Adding a USB UB and how do they work

Old December 28th 06, 03:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DJW

Default Adding a USB UB and how do they work

I am running windows 98SE with a desktop computer that only have 2 USB
outlets in the front. I recently plugged in a USB 4 port hub. When I
unplugged my web cam from the computer and plugged it in to the Hub it
said on the screen that new hardware was found and wanted to reinstall
drivers. So I canceled the action and put it back in the free outlet on
the computer.
My question is does the hub's first in line port mirror the port it
is plugged in to? And do the remaining 3 ports are now like brand new
ports on the computer and any old equipment that was installed and
configured using the 2 old ports on the computer now need to be
reinstalled if they are used? I thought a Hub would be a plug and play,
meaning any installed hardware using any HUB or old port could be hot
swappable with any other already installed hardware peripheral without
any new reconfiguring.
Also can the computer's USB controller, control all 5 ports plus the
one the HUB is plugged into at once with hardware?

Old December 28th 06, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

"DJW" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am running windows 98SE with a desktop computer that only have 2 USB
outlets in the front. I recently plugged in a USB 4 port hub. When I
unplugged my web cam from the computer and plugged it in to the Hub it
said on the screen that new hardware was found and wanted to reinstall
drivers. So I canceled the action

why? the camera needs drivers and the drivers need to load the 'NEW' position

and put it back in the free outlet on
the computer.
My question is does the hub's first in line port mirror the port it
is plugged in to?

no

And do the remaining 3 ports are now like brand new
ports on the computer and any old equipment that was installed and
configured using the 2 old ports on the computer now need to be
reinstalled if they are used?

yes. its like trading PCI slots the drivers reload because the position(resource address) has
changed
I thought a Hub would be a plug and play,

plug n play usually involves loading of drivers

meaning any installed hardware using any HUB or old port could be hot
swappable with any other already installed hardware peripheral without
any new reconfiguring.

sometimes, but not until after the drivers are loaded for the first time in the new position.

Also can the computer's USB controller, control all 5 ports plus the
one the HUB is plugged into at once with hardware?

yes

Old December 29th 06, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Hardware doesn't like being plugged into different ports... including
hubs... esp. on win 98... 'fraid you might have to reinstall the
drivers...

shouldn't take too long though

my password is qwerty12345