The Old 4550 Is Still Hummin'!

Old March 9th 10, 09:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Default The Old 4550 Is Still Hummin'!

i assume that your comment is in reference to windows xp. with windows
7, going from 1gb to 2gb provides a significant performance improvement
and makes windows 7 desirable on this older machine. with just 1gb i
would stay with windows xp.

Cynthia G wrote:
I have 2GB in mine. It was after someone in thsi groups said it work that I
tried it. The improvement going from 1 - 2GB was not as big as going from
512MB - 1GB, but it's still an improvement.

Cynthia
------------------
"Boris" wrote in message
powrwrap wrote in news:8910b9a7-64fd-47f6-a60e-
:

On Mar 9, 5:38 am, Bob Villa wrote:
Just got a good deal on used DDR and upped her to 2X512. I does make
a big difference...but I wasn't about to pay what the want for new
DDR!

bob_v
My eight year old 4550 has 768 MB of memory. Back then I think I paid
$45 for a 512 MB stick. Last time I looked a 512 MB stick was about
$18. I thought that was pretty cheap. Isn't it?

I added 512MB to my 2003 4550 two years after I got it, which maxed it out
at 1GB. Wish I could add more. The machine has been running 24 x 7 since
first plugged in.

Old March 9th 10, 09:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On Mar 9, 5:38 am, Bob wrote:
Just got a good deal on used DDR and upped her to 2X512. I does make
a big difference...but I wasn't about to pay what the want for new
DDR!

bob_v

My eight year old 4550 has 768 MB of memory. Back then I think I paid
$45 for a 512 MB stick. Last time I looked a 512 MB stick was about
$18. I thought that was pretty cheap. Isn't it?

I added 512MB to my 2003 4550 two years after I got it, which maxed it out
at 1GB. Wish I could add more. The machine has been running 24 x 7 since
first plugged in.

According to the Dell forum (and, I believe, Ben) the M/B CAN handle
2X1G.

2x1GB is the max for the 4550. The written specs for it were apparently
produced before 1GB DDR went into volume production. I no longer have
any 4550 motherboards to test, but I still have a few Optiplex GX260
boards. The Dimension 4550 and the Optiplex GX260 boards share the same
Intel 845G chipset, capable of handling 2GB of memory, and you can
replace one with the other in a pinch, with no Windows BSOD or other ill
effects.

The Dell web site has a number of erroneous specications. For example,
the Latitude 100L and Latitude C840 both support 2x1GB SODIMMs, yet the
specs on the web site say 1GB max. I have a client who wants to replace
his Inspiron 2650 (which really sucks) with a chipset-compatible laptop
handling 2GB or memory, so we can take the hard drive from the 2650 and
pop it into another Dell easily, without the usual BSOD you get when you
move a hard drive from one computer to another.

The Dimension 2650 really sucks because its crippled 845MZ chipset
cannot handle more than 512MB total. The C840 has the 845MP chipset,
part of the same 845 family, so it uses the same Windows drivers, and
works well with 2GB. I tested one this morning. The 100L has the 852GMV
chipset, a close relative of the 845, and I am unsure if it is close enough.

At least I can offer the guy one possible replacement that is almost
100% likely to work, and to save him the many hours of reinstalling all
his specialized but not pirated software.

Just shows that you can't believe everything you read... Ben Myers
Old March 9th 10, 09:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On Mar 9, 5:38 am, Bob wrote:
Just got a good deal on used DDR and upped her to 2X512. I does make
a big difference...but I wasn't about to pay what the want for new
DDR!

bob_v

My eight year old 4550 has 768 MB of memory. Back then I think I paid
$45 for a 512 MB stick. Last time I looked a 512 MB stick was about
$18. I thought that was pretty cheap. Isn't it?

I added 512MB to my 2003 4550 two years after I got it, which maxed it out
at 1GB. Wish I could add more. The machine has been running 24 x 7 since
first plugged in.

Anyone accustomed to using a system with many open applications and
window tabs will see an improvement in transition time from program to
program or window to window with 2GB rather than 1GB. I have a client
who drives me a bit crazy because he typically has Outlook (a memory hog
with large PST file), multiple IE windows, Word, Excel, several Acrobat
Reader windows, ACT and who knows what else running on his newer Dell
Latitude at the same time. He complained about having a slow system
until I took the system memory from 2GB to 3GB. He is a candidate for a
newer quad processor laptop with 8GB memory and 64-bit Windows 7.

