Different approach on my UMAX ASTRA 6450 problem

Old July 8th 06, 04:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

Default Different approach on my UMAX ASTRA 6450 problem

I don't think I have asked this before.

But I wonder - has anyone out there EVER gotten a UMAX ASTRA 6450
Firewire scanner to work under WXP?

Thanx

Jethro
Old July 8th 06, 05:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Jethro wrote:
I don't think I have asked this before.

But I wonder - has anyone out there EVER gotten a UMAX ASTRA 6450
Firewire scanner to work under WXP?

I've only tried to get three UMAX scanners to work. From that
experience I cannot say that any UMAX scanner has ever worked on any
operating system. Crap, crap and more crap.

Hopefully, though, my tangent will not jinx your efforts. Good luck.

Old July 8th 06, 07:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Paul

In article , Jethro
wrote:

I don't think I have asked this before.

But I wonder - has anyone out there EVER gotten a UMAX ASTRA 6450
Firewire scanner to work under WXP?

Thanx

Jethro

I got another lead for you. Based on Robert Heiling's posting
about the umaxfirstaid.de web site, there is a copy of that
web site on archive.org. While the indexing of the site is
not in good shape, you can get a pair of files here. My guess
would be, the first .exe, is a self-extracting RAR, and the
r00 is the second segment. Make sure both files are in a
common folder, before double clicking the .exe .

http://web.archive.org/web/200211221...ftp/vs376f.exe
http://web.archive.org/web/200211221...ftp/vs376f.r00

There is a little trick to this. The first link should be OK.
You should be able to safely click on it, and be prompted
to save. (At least I hope so...)

But the second link seems to have a small MIME problem, at
least on my browser. (Currently, the browser that tried to download
the .r00, is running 100% CPU :-) )

Go to this page, then hold your mouse over the
" www.umaxfirstaid.de/ftp/vs376f.r00 " link. Right-mouse
and select "Save as" for that link, and hopefully the
file will calmly download like its buddy. I tried
that with a second browser, and the "Save as" worked
OK.

http://web.archive.org/web/*sr_11nr_...xfirstaid.de/*

I tried extracting the two files, and it seems to extract
OK. There are six "disk" folders, and one of them mentions
Astra 6400 and Astra 6500. 6400 and 6500 are Firewire scanners,
so they have that in common with your 6450. Now, I don't know
if that means the installer will throw up its hands, when if
finds 6450 or not.

Have fun,
Paul
Old July 8th 06, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:26:08 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

In article , Jethro
wrote:

[...]

Hey! Thanks.

I'll try it as soon as the Red Sox win and let ya know.

Jethro
Old July 9th 06, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

wrote:

[...]

Well, the Red Sox won, but I don't think Jethro did.

What a mess trying to download the compressed file(s).
'MIME problem' is putting it mildly.

I finally got

vs376f-1.exe = 5.860M
vs376f.r00 = 5.681M

I recognize these as compressed RARs. and I got

DISK1 = Folder = 1.01M = 32 files
DISK2 = Folder = 1.18M = 14 files
DISK3 = Folder = 1.56M = 16 files
DISK4 = Folder = 2.18M = 8 files
DISK5 = Folder = 1.31M = 13 files
DISK6 = Folder = 1.75M = 19 files, 1 folder
ENGLISH = Folder = 4.03M = 204 files, 2 folders
FRENCH I ignored
GERMAN I ignored
MAILPACK = folder = 2.33M 20 files
PROFILES = folder = 1.0M 12 files, 3 folders

(I hope I got the above correct)

I don't know if these are the right folders/files or not, BUT I
searched all of them and do NOT find any occurrence of Astra 6400 and
Astra 6500. 6400 and 6500 or any part thereof. So I think maybe I
missed something. What do you think?

Thanks Paul for your help

Jethro
Old July 9th 06, 12:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Paul

In article , Jethro
wrote:

[...]

In DISK3, the "UMAXUSD2.INF" file contains:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; SBP2 Scanner ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
SBP2\ASTRA6400.DeviceDesc = "UMAX 1394 Scanner"
SBP2\ASTRA6500.DeviceDesc = "UMAX 1394 Scanner"

SBP2 = serial bus protocol two

AFAIK, SBP2 does SCSI emulation using a Firewire hardware layer.
(Or something like that - it was something I read on a Linux page.)
It allows the VistaScan SCSI software that works with the other
scanners, to work with the listed 6400 and 6500 firewire devices.
What I cannot tell you, is if the enumeration of your plotter,
appears as a variation of 6400 to this installer software, or
whether this software simply won't install/work. Only time
will tell. (I have no idea how enumeration works on Firewire.
The .INF files usually have enumeration information, and that
is why the first place I look is the INFs, in the hope of
determining whether the installer will work or not. But in
this case, I cannot see what the installer uses to detect a
match.)

