Different approach on my UMAX ASTRA 6450 problem

Old July 9th 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

Default Different approach on my UMAX ASTRA 6450 problem

Jethro wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 11:49:46 -0700, Robert Heiling
wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 06:56:07 -0700, Robert Heiling
wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 19:49:02 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

snip

I find that Google recognizes it as a ASTRA 6450 firewire-related URL
at
http://www.scanner-drivers.com/drivers/59/59340.htm
which takes me to Driverguide for the same driver (astra6400_6450.exe)
that I downloaded and installed unsuccessfully before and which looks
to be the same folders/files that are in the current RAR package.

That one looks Ok and, if the new one is identical, you should be set to go.
Those folders Disk1, Disk2, ... should all be together in some other folder. The
name doesn't matter. Double-click on that file vssetup.exe in the Disk1 folder
and let it install that support for the scanner.

They are, and as I said, Vistascan seemingly installed okay, as
before.

It would have hopefully included driver support also.

Then remove that device in Device Manager just like you did above. Then re-boot.
XP will again see a new device and should install it without intervention on
your part because you have already installed support.

However, now I cannot uninstall the Device Manager entry for the
scanner. It says it 'may be required to start up the computer'.

Did it still have a yellow exclamation point? I guess we should have uninstalled
it first before installing vssetup.exe

I find no evidence of scanner app in Task Manager.

There won't be unless you start one except for the one in systray if there is
one.

I can only disable
it, and I did. Re-boot changed nothing - it booted automatically and
the Device Manager entry is still sitting there, disabled.

Of course. I don't understand the reason for disabling it though since the
motive is to get it working. Does it still have a yellow exclamation point? Has
any icon been added to systray? Is there an option to update the driver in
Device Manager? If there is and it was still yellow, then update the driver
after re-enabling!! You will need to know where those .inf files wentas you may
be requested for them. Might want to search for them in advance and they should
be in windows/inf or a subfolder.

That's what I tried to say - namely that I could NOT uninstall the
driver from Device Manager (it said it was needed for boot up),

I understood you up to that point.

so to
get it out of the picture, I disabled it,

And you lost me there.

and it remained that way.
until I re-enabled it, when I get the yellow flag again.

Ok. So you do get the yellow. Have you re-booted with it enabled by chance just
to see what happens?

When I try
to update the driver in Device manager, I point to the folder DISK2
(I know where the folders and their .inf files are),

Then you should have pointed there if you know and not to DISK2. You're finished
with those! It's wherever vssetup.exe installed them on your system. Considering
what Paul mentioned as the contents of UMAXUSD2.INF, it should be wherever that
file is located, in a subfolder of Windows. XP may find it on its own or Windows
might prompt you by filename.

but I keep
getting a failure with error message from Device Manager that there is
a problem with the install.

Try again

You know, I really think that this danged scanner is simply bad - i.e.
that the scanner simply is broke. If so, I (we) am beating a dead
horse. The scan-light does come on and goes to home position when I
power it on though.

It hasn't had a real chance as yet.

Bob
Old July 9th 06, 09:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

[...]

Yes - it remains flagged.

When I try
to update the driver in Device manager, I point to the folder DISK2
(I know where the folders and their .inf files are),

Then you should have pointed there if you know and not to DISK2. You're finished
with those! It's wherever vssetup.exe installed them on your system. Considering
what Paul mentioned as the contents of UMAXUSD2.INF, it should be wherever that
file is located, in a subfolder of Windows. XP may find it on its own or Windows
might prompt you by filename.

Hmmm

vssetup.exe (from the setup DISK1 folder) executed without error and
created c:\VSTASCAN with:

copier32.exe
dragdrop.exe
OpManual.pdf
readme.txt
test32.exe
uninstal.exe
uninstal.ini
Vista32.exe
vsaccess.exe

plus a folder = mailpack

I see NO file by the name of UMAXUSD2.INF therein. That is why I
pointed the re installer to DISK2 and then to DISK3, two folders that
do contain UMAXUSD2.INF, Both times I got the error that driver
re-installation failed.

but I keep
getting a failure with error message from Device Manager that there is
a problem with the install.

Try again

You know, I really think that this danged scanner is simply bad - i.e.
that the scanner simply is broke. If so, I (we) am beating a dead
horse. The scan-light does come on and goes to home position when I
power it on though.

It hasn't had a real chance as yet.

I hope you're right

I do feel bad that I can't seem to describe accurately what I am doing
and how I am doing it, but bear with me please.

Jethro
Old July 9th 06, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

[...]

Good grief man! That's not the *Windows* folder is it? VSSETUP.EXE installed
files all over the place! Now please go into My Computer and navigate to your C:
drive and the Windows folder. Then do a Search for files named UMAXUSD2.INF.
Just make note of which folder it is in. Then try to Update the driver.

