Why do lithium batteries explode?

Old September 5th 16, 06:39 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware
amdx[_2_]

Default Why do lithium batteries explode?

I think it's Lithium just being Lithium.
Mikek

Old September 5th 16, 06:46 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

On Mon, 5 Sep 2016 12:39:34 -0500, amdx wrote:

I think it's Lithium just being Lithium.
Mikek

Ha Ha.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

Devil incarnate, Linux user#666, ******* hacker, Resident evil, Monkey Boy,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

Old September 5th 16, 09:51 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware
John Robertson

On 09/05/2016 10:39 AM, amdx wrote:
I think it's Lithium just being Lithium.
Mikek

" lithium is highly reactive and flammable."

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old September 6th 16, 04:03 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware
amdx[_2_]

On 9/5/2016 3:51 PM, John Robertson wrote:
On 09/05/2016 10:39 AM, amdx wrote:
I think it's Lithium just being Lithium.
Mikek

" lithium is highly reactive and flammable."

John :-#)#

That was my point.

Mikek
Old September 6th 16, 04:58 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 6/09/16 23:03, amdx wrote:

That was my point.

Most mortals don't know what lithium is and how it behaves. Mind to
summarize?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
ä¸å€Ÿè²¸! ä¸è©é¨™! ä¸æ´äº¤! ä¸æ‰“交! ä¸æ‰“劫! ä¸è‡ªæ®º! è«‹è€ƒæ…®ç¶œæ´ (CSSA):
Old September 6th 16, 05:09 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware
Poutnik[_4_]

On 09/06/2016 05:03 PM, amdx wrote:
On 9/5/2016 3:51 PM, John Robertson wrote:
On 09/05/2016 10:39 AM, amdx wrote:
I think it's Lithium just being Lithium.
Mikek

" lithium is highly reactive and flammable."

John :-#)#

That was my point.

With a note that Li-ion/pol cell chemistry
( one of many cell chemistries based on lithium )
at normal circumstances does not contain free metallic lithium.

The neutral lithium atoms are intercalated
within the honeycomb plates of graphite electrode.

Only in case the cell is overcharged, the metallic lithium
eventually starts to deposit on the anode graphite surface.

Reaction rates of undesired exothermic side reactions increases,
involving namely with metal oxides of cathode
eventually the LiPF6 electrolytes
and organic carbonates R-O-CO-O-R'.

The carbonates are flameable liquid and combined with the lithium
cam make a hell from such damaged battery.

a notebook battery intentionally brought to critical damage point
can cause up to 2 m high violet and violent flame.
Old September 6th 16, 06:09 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware
Paul[_28_]

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 6/09/16 23:03, amdx wrote:

That was my point.

Most mortals don't know what lithium is and how it behaves. Mind to
summarize?

It behaves badly and its parents have it on a
strict 10PM curfew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium

The Alkali Metals: Reaction of Lithium with the air (Flash Video)

http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/r...id=CMP00002467

Paul
Old September 6th 16, 10:27 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware
Tekkie®

Paul posted for all of us...

The Alkali Metals: Reaction of Lithium with the air (Flash Video)

Clever little word there (stupid mind can't come up with the correct term.)

Old September 6th 16, 10:31 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware
James Wilkinson[_2_]

On Fri, 02 Sep 2016 19:55:01 +0100, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37255127

Samsung's decision to halt sales of the new Galaxy Note 7 because of
reports of battery explosions is an extraordinary step for a tech giant
to take.

The firm said it had identified a battery issue but did not elaborate.

But if a lithium-ion battery cell charges too quickly or a tiny
manufacturing error slips through the net it can result in a short
circuit - which can lead to fire.

One expert urged the industry to find safer alternatives to lithium.

"I think one should be concerned and push towards safer battery tech,"
said energy storage expert Professor Clare Grey from Cambridge University.

"That should be an important focus on research and industry development.

"While most manufacturing flaws will be picked up during initial
testing, it's not an infallible process."

However Prof Grey also said that people should not panic.

"I'm standing at an airport - every single person would have to stop
what they are doing if we took their batteries away from them," she said.

"We all take risks in our lives - we drive cars sitting on top of
flammable organic liquids. Other tech is coming along that is safer."
Common causes

There have only been 35 cases of the Galaxy Note 7 catching fire
reported worldwide following 2.5 million sales, Samsung says.

35 / 2.5 million = very small number.

--
Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
Old November 1st 16, 08:59 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.freeware
[email protected]

When I was a teen in the 1970s, my uncle in law was in charge of the
battery yard for the (seven) submarines of the Greek Navy. He would have
nightmares of the batteries exploding. Specifically, it was hydrogen buildup
which was most explosive. Batteries are stored energy, which is why they
explode. I can't believe how naive folks can be thinking that you can store
ANY energy and NOT have the possibility of an explosion. TNT and rocket fuel
is based on nitrogen triple bonds which are the most potent known fuel
source.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Will I explode myself? Grinder General 7 August 18th 08 02:58 AM
Maybe it won't explode... mike3 Overclocking 1 February 10th 07 06:12 AM
laptop makers seeking better standards for lithium-ion batteries YKhan General 2 November 1st 06 12:09 PM
WTB: US17670GR Lithium Ion Battery Cells. Chris Homebuilt PC's 1 February 24th 04 02:25 PM
Lithium-Ion Batteries Column Ogden Johnson III Dell Computers 4 January 13th 04 04:47 AM