VGA vs HDMI

Old January 17th 10, 06:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
n o s p a m p l e a s e[_2_]

Default VGA vs HDMI

I watch streaming videos/media on TV. I have connected my laptop to TV
through a cable (I guess s-video cable). My TV is old and so is
laptop. I am thinking to change TV (42" LED).

One store is of the opinion that I must get a new computer with
provision for HDMI connection to TV.

The other store advises that there will hardly be any difference
between VGA and HDMI connection. So I can keep my old laptop doing the
the same job with new TV. He however failed to show me a demo in the
store that
could have satisfied me.

My question is: which opinion should I go by?
Old January 17th 10, 07:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:
I watch streaming videos/media on TV. I have connected my laptop to TV
through a cable (I guess s-video cable). My TV is old and so is
laptop. I am thinking to change TV (42" LED).

One store is of the opinion that I must get a new computer with
provision for HDMI connection to TV.

The other store advises that there will hardly be any difference
between VGA and HDMI connection. So I can keep my old laptop doing the
the same job with new TV. He however failed to show me a demo in the
store that
could have satisfied me.

My question is: which opinion should I go by?

Try searching the web with this as your search term:

HDMI versus VGA

Daddy
Old January 17th 10, 08:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Depends on the TV. Samsung and Vizio do well with VGA (at least the
ones I own). LG is a failure.

Make sure that VGA supports the native panel resolution. If so, HDMI
and VGA will be virtually identical.

Posted At: Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:41 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: VGA vs HDMI

I watch streaming videos/media on TV. I have connected my laptop to TV
through a cable (I guess s-video cable). My TV is old and so is
laptop. I am thinking to change TV (42" LED).

One store is of the opinion that I must get a new computer with
provision for HDMI connection to TV.

The other store advises that there will hardly be any difference
between VGA and HDMI connection. So I can keep my old laptop doing the
the same job with new TV. He however failed to show me a demo in the
store that
could have satisfied me.

My question is: which opinion should I go by?

Our Samsung (40" LCD) works great thru VGA! (Now I need a better
wireless desktop!)

bob

Posted At: Sunday, January 17, 2010 12:41 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: VGA vs HDMI
I watch streaming videos/media on TV. I have connected my laptop to TV
through a cable (I guess s-video cable). My TV is old and so is
laptop. I am thinking to change TV (42" LED).
One store is of the opinion that I must get a new computer with
provision for HDMI connection to TV.
The other store advises that there will hardly be any difference
between VGA and HDMI connection. So I can keep my old laptop doing the
the same job with new TV. He however failed to show me a demo in the
store that
could have satisfied me.
My question is: which opinion should I go by?

Our Samsung (40" LCD) works great thru VGA! (Now I need a better
wireless desktop!)

bob

You might try a wired connection if you have the cable first. I have my
46" Samsung hooked (wired not wireless) to an old Dell 2400 P4 @ 3.06
Ghz and 1.5Gb Ram as a dedicated HT PC with VGA and it streams great.
The only wireless are the laptops.

Charles

[...]

Not sure what you are talking about. BOTH hdmi and vga are WIRED.
Dave

[...]

Refering to wireless keyb'd and mouse!
Old January 19th 10, 03:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Lake

"n o s p a m p l e a s e" wrote in message
I watch streaming videos/media on TV. I have connected my laptop to TV
through a cable (I guess s-video cable). My TV is old and so is
laptop. I am thinking to change TV (42" LED).

One store is of the opinion that I must get a new computer with
provision for HDMI connection to TV.

If you plan on watching Blu-ray, get the HDMI. The copy protection
won't allow you to play through VGA without cracks.

Tom Lake

[...]

I assumed from your original post you were watching streaming videos
over the internet thus I was talking about wireless vs wired connections
to your router. If this is not the case, disregard my earlier comment.

[...]

I assumed from your original post that you were watching streaming
videos from the internet thus the wired / wireless connection to your
router. If this is not the case, disregard my previous statement.
Sorry about the possible confusion.
Charles

HDMI from a PC ? johns Homebuilt PC's 5 August 4th 08 08:07 PM
M3A-H/HDMI ROB Asus Motherboards 12 May 25th 08 01:03 PM
HDMI and SLI [email protected] Nvidia Videocards 0 January 28th 08 05:22 AM
HDMI and DVI? Mike Marquis Dell Computers 11 January 16th 08 08:03 PM
4GB on M2A-VM HDMI Sudsy Asus Motherboards 2 October 27th 07 07:01 PM