do I really need a negative holder to scan with vuescan?

Old January 10th 05, 02:03 AM

Default do I really need a negative holder to scan with vuescan?

hi,

I'm thinking of gettng a scanner that is on the vuescan compatibility
list. I want to scan some 4x5 b&w negatives. Could I just put the
negative on the flatbed and scan it with that software, or would I
have to have some kind of 4x5b negative holder?

thanks,

tracy
Old January 10th 05, 03:29 AM
CSM1

wrote in message
hi,

I'm thinking of gettng a scanner that is on the vuescan compatibility
list. I want to scan some 4x5 b&w negatives. Could I just put the
negative on the flatbed and scan it with that software, or would I
have to have some kind of 4x5b negative holder?

thanks,

tracy

If the scanner has a transparency adapter, then the calibration slot must
not be blocked. Otherwise you may not need a holder.

If the scanner does not have a transparency adapter, putting the 4x5 on the
glass with a white sheet of paper behind it will work in reflective mode.
Not as good as a scanner with a 4x5 transparency capacity.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old January 10th 05, 04:24 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 03:29:54 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
hi,

I'm thinking of gettng a scanner that is on the vuescan compatibility
list. I want to scan some 4x5 b&w negatives. Could I just put the
negative on the flatbed and scan it with that software, or would I
have to have some kind of 4x5b negative holder?

thanks,

tracy

If the scanner has a transparency adapter, then the calibration slot must
not be blocked. Otherwise you may not need a holder.

If the scanner does not have a transparency adapter, putting the 4x5 on the
glass with a white sheet of paper behind it will work in reflective mode.
Not as good as a scanner with a 4x5 transparency capacity.

I guess I need to find out if there's a 4x5 transparency adapter for
it. I'm looking at a HP 5300C right now. I kinda doubt it.

thanks,

tracy
Old January 10th 05, 05:34 AM
Tom Ellliott

I guess I need to find out if there's a 4x5 transparency adapter for
it. I'm looking at a HP 5300C right now. I kinda doubt it.

Even if your flatbed does not have a transparency adaptor you can do what I
did untill I got my Epson 2450 at Goodwill for $20.00.
Here is the link: http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com/hp-scanner.html
"They" said it couldn't be done and yet there is the proof it CAN be done if
one is carefull and skillfull.
The higher the optical resollution the better the results. In my case I did
push things a bit and went for the highest interpolated resolution I could
get.
Have fun.
Yours,
Tom Elliott
Photographer
http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com

Old January 10th 05, 06:41 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:34:57 -0500, "Tom Ellliott"
wrote:

Even if your flatbed does not have a transparency adaptor you can do what I
did untill I got my Epson 2450 at Goodwill for $20.00.
Here is the link: http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com/hp-scanner.html
"They" said it couldn't be done and yet there is the proof it CAN be done if
one is carefull and skillfull.
The higher the optical resollution the better the results. In my case I did
push things a bit and went for the highest interpolated resolution I could
get.
Have fun.

Oh, wow. Well what if I just tape the negative to a light box, turn it
upside down, and put the whole thing on any kind of flatbed scanner?
Would that work? I already have a small/medium light box that was
hand made.

I am not looking to make a billboard from the negative. I just want
to put the photos on my photo blog for friends.

tracy

Old January 10th 05, 04:07 PM
bmoag

Flatbed scanners will not work attached to a light box because unless they
have transparency scanning capabilities there is no way to turn off the
scanning light.
Flatbed/transparency scanners can be had new for under $150: they scan 35mm
ugly but are fine for your uses for 4x5 materials.
Depending on the scanner and the condition of your film sometimes it seems
necessary to put a piece of glass over the film to flatten it. Flatbeds do
not autofocus so the further the material is off the glass the worse the
results

Old January 10th 05, 06:01 PM
CSM1

"bmoag" wrote in message
Flatbed scanners will not work attached to a light box because unless they
have transparency scanning capabilities there is no way to turn off the
scanning light.
Flatbed/transparency scanners can be had new for under $150: they scan
35mm ugly but are fine for your uses for 4x5 materials.
Depending on the scanner and the condition of your film sometimes it seems
necessary to put a piece of glass over the film to flatten it. Flatbeds do
not autofocus so the further the material is off the glass the worse the
results

On top of not being able to turn off the light, Mains or AC powered light
boxes have a 50 or 60 cycle flicker that show up in the scan as little black
lines.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old January 10th 05, 07:55 PM
Tom Ellliott

Well.......
"bmoag" wrote in message
Flatbed scanners will not work attached to a light box because unless they
have transparency scanning capabilities there is no way to turn off the
scanning light.

Go here and see one that works:
http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com/hp-scanner.html
Also a few scans done with my hardware hack.

Flatbed/transparency scanners can be had new for under $150: they scan

35mm
ugly but are fine for your uses for 4x5 materials.

After I did my hardware hack I got a Microtek 5900 with a 4x5 builtin trans
adaptor. Then I had a little bit of luck and found an Epson 2450 with a 4x9
trans adaptor at Goodwill for $20.00!!!! I gave the original flatbed to my
kids and I now have two flatbeds that work just fine for every thing from
35mm up to 4x5. Now if I need a better scan than these two have to offer
then I get Kodaks ProPhotoCD scan. If one is carefull and knows how to use
the hardware/software combintaion then rarely do you have to send out for
either the ProPhotoCD or....a drum scan.
Seeing is believeing and it is really too bad some of the nay sayers don't
live here in the Miami area to see the brochures, newsletters, calendars,
and sunday supliments I have done with the above equipment. I mean when I
had my "little" Nikon 995 I shot corporate headshots. I now have a Nikon D70
and shoot raw.
I have had art directors that were so against 35mm I would show the pictures
first, then if they asked tell what the format was. As to 35 just look at
National Geographic Magazine - the best example of fine 35mm work.
So those of you out there on a limited hardware budget don't let the
flammers - nay sayers and hardware snobs say it can't be done, because it
can be done.

Depending on the scanner and the condition of your film sometimes it seems
necessary to put a piece of glass over the film to flatten it. Flatbeds do
not autofocus so the further the material is off the glass the worse the
results

Complete agreement on that point. In fact I am looking for an AnitNewton
glass to do just that, meanwhile I put the emulsion face down and flop in
Photo Shop.
Have fun and make pictures.
Yours,
Tom Elliott Photography

Old January 10th 05, 07:56 PM
Tom Ellliott

See my above posts and I never had the flicker problem with my hardware
hack. http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com/hp-scanner.html
"CSM1" wrote in message
om...

Old January 11th 05, 03:26 AM

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:56:04 -0500, "Tom Ellliott"

well, I tried something pretty weird. I taped the negative to the
glass, covered it with a piece of paper, and held a cheap clip-on
lamp over it. It came out looking like an old tintype. it would be
cool, if that was the look I was going for.

tracy