News Flash! No More Windows Discs!

Old March 5th 10, 04:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

Default News Flash! No More Windows Discs!

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

You bought a computer from Best Buy?

Ben said it very well. If you know exactly what you want (and maybe if
they've got a good deal going), and what you're getting, there's no
problem buying from there. And that includes computers.

Just ignore the 'Geek Squad', extended warranties (unless there is an
absolutely screaming good deal on one) and anything else, get what you
want and get out.

Best Buy and related stores do very well when you need something *now*
as well.

William

"You pays your money and you takes your choice."

Daddy
Old March 6th 10, 12:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

From: Daddy ]
Posted At: Thursday, March 04, 2010 8:19 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: News Flash! No More Windows Discs!

Attention All:

Dell was the last of the major OEMs to furnish a genuine Windows
install
disc (albeit an OEM version) as well as a Resource DVD.

Not any more.

"Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in

the
box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create

recovery
disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the
recovery
disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system
recovery
media."

https://support.dell.com/support/top...rt/dsn/documen
t?c=us&cs=19&docid=62A668E1C399857AE040AE0AB8E1294 2&l=en&s=dhs

Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an

impressive
piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.

And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect

my
recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm
negotiating with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this

article
was first published.

Daddy

I've purchased three Dell laptops in the last three months from Best
Buy, including one about 10 days ago.

All came with full Windows CDs. Not sure about the link or what
machines they're talking about.

Best Buy can make its own arrangements with Dell.

You bought a computer from Best Buy?

Daddy

Sure. Their sale prices are actually pretty good.

Old March 6th 10, 12:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Friday, March 05, 2010 10:36 AM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: News Flash! No More Windows Discs!

Hi!

You bought a computer from Best Buy?

Ben said it very well. If you know exactly what you want (and maybe if
they've got a good deal going), and what you're getting, there's no
problem buying from there. And that includes computers.

Just ignore the 'Geek Squad', extended warranties (unless there is an
absolutely screaming good deal on one) and anything else, get what you
want and get out.

Best Buy and related stores do very well when you need something *now*
as well.

William

I went to Best Buy two days before Christmas to buy their sale laptop.
EVERY SINGLE Dell laptop on the floor had a 'sticker' that said they had
done something extra (virus software, etc), adding to the price. The
sales guy said that was all they had.

I demanded a manager who magically found one that was 'bare' that was
kept in the back and the sales people weren't allowed in the back.

****ed me off.

They avoided, barely, a BBB complaint.

That said, it was a good price on what I wanted in a timeframe that
worked.

Old March 6th 10, 02:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Star@*.*

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 22:35:09 -0600, "Tom Scales"

[...]

You can be sure the machines were from older stock. This would explain
why you got all the disks.

Art

Old March 6th 10, 02:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Star@*.*

https://support.dell.com/support/top...942&l=en&s=dhs

Now I'll admit that "Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0" is an impressive
piece of work. But it's not a Windows disc.

And for those of you who are concerned about how this will affect my
recent order of a Studio XPS 8100...essentially, no one...I'm
negotiating with Dell. I placed my order just 8 days after this article
was first published.

Daddy

A real shame this has happened. The including of the disks, not
requireing activation, Useuable manuals and this newsgroup were great
pluses for Dell.
Looks like all that is left is this newsgroup.
The activation was stolen by MS and possibly the media also.
Again a real shame.

Art

Old March 6th 10, 02:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Martin Walker

"Daddy" wrote in message
[...]

I just received an Inspiron 580 last week from Dell and it came with
operating system and driver discs. Maybe it was older stock on hand. It was
one of their advertised deals and I didn't make any modifications to the
order. It's a pretty nice machine with i5-750 processor, 6G RAM, 1TB HD, AMD
Radeon 5450 (1GB), and ST2210 monitor. My only gripe is that they didn't
include an HDMI cable with a machine capable of using one.

Old March 6th 10, 06:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

[...]

All emptors should caveat like you did! Beware of the sales on the Ides
of March, coming up real soon now. Now with Staples loading up the
aisles with computer gear, in response to the demise of Circuit City,
and with Staples now advertising "services", one can surmise that
Staples will begin playing the same sticker tricks that Best Buy plays.
It's almost like going into a used car lot, which is probably where
the Best Buy marketing types went to pick up this sort of sticker price
inflation... Ben Myers
Old March 6th 10, 06:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 3/5/2010 11:46 AM, Daddy wrote:
William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

You bought a computer from Best Buy?

Ben said it very well. If you know exactly what you want (and maybe if
they've got a good deal going), and what you're getting, there's no
problem buying from there. And that includes computers.

Just ignore the 'Geek Squad', extended warranties (unless there is an
absolutely screaming good deal on one) and anything else, get what you
want and get out.

Best Buy and related stores do very well when you need something *now*
as well.

William

"You pays your money and you takes your choice."

Daddy

Or as the old saying goes, "Caveat Emptor!" ... Ben Myers
Old March 6th 10, 07:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

Tom Scales wrote:
[...]

Alright.

I wonder: What is the big deal about not including a Windows disk? What
made the OEMs stop including one with their PCs?

Is it an issue of support? Maybe the OEMs don't want to have to deal
with people who mess up their computers by (mis)using their Windows
disc? Or maybe they don't want their script-reading support techs to
walk people through re-installing Windows -- something neither party
really understands?

I don't know about that. In the first place, Dell has no warranty
obligation if I mess up my computer by playing with Windows. And they
can always tell their script-readers that re-installing Windows is not
supported so you're not allowed to advise doing so.

Or maybe it's big bad Microsoft trying to cut down on the number of
Windows discs in circulation, as a way of to combat 'piracy'?

Daddy
Old March 6th 10, 10:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Friday, March 05, 2010 8:08 PM

[...]

I don't think they were from older stock. Absolutely the most current
model with Windows 7 preinstalled.

News: Dell refunds Windows price for Linux User William R. Walsh[_2_] Dell Computers 7 October 22nd 09 02:17 AM
News: Possible reprieve for Windows XP [email protected] Dell Computers 9 April 27th 08 03:24 AM
windows asks me to insert discs that are already inserted Andrew General Hardware 1 May 21st 04 01:13 AM
*news flash* WSZsr Dell Computers 3 November 22nd 03 05:36 PM
NEWS:'Critical' flaw found in Windows trappeduser Homebuilt PC's 14 July 27th 03 01:18 PM