That is why I
pointed the re installer to DISK2 and then to DISK3, two folders that
do contain UMAXUSD2.INF, Both times I got the error that driver
re-installation failed.

Of course you got an error and it will never work that way.

but I keep
getting a failure with error message from Device Manager that there is
a problem with the install.

Try again

You know, I really think that this danged scanner is simply bad - i.e.
that the scanner simply is broke. If so, I (we) am beating a dead
horse. The scan-light does come on and goes to home position when I
power it on though.

It hasn't had a real chance as yet.

I hope you're right

I do feel bad that I can't seem to describe accurately what I am doing
and how I am doing it, but bear with me please.

Ok, but try harder to understand what is written to you.

Bob
Old July 9th 06, 11:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

[...]

Good Good Grief Grief man man!! :)

I DID a FULL C drive scan in Windows Explorer for UMAXUSD2.INF and it
did not show up under Windows or anywhere else other than where I
said. So, obviously, this must be my problem. Since my install,
using vssetup.exe, did not place that inf file there - then I have to
discover why it did NOT.

BTW

http://scanner.free-driver-download....-Firewire.html

says (in part):

UMAX Scanner Astra 6400/6450 VistaScan 3.76 Firewire Windows
9x/ME/2000/XP.

Install VistaScan 3.76 and reboot your PC. In case the scanner does
not appear in the Device Manager as "UMAX 1394", double cklick its
entry and update the driver referring to
Disk2 folder in the directory ================
where you expanded the VistaScan driver (or Umax Driver CD) as driver
source. Ignore the warning about the missing cetrificate for WindowsXP
and continue the installation. As VistaScan is Windows 2000
compatible, it also works properly unter WindowsXP.

Hence my doing what I did. :(

Old July 10th 06, 12:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

[...]

That had only been my guess as to the name and I was certain that they would
leave a .inf file hanging aroung. I finally pulled those files down and expanded
the Disks and see that it uses the same Twain driver setup that my scsi scanner
uses. No surprise there actually. There definitely are Umax dll's in the driver
though and XP needs to be told about that somehow.

BTW

http://scanner.free-driver-download....-Firewire.html

says (in part):

UMAX Scanner Astra 6400/6450 VistaScan 3.76 Firewire Windows
9x/ME/2000/XP.

Install VistaScan 3.76 and reboot your PC. In case the scanner does
not appear in the Device Manager as "UMAX 1394", double cklick its
entry and update the driver referring to
Disk2 folder in the directory ================
where you expanded the VistaScan driver (or Umax Driver CD) as driver
source. Ignore the warning about the missing cetrificate for WindowsXP
and continue the installation. As VistaScan is Windows 2000
compatible, it also works properly unter WindowsXP.

Hence my doing what I did. :(

Now you tell me.g But fair enough, if that's what they say to do.

If you turn the scanner off and re-boot, you may be able to remove the driver.
If that works, then turn it back on and re-boot. XP should find it and install.

Bob
Old July 10th 06, 01:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Paul

In article , Jethro
wrote:

Good Good Grief Grief man man!! :)

I DID a FULL C drive scan in Windows Explorer for UMAXUSD2.INF and it
did not show up under Windows or anywhere else other than where I
said. So, obviously, this must be my problem. Since my install,
using vssetup.exe, did not place that inf file there - then I have to
discover why it did NOT.

snip

I found a post containing a response from UMAX. I figured I'd
copy it to USENET, so it could be archived for future generations.

******

WELL, WEEKS later, I get a response from Umax.
Here is how the scanner is supposed to work with WinXP.

Quote:

Windows XP and FireWire Installation

If you do not have the VistaScan CD then you can download the software
from the website at http://www.umax.com/download/. Be sure and save
the files in My Documents.

RESTART IN SAFE MODE AND YOU HAVE TO BE LOGGED IN AS ADMINISTRATOR

Uninstalling VistaScan
1. Left click on Start.
2. Go up to All Programs.
3. Select VistaScan.
4. Left click on Uninstaller.
After uninstalling click on Exit

Removing Scanner From Device Manager

1. Right click on My Computer
2. Left click on Properties
3. Select Hardware
4. Left click on Device Manager.
5. Click on the plus next to Imaging Devices.
6. Right click on 1394 Scanner.
7. Left click on Uninstall.
8. Left click OK to confirm uninstall.
9. Close Device Manager.
10. Unplug the scanner from the back of the computer.

