Olivion "black screen" problem.

Old May 29th 06, 05:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default Olivion "black screen" problem.

Kind of famous bug where screen goes black, except for the HUD. Anyone know
of a fix?

--
_________________________________
James A. Cooley

Old June 1st 06, 06:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

On Mon, 29 May 2006 04:53:19 GMT, "James A. Cooley"
wrote:

Kind of famous bug where screen goes black, except for the HUD. Anyone know
of a fix?

--
_________________________________
James A. Cooley
I live for framerates!

"Famous" ????

Have never ever seen it. Other crashes -- yes, like the oft-mentioned
"Report to M$$" on game exit (or occasionally with new area loads).

You did not mention anything about your system hardware or software.
Kinda hard for anybody to help you.

John Lewis

Old June 3rd 06, 01:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote:

Kind of famous bug where screen goes black, except for the HUD. Anyone
know
of a fix?

--
_________________________________
James A. Cooley
I live for framerates!

"Famous" ????

Have never ever seen it. Other crashes -- yes, like the oft-mentioned
"Report to M$$" on game exit (or occasionally with new area loads).

You did not mention anything about your system hardware or software.
Kinda hard for anybody to help you.

John Lewis

Problem has been mentioned multiple times on the www.elderscrolls.com
forums.

7800 GTX, AMD 3700, two gig of RAM.

Old June 3rd 06, 06:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote:

Kind of famous bug where screen goes black, except for the HUD. Anyone
know
of a fix?

--
_________________________________
James A. Cooley
I live for framerates!

"Famous" ????

Have never ever seen it. Other crashes -- yes, like the oft-mentioned
"Report to M$$" on game exit (or occasionally with new area loads).

You did not mention anything about your system hardware or software.
Kinda hard for anybody to help you.

John Lewis

Problem has been mentioned multiple times on the www.elderscrolls.com
forums.

Really?? URL(s) please.. I have not been looking at the forums for the
past 2-3 weeks or so, actually not near any computer at all ( what a
breath of fresh-air that is.. to get re-acquainted with the outdoor
wonders of our planet... !! ) Undesirable attribute of the new
beta-patch (which was released a couple of days before my
self-imposed exile ) ??

7800 GTX, AMD 3700, two gig of RAM.

7800GTX, AMD X2 4400, 2GBytes of RAM, A8N32-SLI, on-board sound,
all latest drivers (84.21 or 84.25-beta video driver) Original
Oblivion install, no beta patch. With or without user-mods. No black
screens.

John Lewis
Old June 3rd 06, 07:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote:

[...]

Some samples of others with the problem, all pulled up just by using Google
with the terms black screen oblivion:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/borde...d=m-1-27690650

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...hp?t12983.html (look for the
post by Frosty).

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=14851

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1045301

It is also a frequent topic at the elderscrolls.com forum.

Old June 3rd 06, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Sooo, turn off the damn AGP fast writes, downclock the card to official
nVidia speeds, or disable HDR.

Old June 3rd 06, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"First of One" wrote in message
Sooo, turn off the damn AGP fast writes, downclock the card to official
nVidia speeds, or disable HDR.

Card is PCI-E and there is no AGP fastwrite option in the BIOS set-up for
the motherboard to enable. I also have not overclocked the card. HDR works
fine in Half-Life 2, the Lost Coast.

Blew the case out and checked all fans as well.

Looks like I will just have to wait for a patch from either nVidia, Bethesda
Software, or maybe both.

Old June 10th 06, 01:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"James A. Cooley" wrote in message
Card is PCI-E and there is no AGP fastwrite option in the BIOS set-up for
the motherboard to enable. I also have not overclocked the card. HDR works
fine in Half-Life 2, the Lost Coast.

HDR in Half-Life 2 works on a slightly different principle (no floating
point blend at the last stage or some tech babble to that effect), which is
why you can enable HDR with AA in that game, but not others like Far Cry,
Oblivion and Lego Star Wars.

Looks like I will just have to wait for a patch from either nVidia,
Bethesda Software, or maybe both.

Certainly looks like it.

On the other hand, you said you have not manually overclocked the card. Is
the card a BFG, eVGA or XFX product that comes clocked higher than nVidia's
official speeds out of the factory? If it is, downclock it to nVidia's
official speeds. See this article:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2OSwsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

Old June 10th 06, 04:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

[...]

It is an Asus 7800 GTX Extreme. Wil lcheck to see if it shipped overclocked,
but hate to downclock it for one finicky game when eveythign else works
fine. Hopefully he next set of drives from Nvidia will address the Oblivion
back screen issues.

Old June 11th 06, 10:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

[...]

More info. Can get the screen back by doing an alt-tab and then going back
to the game. Also, sometimes now it randomly minimizes and I have to click
the icon in the taskbar to get it back o full screen. This is one goofy
game.

If the game were not so great ehn it runs right, I would have uninstalled
it. But, when it works, it is the best that there is out there.