In terms of the software, I'm real suspicious of the "MAILPACK"
folder. I checked the readme file in there, and it is some kind of
utility for chopping a scan into bite-sized pieces for
transmission via email. Sounds pretty silly to me.

In the DISK1 folder, I see VSSETUP.EXE, and I assume that is
what you double click to start the install. Just a guess.
This doesn't look like an installer I want to run on my
machine :-)

Note that the DISK1\setup.ini controls the setup. AdapterType=1394
says the installer is set up for Firewire. While the setup.ini
looks like it is designed to install Acrobat Reader, I don't
see the setup files for that, so I guess that won't happen.

Paul
Old July 9th 06, 02:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

Jethro wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 19:49:02 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

In article , Jethro
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Paul.

First of all, I apologize for not examining the file contents in the
various files - I thought you suggested checking the fine 'names'
themselves. My stupidity. I should have know better - but my glee
over the Red Sox win suppressed my thinking cap.

Yes the VSSETUP.EXE program installs Vistascan. In fact, it does just
that okay ( no errors indicated anyway).

I started over by removing the yellow-flagged entry under Imaging
Devices in Device Manager and by removing all occurrences of Vistascan
previously installed on my HDD. Interestingly, when I rebooted with
the scanner powered on, WXP's PnP found the scanner as new hardware,

That's as it should be and if the support is there in XP it would install it.

and even though I cancelled out of any installation of that,

Why?

the
flagged entry in Device Manager came back. That surprised me.

That would be normal. XP is now aware of the device, but it is not installed
correctly.

So be
it, I then repeated the re- boot, this time trying to point to the
drivers in our just-downloaded DISK folders. No change.

Needs to be done a different way.

I find no reference to '6450' or Firewire in DISK1 .inf files
I find this in DISK2's UMAXUSD2.INF file:
;; SBP2
%SBP2\ASTRA6400.DeviceDesc% =
UMAXSBP2.Scanner,SBP2\UMAX&Astra_6400______&CmdSet Id104d8
%SBP2\ASTRA6500.DeviceDesc% =
UMAXSBP2.Scanner,SBP2\UMAX&Astra_6500______&CmdSet Id104d8

I wonder what 'SBP2' is?

Paul expalined that above - Serial Bus Protocol 2 for Firewire.

I find that Google recognizes it as a ASTRA 6450 firewire-related URL
at
http://www.scanner-drivers.com/drivers/59/59340.htm
which takes me to Driverguide for the same driver (astra6400_6450.exe)
that I downloaded and installed unsuccessfully before and which looks
to be the same folders/files that are in the current RAR package.

That one looks Ok and, if the new one is identical, you should be set to go.
Those folders Disk1, Disk2, ... should all be together in some other folder. The
name doesn't matter. Double-click on that file vssetup.exe in the Disk1 folder
and let it install that support for the scanner.

Then remove that device in Device Manager just like you did above. Then re-boot.
XP will again see a new device and should install it without intervention on
your part because you have already installed support.

I find this in DISK3's UMAXUSD2.INF file:
;; SBP2
%SBP2\ASTRA6400.DeviceDesc% =
UMAXSBP2.Scanner,SBP2\UMAX&Astra_6400______&CmdSet Id104d8
%SBP2\ASTRA6500.DeviceDesc% =
UMAXSBP2.Scanner,SBP2\UMAX&Astra_6500______&CmdSet Id104d8

It does look like MAILPACK is concerned with e-mailing, so I see no
reason to sweat that.

I see 4 interesting filenames in PROFILES\SCANNER (e.g. AS6400R.ICM).

I tried re-installing the scanner, pointing to DISK3 vice DISK1 (I
think I had done all this before). Same results.

I still am waiting to hear from ANYONE who actually has been able to
get the 6450 to work under WXP. No responses on that one. Until I
do, I will continue to wonder if it ever did.

Don't worry about the extras. Scanners often come packaged with additional
utilities and software.

Bob
Old July 9th 06, 06:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

wrote:

[...]

I just wanted to try installing Vistascan first, without any error
entry in Device Manager. Didn't happen.

the flagged entry in Device Manager came back. That surprised me.

That would be normal. XP is now aware of the device, but it is not installed
correctly.

So be it, I then repeated the re- boot, this time trying to point to the
drivers in our just-downloaded DISK folders. No change.

Needs to be done a different way.

Really?

I find no reference to '6450' or Firewire in DISK1 .inf files
I find this in DISK2's UMAXUSD2.INF file:
;; SBP2
%SBP2\ASTRA6400.DeviceDesc% =
UMAXSBP2.Scanner,SBP2\UMAX&Astra_6400______&CmdSet Id104d8
%SBP2\ASTRA6500.DeviceDesc% =
UMAXSBP2.Scanner,SBP2\UMAX&Astra_6500______&CmdSet Id104d8

I wonder what 'SBP2' is?

