USB power

Old October 29th 04, 10:55 AM
DevilsPGD

Default USB power

I'm running a GA-8IPE1000 Pro3 (latest BIOS, for whatever that's worth)

Is there any way to turn off the power to these external devices when
the system is powered off?

I've got a few accessories that light up when they detect power coming
from the USB ports, and a USB external hard drive which runs from the
USB port's power. All these accessories stay running after the system
powers down.

I've tried turning off the option to power the system on from the
keyboard, I can't think of anything else which might be relevant.

Anyone have any suggestions?

--
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me.
Old October 30th 04, 06:39 AM
Edward W. Thompson

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:55:10 -0600, DevilsPGD
wrote:

I'm running a GA-8IPE1000 Pro3 (latest BIOS, for whatever that's worth)

Is there any way to turn off the power to these external devices when
the system is powered off?

I've got a few accessories that light up when they detect power coming
from the USB ports, and a USB external hard drive which runs from the
USB port's power. All these accessories stay running after the system
powers down.

I've tried turning off the option to power the system on from the
keyboard, I can't think of anything else which might be relevant.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I switch the power off to the machine using the switch on the PSU.
Don't think there is any other way.
Old October 31st 04, 06:49 AM
johnnyc

what i do is switch the psu power off, hit the power button on the case...
this pushes all the power out of the circuits... then u can turn the psu
back on...

u dig?
james.

Old October 31st 04, 07:50 PM
DevilsPGD

johnnyc wrote:
what i do is switch the psu power off, hit the power button on the case...
this pushes all the power out of the circuits... then u can turn the psu
back on...

u dig?

I've done that on a number of cases, but as soon as the power supply's
always-on +5VDC rail comes on, the USB power returns.

The only thing I can think of would be to put in a PCI USB card, I've
got a spare one that provides it's power from a +5VDC floppy connector,
but that seems like such a waste.

FWIW, I'm not actually drawing power from the USB ports, I have an
external powered USB HUB which successfully turns on and off based on
whether the PC is providing power. I have confirmed the same occurs
from the motherboard's USB ports directly though, so bypassing the USB
hub isn't a workaround.

--
Hey, it's the female man.
-- Bart Simpson
Old October 31st 04, 11:46 PM
Jim

if you are XP look here
http://www.procat.com/Winner/tips/us.../usbpower.html I got win 2k pro
and the same option is there , it is not checked by default. If you got
Linux there is a stand alone routine to control it but i forget where

Jim.

Dead computer? Patty Homebuilt PC's 63 February 4th 05 08:06 AM
power on /reset switch problems chris Homebuilt PC's 5 January 4th 05 02:52 PM
PSU Fans Muttly General 16 February 13th 04 10:42 PM
Won't Power Up after Power Outage Greg Lovern Homebuilt PC's 7 February 8th 04 01:47 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking AMD Processors 326 November 27th 03 07:54 PM