Advice needed from those of you wiser than I........

Old December 13th 09, 07:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Gary Baldi

Default Advice needed from those of you wiser than I........

I have an XPS desktop which I'm about to install Win 7 64-bit, my
current OS is Win Vista 32 bit.

The XPS has a video capture card which drives the CCTV installation
here. The card drivers are 32 bit only and the manufacturer, as yet,
has no drivers for 64-bit OS's.

So, my choices seem to be:

(i) buy a cheap Dell desktop with no monitor and a 32-bit OS (£200),
install the card in that, hook it up to my existing Dell 2709 monitor
via a VGA cable and that will work or

(ii) buy a dedicated DVR, route everything through that and sell the
capture card

or (iii) install the 64 bit OS and then use Sun VM to install
everything related to the capture card under a 32-bit environment?

WRT (iii) that's as far as my knowledge of virtual machines
goes..........is (iii) (the preferential and easiest option) actually
do-able. Bear in mind there are dedicated drivers for the card, my
limited reading up of this seems to indicate the setup "sees" a
virtual graphics card.

All input gratefully received.
Old December 13th 09, 08:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

32-bit drivers might work.
Running in a VM likely will not work.
New machine would work.

All that said, if it works with Vista 32, why change? 64-bit doesn't
sound like an improvement in this scenario.

Tom

Old December 13th 09, 09:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:50:42 -0800 (PST), Gary Baldi
wrote:

[...]

I agree with Tom's post but alternatively, dual boot???
Old December 14th 09, 12:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Gary Baldi

wrote:
[...]

I agree with Tom's post but alternatively, dual boot???- Hide quoted text -

Thanks both; the dual-boot option is a non-runner if only because the
CCTV needs to be running 24/7.

Moving upto Win 7 64 bit just seemed to be the ideal opportunity to
get away from Vista........I have tried your suggestion Tom (32 bit
drivers) but regrettably that fell over spectacularly, the CCTV
software fires up but then protests loudly.
Old December 14th 09, 03:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

(i) buy a cheap Dell desktop with no monitor and a 32-bit OS
(£200), install the card in that, hook it up to my existing
Dell 2709 monitor via a VGA cable and that will work

If you must go to a 64-bit OS on the other system, I think this is
your best bet. I wouldn't bet that the maker of the DVR card will ever
release a 64-bit driver.

A used computer would also be likely to work fine, as would something
constructed from any sufficiently capable spare computer parts.

(ii) buy a dedicated DVR

The ones I've seen sold for surveillance use are pretty miserable.

use Sun VM to install everything related to the capture card
under a 32-bit environment?

That won't work because the VM won't see the card at all. In fact,
only a few types of hardware can be "connected" to a virtual machine
and nearly all of them are USB devices.

All input gratefully received.

William
Old December 14th 09, 03:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

32-bit drivers might work.

You can't load a 32-bit driver on a 64-bit OS.

However, it is usually possible to load a 64-bit driver on a 64-bit OS
and use 32-bit programs to take advantage of the hardware. I was able
to do this with an ATI Theater 650 TV tuner card and WinXP x64
edition.

William
Old December 14th 09, 03:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 07:04:40 -0800 (PST), "William R. Walsh"
wrote:

Hi!

32-bit drivers might work.

You can't load a 32-bit driver on a 64-bit OS.

Not 100% accurate... see below.

However, it is usually possible to load a 64-bit driver on a 64-bit OS
and use 32-bit programs to take advantage of the hardware. I was able
to do this with an ATI Theater 650 TV tuner card and WinXP x64
edition.

William

William, per MS website, "some" 32 bit hardware drivers will load on a
64 bit OS.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

In other words, most do not but you can't say none.
Old December 14th 09, 04:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

wrote:

Hi!

32-bit drivers might work.

You can't load a 32-bit driver on a 64-bit OS.

Not 100% accurate... see below.

However, it is usually possible to load a 64-bit driver on a 64-bit OS
and use 32-bit programs to take advantage of the hardware. I was able
to do this with an ATI Theater 650 TV tuner card and WinXP x64
edition.

William

William, per MS website, "some" 32 bit hardware drivers will load on a
64 bit OS.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

In other words, most do not but you can't say none.

In still other words, if you are a betting man, do not bet on it... Ben
Myers
Old December 14th 09, 06:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

wrote:

Hi!

32-bit drivers might work.
You can't load a 32-bit driver on a 64-bit OS.

Not 100% accurate... see below.

However, it is usually possible to load a 64-bit driver on a 64-bit OS
and use 32-bit programs to take advantage of the hardware. I was able
to do this with an ATI Theater 650 TV tuner card and WinXP x64
edition.

William

William, per MS website, "some" 32 bit hardware drivers will load on a
64 bit OS.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

In other words, most do not but you can't say none.

In still other words, if you are a betting man, do not bet on it... Ben
Myers

LOL .... I'll go along with that :-)

Be+wiser knee70 General 0 November 22nd 05 02:02 AM
OC Advice Needed Peter Harrington Overclocking AMD Processors 4 June 7th 04 08:58 PM
New LCD advice needed. Sparrow Ati Videocards 0 November 10th 03 12:55 AM
advice needed Pamela and Howard Signa Gateway Computers 6 October 20th 03 04:55 AM
Advice needed for HSF Scott I. Remick Overclocking 4 July 9th 03 04:39 AM