Removing Leftover Files
1. Left click on Start.
2. Select All Programs.
3. Select Accessories.
4. Left click on Windows Explorer.
5. Click on the plus sign next to My Computer.
6. Click on the plus sign next to Local disk (C .
7. Right click on VSTASCAN and then left click on Delete.
8. Click on the plus sign next to Windows.
9. Right click on TWAIN_32 and choose Delete.*
10. Right click on TWAIN32 and choose Delete.*
11. Close Windows Explorer.

*By deleting the TWAIN folders, you will need to reinstall any other
TWAIN devices, such as digital cameras, web cams, and other scanning
devices. You will need the installation CDs for any other TWAIN
compliant devices present on your PC.

Installing the VistaScan Twain Drivers

Disable any Anti Virus software

1. Insert ³VistaScan² CD in your CDROM . If you do not have
the VistaScan CD and have downloaded VistaScan 3.76 from
the website then read the following, otherwise skip to
step 2
a. Open the My Document folder.
b. Double-click on the VS376F.EXE icon. [presumably unzipping]
c. Open the folder Disk1 and find the file called VSSETUP.
d. Double click on VSSETUP to start the install.

2. On the first screen, click on Next.
3. Click Next on the following screen.
4. Click Yes on the License Agreement.
5. On the Installation Type, select Typical and click on Next.
6. On the Settings Confirm screen, click on Install.
7. If you see an Copy File Error message choose IGNORE, as this
is not a system file and can be skipped.
8. Once the installation of VistaScan 3.76 is finished, click Exit.

Testing the scanner
1. Left click on Start.
2. Go up to All Programs.
3. Select VistaScan.
4. Select VistaScan again.

If VistaScan comes up then your scanner is working, otherwise if the
Umax test program comes up please call Umax Technical Support at
214-739-1915

For tips on how to use VistaScan go to http://www.scantips.com/umaxvs.html
******

So, the question is, do you have an Imaging_Device in Device Manager ?
Is it labelled 1394_Scanner ?

Here is another chunk of info:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system.../1394tech.mspx

******
Scanners and Printers and IEEE*1394

Device support in Windows is based on the SBP-2 specification, which
defines a protocol for transporting commands, data, and status between
devices connected by the IEEE*1394 serial bus. For example, an IEEE*
1394 scanner that uses SBP-2 to transport SCSI commands does not
require additional drivers for Windows*XP, Windows*2000, Windows*Me,
or Windows*98 Second Edition. The scanner uses the same drivers and
INF entries as a SCSI scanner, with two exceptions: The Plug and Play
ID in the INF is different, and Scsimap.sys is not needed.

For an IEEE*1394/SBP-2 device, the PnPID is a combination of the
vendor name, device name, and command set ID. The easiest way to
determine the PnPID is to plug the device into an IEEE*1394-capable
system and then look in the registry under the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\1394

The Plug and Play ID appears as the subkey name for the scanner under
the Enum\1394 key. Use that value in the INF file instead of the SCSI
Plug and Play ID. As an example, an entry in the INF might appear
as follows:

%StringName% = InstallSection,SBP2\Vendor&Model&CmdSetId104d8

In this example, the Plug and Play ID from the registry should be
used to replace Vendor&Model&CmdSetId104d8 .

For an IEEE*1394 SBP-2 scanner, only Scsiscan.sys must be loaded.
Scsimap.sys is not needed, and it should be removed from the [AddReg]
and [CopyFiles] sections in the INF for Windows*98 Second Edition and
Windows*Me. This file has never been required for Windows*2000 or
Windows*XP.

The version of Scsiscan.sys provided with Windows*98 Second Edition
does not send down the open and close IRPs correctly, which causes a
problem with IEEE*1394-connected scanners. To work around the problem
in your development processes, use the version of Scsiscan.sys that
ships with Windows*2000 or Windows*XP.

If you need to provide the updated version of Scsiscan.sys to
customers, this can be done under the license provision of the Windows
DDK. If you choose to redistribute the Scsiscan.sys file, the file must
be copied only as part of a [CopyFiles] INF section so that proper
version checking occurs.
******

So, that description gives a couple more things to check.

Using regedit, does HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\1394 contain:

SBP2\UMAX&Astra_6450______&CmdSetId104d8

If it did, then that means SBP2 was able to query the plotter
and get the text string "Astra_6450" from it. If it returns
some other value, then that would be valuable info, in terms
of whatever hacking is needed for the Vistascan package.

If so, you'll notice that the INF file we've been discussing,
contains entries for 6400 and 6500. Hacking the INF, by adding
a similar line for 6450, might get you connected. And this
is hacking, so it will be a trial and error process. My hope
would be, that the Umax firewire scanners share enough
characteristics, that you'll get some response from it.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 10th 06, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:45:13 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

I found a post containing a response from UMAX. I figured I'd
copy it to USENET, so it could be archived for future generations.

******

WELL, WEEKS later, I get a response from Umax.
Here is how the scanner is supposed to work with WinXP.

