T/Bird 1GHz or Duron 1.3GHz

Old June 25th 03, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Soupladel

Default T/Bird 1GHz or Duron 1.3GHz

which chip will give the better performance between the Thunderbird 1GHz and
the Duron 1.3GHz?

I am limited for choice as to what procesor I can get in my motherboard
(Abit KT7) and although the best i could hope for would a 1.3GHz
Thunderbird, I can't find anywhere that is still selling these. I currently
have the 1GHz Thunderbird but was wondering if the 1.3GHz Duron would give
me any sort of advantage?

I am really just looking for something to tide me over until I can afford to
upgrade my MOBO, CPU and RAM.

Soupladel

Old June 25th 03, 02:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Stacey

Soupladel wrote:

which chip will give the better performance between the Thunderbird 1GHz
and the Duron 1.3GHz?

I am limited for choice as to what procesor I can get in my motherboard
(Abit KT7) and although the best i could hope for would a 1.3GHz
Thunderbird, I can't find anywhere that is still selling these. I
currently have the 1GHz Thunderbird but was wondering if the 1.3GHz Duron
would give me any sort of advantage?

I am really just looking for something to tide me over until I can afford
to upgrade my MOBO, CPU and RAM.

Keep saving, you'll see almost no difference.
--

Stacey
Old June 25th 03, 03:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Peter van der Goes

"Soupladel" wrote in message
which chip will give the better performance between the Thunderbird 1GHz

and
the Duron 1.3GHz?

I am limited for choice as to what procesor I can get in my motherboard
(Abit KT7) and although the best i could hope for would a 1.3GHz
Thunderbird, I can't find anywhere that is still selling these. I

currently
have the 1GHz Thunderbird but was wondering if the 1.3GHz Duron would give
me any sort of advantage?

I am really just looking for something to tide me over until I can afford

upgrade my MOBO, CPU and RAM.

Soupladel

Here's a better option if you care to overclock.
Unlock your 1GHz Athlon - close the L1 bridges (lots of articles on the
web).
Set your multiplier up from 10 (assuming you are now at 10 x 100) in
increments of 1, testing for stability.
You should be able to achieve at least 1.2GHz, maybe 1.3GHZ. Either is
better than a 1.3GHz Duron.
Caveats: This assumes your motherboard supports multiplier changes.
Overclocking is at your own risk.

Old June 25th 03, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:09:48 +0000, Soupladel wrote:

which chip will give the better performance between the Thunderbird 1GHz
and the Duron 1.3GHz?

I am limited for choice as to what procesor I can get in my motherboard
(Abit KT7) and although the best i could hope for would a 1.3GHz
Thunderbird, I can't find anywhere that is still selling these. I
currently have the 1GHz Thunderbird but was wondering if the 1.3GHz Duron
would give me any sort of advantage?

I am really just looking for something to tide me over until I can afford
to upgrade my MOBO, CPU and RAM.

You aren't limited to what you think. See sig. See link.

Old June 25th 03, 05:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Soupladel

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2003.06.25.15.41.32.338266@SICKOFSPAMveri zon.net...
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:09:48 +0000, Soupladel wrote:

which chip will give the better performance between the Thunderbird 1GHz
and the Duron 1.3GHz?

I am limited for choice as to what procesor I can get in my motherboard
(Abit KT7) and although the best i could hope for would a 1.3GHz
Thunderbird, I can't find anywhere that is still selling these. I
currently have the 1GHz Thunderbird but was wondering if the 1.3GHz

Duron
would give me any sort of advantage?

I am really just looking for something to tide me over until I can

afford
to upgrade my MOBO, CPU and RAM.

You aren't limited to what you think. See sig. See link.

what is the multiplier default for an Athlon XP 2000+ ?

I'd be quite happy to get one of these chips as long as i Don't have to go
messing about with bridges on the chip, but of course if all models are
locked at 10.5 muliplier then i would't really have much use for one!

Soupladel

Old June 25th 03, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:15:22 +0000, Soupladel wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2003.06.25.15.41.32.338266@SICKOFSPAMveri zon.net...
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:09:48 +0000, Soupladel wrote:

which chip will give the better performance between the Thunderbird
1GHz and the Duron 1.3GHz?

I am limited for choice as to what procesor I can get in my
motherboard (Abit KT7) and although the best i could hope for would a
1.3GHz Thunderbird, I can't find anywhere that is still selling these.
I currently have the 1GHz Thunderbird but was wondering if the 1.3GHz

Duron
would give me any sort of advantage?

I am really just looking for something to tide me over until I can

afford
to upgrade my MOBO, CPU and RAM.

You aren't limited to what you think. See sig. See link.

what is the multiplier default for an Athlon XP 2000+ ?

12.5. Not high enough for the upper multipliers to work. A 2100+ Tbred B
core will just drop right in and default to 20x100 (2000MHz).

I'd be quite happy to get one of these chips as long as i Don't have to go
messing about with bridges on the chip, but of course if all models are
locked at 10.5 muliplier then i would't really have much use for one!

2100+ Tbred B core is plug and play. But it has to be a B core tbred. A
Palomino is locked and will boot at 13x100, and a Tbred A core will try
ansd boot at 20x100 but won't run that fast.