choices

Thanks but neither the Antec nor the Silverstone are PWM fans so I
assume the rest aren't either.

Old July 26th 08, 04:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

wrote:
here are a couple of choices

Thanks but neither the Antec nor the Silverstone are PWM fans so I
assume the rest aren't either.

There is one here.

http://www.rexususa.com/fans/21225-4.html

Available for $18

Rexflo DF1212025BH-PWMG 120mm Case Fan - Retail

You can see the 4 wire connector on the end here.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...705-025-04.jpg

Paul

Old July 26th 08, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Thanks. Just what I'm looking for. Even see it cheaper elsewhere.

Rexflo DF1212025BH-PWMG 120mm Case Fan - Retailhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835705025

Old July 31st 08, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

Got two at $10.50 each here;

http://www.coolerguys.com/rexpwm.html

Quite good.