'Build Quality' - What Does It Mean Exactly?

Old January 22nd 10, 04:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

Default 'Build Quality' - What Does It Mean Exactly?

Every now and then there is a discussion here about the 'build quality'
of different Dell model lines. For example, I've read people saying that
Vostro has inferior build quality while Studio has superior build quality.

What exactly is meant by the term 'build quality' as it applies to
desktop computers? Does it mean a sturdy case? Or does it mean that it's
easier to work inside the computer, e.g., to replace/upgrade parts?
Maybe it refers to the quality of the generic parts, like the power supply?

Daddy
Old January 22nd 10, 08:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

What exactly is meant by the term 'build quality' as it applies to
desktop computers?

The definition I use takes into account a few factors:

1. Fit and Finish of the system
2. Presence of *real* operating system reinstallation discs
3. Quality of the case
4. Quality of the parts used inside--PSU, internal structures,
motherboard layout, other internal devices, etc.
5. To a very minor extent, how the system is marketed plays into it.
For example: an OptiPlex is marketed to a business customer.
Businesses sometimes do expect to get many years out of their
equipment before replacing it.
6. Quality of the support--Dell's business class systems get better
support.

Having seen the systems plays into it. The Inspiron desktops seem to
be built around very generic parts that have nothing more than a Dell
name slapped on them, if that much. I've even seen some that use cheap
Bestec power supplies. The way they are put together seems to suggest
economy was the most important point.

An OptiPlex system on the other hand has a thicker, better quality
case, better quality power supply (most appear to be made by Lite-On
IT), and what I'd call a better motherboard.

William
Old January 22nd 10, 10:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

[...]

William,

I think you've nailed it. In the spirit of the on-going ice skating
championships: 10.0. Can't think of much to add. Knowledge of the
brand names of what is inside helps a lot in assessing build quality, as
in your example of Bestec. Ugh! Now go wash out your mouth for writing
such a dirty word. I need to also! ... Ben Myers

Old January 23rd 10, 03:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

how would rate a dell xps 420 ?

Honestly...not very highly. I haven't been hugely impressed by the
Dimension/XPS BTX systems built around Intel processors.

There's just something about them. I can't quite put my finger on it.
I think they feel cheaply made and the engineering of the interior
seems a bit...muddled. Cables are routed strangely, and some of them
are difficult to remove because they've been zip tied into place. Of
course, they are zip tied into place in difficult locations.

Someone *gave* me an XPS 400 after it had been nothing but a pain for
them. It had a rumbling PSU fan. I've never seen that in any other
Dell system--in fact, the only Dell fan I've had trouble with was the
CPU fan in my Dim8300. But that's not a fault of the fan. The P4
Prescott CPU in that Dim8300 always ran so hot that the fan pretty
much ran wide open all the time.

The various OptiPlex models from roughly the same time frame (both
Intel and AMD), as well as the Dimension E521, are much better systems
in my view.

William
Old January 23rd 10, 04:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:17 AM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: 'Build Quality' - What Does It Mean Exactly?
Subject: 'Build Quality' - What Does It Mean Exactly?

[...]

Interesting, as I have found my XPS 410 machines to be the best
engineered, easiest to work on and most reliable computers I have ever
owned. Three of them are video servers/recorders that run 24/7/365 --
about 80% of the time at 100% CPU.

Very nice machines.

Old January 23rd 10, 06:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pacca[_4_]

I also agree with Tom, I had a e521 , I was not impressed with it at all,
had a lot of problems with motherboard , the 420 runs circles around it.

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

Old January 24th 10, 10:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Interesting, as I have found my XPS 410 machines to be the best
engineered, easiest to work on and most reliable computers I have ever
owned. Three of them are video servers/recorders that run 24/7/365 --
about 80% of the time at 100% CPU.

Of the ones that I have seen, I have no complaints about their operating
reliability. I just don't think they can hold a candle to the systems that
came before them. My complaint is solely with their physical design.

William

Old January 24th 10, 10:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

I also agree with Tom, I had a e521 , I was not impressed with it at all,
had a lot of problems with motherboard , the 420 runs circles around it.

Huh. Maybe it was a lemon.

I was given an Dim E521 whose motherboard had been obliterated by lightning.
It was nicely equipped in every other way, and all the other hardware seemed
OK, so I bought a replacement motherboard.

Since that time, it has just run and run. I've been very happy with it. For
whatever reason, I'd swear the case metal is slightly thicker than the XPS
400. Some cables are zip tied into place in the E521 case, but they're not
in awkward places. I did have a bit of a fuss with getting the sound to
work, but I think that was really a result of not getting the right driver
software.

And while I have no justification for it, I like the fact that it displays
an actual system model at POST time, instead of a "series number" like the
Intel based offerings do.

William