Paul expalined that above - Serial Bus Protocol 2 for Firewire.

Dang - I missed that.

I find that Google recognizes it as a ASTRA 6450 firewire-related URL
at
http://www.scanner-drivers.com/drivers/59/59340.htm
which takes me to Driverguide for the same driver (astra6400_6450.exe)
that I downloaded and installed unsuccessfully before and which looks
to be the same folders/files that are in the current RAR package.

That one looks Ok and, if the new one is identical, you should be set to go.
Those folders Disk1, Disk2, ... should all be together in some other folder. The
name doesn't matter. Double-click on that file vssetup.exe in the Disk1 folder
and let it install that support for the scanner.

They are, and as I said, Vistascan seemingly installed okay, as
before.

Then remove that device in Device Manager just like you did above. Then re-boot.
XP will again see a new device and should install it without intervention on
your part because you have already installed support.

However, now I cannot uninstall the Device Manager entry for the
scanner. It says it 'may be required to start up the computer'. I
find no evidence of scanner app in Task Manager. I can only disable
it, and I did. Re-boot changed nothing - it booted automatically and
the Device Manager entry is still sitting there, disabled.

I find this in DISK3's UMAXUSD2.INF file:
;; SBP2
%SBP2\ASTRA6400.DeviceDesc% =
UMAXSBP2.Scanner,SBP2\UMAX&Astra_6400______&CmdSet Id104d8
%SBP2\ASTRA6500.DeviceDesc% =
UMAXSBP2.Scanner,SBP2\UMAX&Astra_6500______&CmdSet Id104d8

It does look like MAILPACK is concerned with e-mailing, so I see no
reason to sweat that.

I see 4 interesting filenames in PROFILES\SCANNER (e.g. AS6400R.ICM).

I tried re-installing the scanner, pointing to DISK3 vice DISK1 (I
think I had done all this before). Same results.

I still am waiting to hear from ANYONE who actually has been able to
get the 6450 to work under WXP. No responses on that one. Until I
do, I will continue to wonder if it ever did.

Don't worry about the extras. Scanners often come packaged with additional
utilities and software.

Yes - I figured that.

Bob

Old July 9th 06, 07:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 19:49:02 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

snip

I find that Google recognizes it as a ASTRA 6450 firewire-related URL
at
http://www.scanner-drivers.com/drivers/59/59340.htm
which takes me to Driverguide for the same driver (astra6400_6450.exe)
that I downloaded and installed unsuccessfully before and which looks
to be the same folders/files that are in the current RAR package.

That one looks Ok and, if the new one is identical, you should be set to go.
Those folders Disk1, Disk2, ... should all be together in some other folder. The
name doesn't matter. Double-click on that file vssetup.exe in the Disk1 folder
and let it install that support for the scanner.

They are, and as I said, Vistascan seemingly installed okay, as
before.

It would have hopefully included driver support also.

Then remove that device in Device Manager just like you did above. Then re-boot.
XP will again see a new device and should install it without intervention on
your part because you have already installed support.

However, now I cannot uninstall the Device Manager entry for the
scanner. It says it 'may be required to start up the computer'.

Did it still have a yellow exclamation point? I guess we should have uninstalled
it first before installing vssetup.exe

find no evidence of scanner app in Task Manager.

There won't be unless you start one except for the one in systray if there is
one.

I can only disable
it, and I did. Re-boot changed nothing - it booted automatically and
the Device Manager entry is still sitting there, disabled.

Of course. I don't understand the reason for disabling it though since the
motive is to get it working. Does it still have a yellow exclamation point? Has
any icon been added to systray? Is there an option to update the driver in
Device Manager? If there is and it was still yellow, then update the driver
after re-enabling!! You will need to know where those .inf files wentas you may
be requested for them. Might want to search for them in advance and they should
be in windows/inf or a subfolder.

Bob

Bob
Old July 9th 06, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

[...]

That's what I tried to say - namely that I could NOT uninstall the
driver from Device Manager (it said it was needed for boot up), so to
get it out of the picture, I disabled it, and it remained that way.
until I re-enabled it, when I get the yellow flag again. When I try
to update the driver in Device manager, I point to the folder DISK2
(I know where the folders and their .inf files are), but I keep
getting a failure with error message from Device Manager that there is
a problem with the install.

You know, I really think that this danged scanner is simply bad - i.e.
that the scanner simply is broke. If so, I (we) am beating a dead
horse. The scan-light does come on and goes to home position when I
power it on though.

Bob

Bob