But for the run-of-the-mill person who does only two or three things at
once, 1GB is OK. Unless Skype and two or three IMs are running as well.
Skype is a very useful and cost-effective memory hog... Ben Myers
Old March 9th 10, 09:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_6_]

"Cynthia G" wrote in
:

"Boris" wrote in message
powrwrap wrote in news:8910b9a7-64fd-47f6-a60e-
:

On Mar 9, 5:38 am, Bob Villa wrote:
Just got a good deal on used DDR and upped her to 2X512. I does
make a big difference...but I wasn't about to pay what the want for
new DDR!

bob_v

My eight year old 4550 has 768 MB of memory. Back then I think I
paid $45 for a 512 MB stick. Last time I looked a 512 MB stick was
about $18. I thought that was pretty cheap. Isn't it?

I added 512MB to my 2003 4550 two years after I got it, which maxed
it out at 1GB. Wish I could add more. The machine has been running
24 x 7 since first plugged in.

My 4550 runs XPHome, and when I went from 512MB to 1GB, the difference was
noticeable all around. The biggest difference was in painting the Window
Explorer thumbnail views, and when painting the pictures in whatever photo
gallery I had running at the time (Microsoft Picture It! from Dell?).

I've got about 8,000 pictures now, but haven't installed any gallery type
program. I will probably use Picasa as my sorting, viewing, emailing
program for the pictures, and I was wondering if with so many pictures,
would more memory make them paint faster on the screen.

But, probably not worth it when I could just move the project over to a
Win7 machine that already has 2GB RAM installed.
Old March 9th 10, 11:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
powrwrap

On Mar 9, 2:51*pm, "Cynthia G" wrote:

I have 2GB in mine. *It was after someone in thsi groups said it work that I
tried it. *The improvement going from 1 - 2GB was not as big as going from
512MB - 1GB, but it's still an improvement.

Great, here I was all geared up for a XPS Studio 9000 but if I spend
$50 on 1 GB of memory for my 8 year old Dimension, I'll have
(essentially) a faster computer...

LOL.

Old March 10th 10, 08:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jonathan Eales

"Bob Villa" wrote in message
Just got a good deal on used DDR and upped her to 2X512. I does make
a big difference...but I wasn't about to pay what the want for new
DDR!

bob_v

My old Dimension 4550 is just about to be retired! I've already received
its replacement, a brand new Vostro 430 i5-750 with 3Gb RAM and Windows 7,
I'm just waiting for my office to be redecorated and the new desks
installed.

I upgraded the 4550 to 1Gb a couple of years ago, but it just doesn't seem
responsive any more and multitasking with the old Pentium 4 2.53GHz is not
really possible. So the DDR RAM will be used for spares along with
everything else in the quirky old case.

I'll be sorry to see it go. Many a character has been typed and many a
word read on it.

Jonathan

Old March 11th 10, 11:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

One of the most solid machines I've ever owned. I still have a couple
running as TV extenders. Work great, even with HD.

Old March 11th 10, 11:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

Old March 11th 10, 11:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Mar 11, 5:45*am, "Tom Scales" wrote:
One of the most solid machines I've ever owned. *I still have a couple
running as TV extenders. *Work great, even with HD.

Conversation: The Old 4550 Is Still Hummin'!

Just got a good deal on used DDR and upped her to 2X512. *I does make
a big difference...but I wasn't about to pay what the want for new
DDR!

bob_v

Just a few facts on mine: no hardware problems; never have reinstalled
the original OS (one Windows repair); added DVD burner, ram, 256Mb DVI
card, flat-panel, and firewire (for palmcorder)

bob.

4550 Won't turn on gregor Dell Computers 8 January 17th 07 11:21 AM
Dimension 4550 PSU RobP Dell Computers 14 June 2nd 06 01:57 PM
New life to my 4550 Tom Scales Dell Computers 7 March 10th 05 11:41 PM
SP2 on Dim. 4550 Pete Dell Computers 22 September 5th 04 11:20 AM
4550 and Nvidia One of Many Dell Computers 9 November 2nd 03 12:03 AM