13" Laptop w/ Optical Drive?

Old December 11th 09, 11:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default 13" Laptop w/ Optical Drive?

My daughter's been using her i6000 15" laptop for 4 years now, and it's on
it's last legs. We went to BestBuy to look at the different form factors,
and I showed her the Dell Studio 15" that I mentioned in an earlier post,
but she wants someting smaller and more portable to go from room to room.
She really liked the 13" format, but we only saw one (Sony VGN-SR520 G/B)
that had an optical drive, which is a must for CD/DVD.

Can anyone recommend other 13" laptops with optical drives?

Thanks
Old December 11th 09, 11:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

Boris wrote on Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:28:49 +0000 (UTC):
My daughter's been using her i6000 15" laptop for 4 years now, and it's on
it's last legs. We went to BestBuy to look at the different form factors,
and I showed her the Dell Studio 15" that I mentioned in an earlier post,
but she wants someting smaller and more portable to go from room to room.
She really liked the 13" format, but we only saw one (Sony VGN-SR520 G/B)
that had an optical drive, which is a must for CD/DVD.

Can anyone recommend other 13" laptops with optical drives?

Thanks

Does it have to be 13 inch? As 12 and 14 inch are likely more easier to
find. And you also know these smaller screen sizes (with the exception
of netbooks) the price goes up greatly, right?

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2
Old December 11th 09, 11:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

BillW50 wrote in
:

Boris wrote on Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:28:49 +0000 (UTC):
My daughter's been using her i6000 15" laptop for 4 years now, and
it's on it's last legs. We went to BestBuy to look at the different
form factors, and I showed her the Dell Studio 15" that I mentioned
in an earlier post, but she wants someting smaller and more portable
to go from room to room. She really liked the 13" format, but we
only saw one (Sony VGN-SR520 G/B) that had an optical drive, which is
a must for CD/DVD.

Can anyone recommend other 13" laptops with optical drives?

Thanks

Does it have to be 13 inch? As 12 and 14 inch are likely more easier
to find. And you also know these smaller screen sizes (with the
exception of netbooks) the price goes up greatly, right?

Hi, Bill,

An optical drive is a must. A 12" would be alright if it had an optical
drive, but I'm not aware of any with an optical drive.

Smaller = $$$, yes.
Old December 12th 09, 02:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Studio XPS 13.

Typing this message on mine. Slot load DVD burner.

Old December 12th 09, 12:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
jel183\(UK\)

Then you might want one of these as well:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...S084CTSBS.html

--
jel183(UK)
Windows 7 (64bit) Professional

"Boris" wrote in message
.213...
BillW50 wrote in
:

Old December 14th 09, 06:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Boris wrote in
.213:

My daughter's been using her i6000 15" laptop for 4 years now, and
it's on it's last legs. We went to BestBuy to look at the different
form factors, and I showed her the Dell Studio 15" that I mentioned in
an earlier post, but she wants someting smaller and more portable to
go from room to room. She really liked the 13" format, but we only
saw one (Sony VGN-SR520 G/B) that had an optical drive, which is a
must for CD/DVD.

Can anyone recommend other 13" laptops with optical drives?

Thanks

Thanks to all that responded. My daughter finally settled on a Toshiba
Satellite U505-S2970.

http://tinyurl.com/yavvlnd

We picked it up today and configured most of it except for Windows Live
Mail. She still needs to decide if she wants to use WMP11 or another
media player.

As a former XP user, she's got to get used to Win7, and she's going to
bang on it for a week or so, to see how it (hardware-especially CD/DVD
functions) performs. I'm not familiar with Toshiba, so I can't help as
much as I used to.

Thanks again.