Possible to add HDMI outout to Optiplex 780?

Old February 15th 10, 10:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Possible to add HDMI outout to Optiplex 780?

I can get a really good deal on Optiplex 780 here at
the engineering university I attend.

However, besides doing school work on it, would also
like the 780 to act as home theater PC. As such it
would be nice to have HDMI output on it.

Will I need a whole new video and sound card with HDMI
port..... or is it just a matter of installing a card
with HDMI port only? Dumb question I know... but not
clear on what will need done.
Old February 16th 10, 07:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

"WSZsr" wrote:

But does the DVI port pass sound? Better to get an inexpensive ATI 4xxx
series with and HDMI port

that's what I'm thinking too....that dvi wont pass
audio
Old February 16th 10, 09:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

DVI does not have any facility to pass sound through. It is a video
only connection.

(It is, however, electrically convertible to an HDMI connection with
an adapter. However, this will not add sound unless the DVI to HDMI
adapter has a way to plug into a sound card as well. I've never seen
one that did.)

William
Old February 18th 10, 03:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nick[_7_]

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 06:41:55 -0600, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "WSZsr"
wrote:

HDMI carries both audio and video. No other connections required.

I know that perfectly well.

However, the original poster doesn't have an HDMI port on his computer.

If he does have a DVI port, using a DVI to HDMI adapter and a separate audio
cable might be a simpler solution than adding a new video card just to get
an HDMI port.

But that will only work if his TV has HDMI audio input connectors that can
be used for the audio signal that isn't available from the computer's DVI
connector.

--
Nick

HDMI and DVI? Mike Marquis Dell Computers 11 January 16th 08 08:03 PM
IS ANYONE USING AN OPTIPLEX GX 520? I'm using an Optiplex 210 that's glitchy patty Dell Computers 6 August 9th 06 05:13 PM
HDMI out Bob Nvidia Videocards 1 April 1st 06 08:25 PM
HDMI and DVI? Kenny Nvidia Videocards 2 January 14th 06 08:30 AM
HDMI? 78 Ati Videocards 2 November 23rd 04 01:22 PM