Latitude D420 and External USB DVD drive

Old March 12th 10, 06:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justin[_8_]

Default Latitude D420 and External USB DVD drive

Can any external USB DVD drive with with this laptop? This includes the
ability to boot from a DVD to install little things - like the operating
system.
Or do I have to get a Dell proprietary drive?
Old March 12th 10, 04:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Justin wrote:
Can any external USB DVD drive with with this laptop? This includes the
ability to boot from a DVD to install little things - like the operating
system.
Or do I have to get a Dell proprietary drive?

you do not need a dell branded external usb drive to work with your
latitude d420. i would recommend this toshiba drive that not only plays
dvds but can also record them. it has a cable that uses two usb
connectors on the laptop, one for data and one for power. this makes it
very easy to run when traveling (on battery) and eliminates the need for
a clumsy ac adapter and power outlet.
http://tinyurl.com/yatw6ne
Old March 12th 10, 10:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justin[_8_]

In article ,
Christopher Muto wrote:

Justin wrote:
Can any external USB DVD drive with with this laptop? This includes the
ability to boot from a DVD to install little things - like the operating
system.
Or do I have to get a Dell proprietary drive?

you do not need a dell branded external usb drive to work with your
latitude d420. i would recommend this toshiba drive that not only plays
dvds but can also record them. it has a cable that uses two usb
connectors on the laptop, one for data and one for power. this makes it
very easy to run when traveling (on battery) and eliminates the need for
a clumsy ac adapter and power outlet.
http://tinyurl.com/yatw6ne

Understood, and it makes sense.
This machine is going to be my "crapbook."
I'm doing some traveling to parts of the world; and I need a machine
that I don't care about. No big deal if it gets stolen, destroyed or
eaten by the Chupacabra.
Old March 13th 10, 01:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Friday, March 12, 2010 10:01 AM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Latitude D420 and External USB DVD drive
Subject: Latitude D420 and External USB DVD drive

Justin wrote:
Can any external USB DVD drive with with this laptop? This includes

the
ability to boot from a DVD to install little things - like the

operating
system.
Or do I have to get a Dell proprietary drive?

you do not need a dell branded external usb drive to work with your
latitude d420. i would recommend this toshiba drive that not only
plays
dvds but can also record them. it has a cable that uses two usb
connectors on the laptop, one for data and one for power. this makes
it
very easy to run when traveling (on battery) and eliminates the need
for
a clumsy ac adapter and power outlet.
http://tinyurl.com/yatw6ne

I have the same drive and have yet to find a time when I had to plug in
the second USB connector. Perhaps when writing (I haven't tried that).

Old March 13th 10, 02:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Justin wrote:
[...]

tom, that is interesting. perhaps it is only needed with certain
laptops that don't direct much power to the usb ports. the lattitude
d420 has two 'regular' usb ports next to each other on the rear of the
system and also a 'powered' usb port on the rear... not certain what
they mean by powered usb port but perhaps the other are lower power.
some laptops have single usb ports on opposing side of the system (xps
m1330 comes to mind) and that makes plugging in one of these dual usb
drive difficult without an extension cable.
Old March 13th 10, 02:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
WSZsr

Use a USB flash drive instead of a DVD USB drive. You can install just
about anything from a USB flash drive.

Old March 16th 10, 11:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justin[_8_]

Justin wrote:
[...]

I believe USB2 provides more amperage than USB1 - so when plugging that
drive into a USB1 port it needs the second cable.