6200 128meg card

Old June 13th 06, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default 6200 128meg card

Hello all,

A short but huge question - what can I do with this card? It does its job on
games fine to my needs (which aren't great) and It has a VGA output of
course, and my old monitor is plugged into it and working fine.

But then there are the two other outputs, DVI and S-video. I know little
about these to be frank, but I believe that at least one of them can output
to TV, is that correct?

Can I use two outputs on this card at the same time, ie, use my monitor and
the TV at the same time?

The documentation provided is useless to me. It deals with installation
only, and the guy at the shop did that. I've read up on the formats and am
relatively well informed on the theory, but what the heck can my card
actually DO?! Is it a secret? ;-)

Advice appreciated.

Old June 13th 06, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

'Red' wrote, in part:
| A short but huge question - what can I do with this card? It does its job
on
| games fine to my needs (which aren't great) and It has a VGA output of
| course, and my old monitor is plugged into it and working fine.
_____

If your card has a brand name, check for that model at the manufacturer's
website.

S-Video is an output that can be connected to any device with S-Video IN.
With a simple adaptor that likely came with the card the S-Video can be used
with any device that has Video IN.
DVI is for digital image transfer to display devices that give better
results with digital input than analog input - which is what you get with
the VGA connector.

Please put all information in the body of posts; don't put any JUST in the
'Subject:' line.

Phil Weldon

Old June 13th 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Please put all information in the body of posts; don't put any JUST in the

Message received and understood.

If your card has a brand name, check for that model at the manufacturer's
website.

Have done so, as mentioned. It has a lovely PDF version of the same useless
(to me) installation manual that was in the box. The rest is a mere features
list which reads like an advertisement and not in the slightest like a user
guide, mainly because it is mostly an advertisement.

It hints at dual output being possible in amongst the blurb....

"Blazing-fast RAMDACs support dual QXGA displays with ultra-high, ergonomic
refresh rates--up to 2048x1536 @ 85Hz."

....without saying how that can/could be safely achieved.

I'm a cautious computer user, and don't just shove things into sockets
becasue they fit.

I have an S-Video extension lead that I could use, though no adaptor, which
I have not purchased with not the slightest idea if it will work. Thus my
enquiry here.

The computer world loves to keep its secrets very safe :-)

Old June 13th 06, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

'Red' wrote, in part:
| The computer world loves to keep its secrets very safe :-)
_____

You seem to keep to love to keep your secrets also.
If you'd just post the make and model, then perhaps someone could help you.

Phil Weldon

Old June 13th 06, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
nk.net...
'Red' wrote, in part:
| The computer world loves to keep its secrets very safe :-)
_____

You seem to keep to love to keep your secrets also.
If you'd just post the make and model, then perhaps someone could help
you.

Hmmm, you have a point. I always presumed that nvidia was the brand itself,
but I (think I) realise that's not the case now. It is an XFX geforce 6200.
XFX, for all their advertising blurb and lack of substance, are fairly
modest - their logo is probably only the third most prominent on the box. I
had presumed that they were the makers of the chipset (or whatever it is)
and nvidia the brand rather than the other way around. Geforce - I don't
know what I thought that was. :-) FGBG - I still don't know what they do and
don't much care. ;-)

My main initial enquiry remains an open one: can I use two displays with the
card? I would like to use my curreny bog-satndard monitor in unison with my
TV is at all possible.

Thanks to Phil for helping force my eyes open to the basics and to anyone
who can take this further.

Old June 13th 06, 12:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

OK, Nvidia is the chipset maker that provided the Graphics Processor to
the vendor that made your card. They have a site with additional
documentation.

Yes, you can attach a TV to your card. I'm not sure what your goal is.
If it is to use it as a second monitor, you are likely to be
disappointed by the resolution it provides. If the goal is to watch a
DVD, you're likely to be happy. Your card should have come with a
connector for the TV video output. And, if the TV is a fairly current
model, it should accept the signal and you should be able to select that
signal using your remote.

You may find that you need a longer cable or have lost the original.
These can be purchased online from a source like newegg.com which have
technicians you can query to see if you are ordering the right cable.

Go to the nvidia.com site and look in their support area for your
chipset. I think you'll find the info you are looking for.