News Flash! No More Windows Discs!

Old March 5th 10, 02:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

Default News Flash! No More Windows Discs!

Attention All:

Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.

Not any more.

"Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
media."

https://support.dell.com/support/top...942&l=en&s=dhs

Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.

And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm
negotiating with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this article
was first published.

Daddy
Old March 5th 10, 04:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Thursday, March 04, 2010 8:19 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: News Flash! No More Windows Discs!
Subject: News Flash! No More Windows Discs!

Attention All:

Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows
install
disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.

Not any more.

"Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the
recovery
disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system
recovery
media."

https://support.dell.com/support/top...rt/dsn/documen
t?c=us&cs=19&docid=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E1294 2&l=en&s=dhs

Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.

And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm
negotiating with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this

article
was first published.

Daddy

I've purchased three Dell laptops in the last three months from Best
Buy, including one about 10 days ago.

All came with full Windows CDs. Not sure about the link or what
machines they're talking about.

Old March 5th 10, 09:42 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Hank Arnold

On 3/4/2010 9:19 PM, Daddy wrote:
[...]

We just received 4 latitudes and 7 Towers last month and each came with
all the usual disks. I have a lot of copies of W7 32 bit & 64 bit now....

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Old March 5th 10, 01:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
John Novicki

"Daddy" wrote in message
[...]

I have an order in production (from 2/28/10) for a Inspiron Zino HD with
Windows 7 Premium. I let the group know what I get when I receive it.

John

Old March 5th 10, 02:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

[...]

Best Buy can make its own arrangements with Dell.

You bought a computer from Best Buy?

Daddy
Old March 5th 10, 03:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 3/5/2010 9:43 AM, Daddy wrote:

[...]

What's wrong with buying computer gear from Best Buy, Staples, or even
WalMart? If you get exactly what you want and the price is right, you
buy it. For a while, I was buying Linksys WRT54G routers at Walmart for
less than I would pay my distributor for one, and for less than anywhere
else. Well over a year ago when prices were still pretty high, I bought
a pair of 8GB Cruzer flash sticks for $25 apiece at Staples. Long ago,
we entered the commodity age of computing for the most common items.
Make sure you read the warranties first, both mfr and store... Ben Myers

Old March 5th 10, 03:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
GTS[_2_]

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

[...]

I bought 2 Dell laptops in the last few months from Walmart and neither
included a Windows media.

Old March 5th 10, 03:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nick[_7_]

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 21:19:08 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Daddy
wrote:

Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows install
disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.

Not any more.

"Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the
box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery
disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery
disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery
media."

I ordered my XPS 9000 about a month ago, and received it a couple of days
ago. It came with a Dell Win7 reinstallation DVD.

I was surprised that it didn't come with the usual discs with drivers,
utilities, etc.: just the Win7 disc.

What really annoyed me, though, is that the manual doesn't include the usual
instructions for opening the computer case, adding and removing components,
etc. Apparently you have to get that information from Dell's web site.
Which means that if you only own one computer, you might want to print out
the relevant part of the online manual before opening it up to do stuff
inside...

--
Nick

May you live in interesting times...
Old March 5th 10, 04:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

You bought a computer from Best Buy?

Ben said it very well. If you know exactly what you want (and maybe if
they've got a good deal going), and what you're getting, there's no
problem buying from there. And that includes computers.

Just ignore the 'Geek Squad', extended warranties (unless there is an
absolutely screaming good deal on one) and anything else, get what you
want and get out.

Best Buy and related stores do very well when you need something *now*
as well.

William
Old March 5th 10, 04:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Dell doesn't qualify whether that is true for only home store
purchases, business ones or even both. They do mention that media is
available, with a potential cost.

Going through the small business store (which I still advise) still
seems to imply (especially with regard to downgrade options) that you
will receive operating system installation media.

As much as I despise any so-called recovery setups, I'd gladly phone
them up and pay the extra cost. (What could it be, more than a few
bucks?)

William

News: Dell refunds Windows price for Linux User William R. Walsh[_2_] Dell Computers 7 October 22nd 09 02:17 AM
News: Possible reprieve for Windows XP [email protected] Dell Computers 9 April 27th 08 03:24 AM
windows asks me to insert discs that are already inserted Andrew General Hardware 1 May 21st 04 01:13 AM
*news flash* WSZsr Dell Computers 3 November 22nd 03 05:36 PM
NEWS:'Critical' flaw found in Windows trappeduser Homebuilt PC's 14 July 27th 03 01:18 PM