Quote:

Windows XP and FireWire Installation

If you do not have the VistaScan CD then you can download the software
from the website at
http://www.umax.com/download/. Be sure and save
the files in My Documents.

As you know, the software is no longer downloadable from this site.
But of course, I have it from the other source.

RESTART IN SAFE MODE AND YOU HAVE TO BE LOGGED IN AS ADMINISTRATOR

Uninstalling VistaScan
1. Left click on Start.
2. Go up to All Programs.
3. Select VistaScan.
4. Left click on Uninstaller.
After uninstalling click on Exit

I did this.

Removing Scanner From Device Manager

1. Right click on My Computer
2. Left click on Properties
3. Select Hardware
4. Left click on Device Manager.

Doesn't show any of the following in Safe Mode:
5. Click on the plus next to Imaging Devices.
6. Right click on 1394 Scanner.

I rebooted in normal mode, and as before I cannot uninstall because
the system will not let me (says it is needed during boot-up)
7. Left click on Uninstall.
8. Left click OK to confirm uninstall.

9. Close Device Manager.
10. Unplug the scanner from the back of the computer.

I did this.

Removing Leftover Files
1. Left click on Start.
2. Select All Programs.
3. Select Accessories.
4. Left click on Windows Explorer.
5. Click on the plus sign next to My Computer.
6. Click on the plus sign next to Local disk (C .
7. Right click on VSTASCAN and then left click on Delete.

I did this.

8. Click on the plus sign next to Windows.
9. Right click on TWAIN_32 and choose Delete.*

I did this.

10. Right click on TWAIN32 and choose Delete.*

I did not see this folder.

11. Close Windows Explorer.

*By deleting the TWAIN folders, you will need to reinstall any other
TWAIN devices, such as digital cameras, web cams, and other scanning
devices. You will need the installation CDs for any other TWAIN
compliant devices present on your PC.

Yes. That sounds right.

[...]

It does not say to leave Safe Mode and re-boot normally, but I did -
then did the above.

Testing the scanner
1. Left click on Start.
2. Go up to All Programs.
3. Select VistaScan.
4. Select VistaScan again.

If VistaScan comes up then your scanner is working, otherwise if the
Umax test program comes up please call Umax Technical Support at
214-739-1915

Just like before, it does not come up. Scanner is not recognized.
Device Manager has the yellow-flagged entry for the scanner.

For tips on how to use VistaScan go to http://www.scantips.com/umaxvs.html
******

So, the question is, do you have an Imaging_Device in Device Manager ?
Is it labelled 1394_Scanner ?

Yes, but it is flagged yellow. The entry reads:
UMAX Astra 6400 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device

[...]

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\1394
I found UMAX&Astra_6400____________ (sic) but no &CmdSetId104d8
In fact, I find no CmdSetId104d8 in the Registry at all.

If it did, then that means SBP2 was able to query the plotter
and get the text string "Astra_6450" from it. If it returns
some other value, then that would be valuable info, in terms
of whatever hacking is needed for the Vistascan package.

If so, you'll notice that the INF file we've been discussing,
contains entries for 6400 and 6500. Hacking the INF, by adding
a similar line for 6450, might get you connected. And this
is hacking, so it will be a trial and error process. My hope
would be, that the Umax firewire scanners share enough
characteristics, that you'll get some response from it.

I add the line

%SBP2\ASTRA6400.DeviceDesc% =
UMAXSBP2.Scanner,SBP2\UMAX&Astra_6400______

to the subject .inf file and tried to re-install the scanner driver in
Device Manager. I still got

'There was a problem installing this hardware'

I even more suspect the scanner may be bad.

HTH,
Paul

Old July 10th 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Paul

In article , Jethro
wrote:

I add the line

%SBP2\ASTRA6400.DeviceDesc% =
UMAXSBP2.Scanner,SBP2\UMAX&Astra_6400______

to the subject .inf file and tried to re-install the scanner driver in
Device Manager. I still got

'There was a problem installing this hardware'

I even more suspect the scanner may be bad.

HTH,
Paul

You need to find a piece of software that can talk
to a 6400. Maybe this will involve Linux and some
kind of open source software. But there has to be
something, that can do more than just extract
Astra_6400______ .

The UMAX instructions mention a "UMAX test program".
Did anything like that pop up ? If you look around
the install folder, is there anything with a filename
suggestive of a test program ?

Paul
Old July 10th 06, 09:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

Default Has Anyone ever Been Able To Run UMAX ASTRA 6450 Scanner under WXP Successfully?

A shot in the dark -

Has anyone out there EVER gotten a UMAX ASTRA 6450
Firewire scanner to actually work under WXP?

Thanx

Jethro