faultrep.dll Can't fix

Old December 14th 09, 08:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default faultrep.dll Can't fix

The machine is an i6400 (E1505), running the original factory install of
XPHome SP2, updated to SP3. The harddrive has about 88% of free space.

The machine has been locking up, especially when running IE6, and
sometimes FFox. The event viewer shows:

Hanging application IEXPLORE.EXE, version 6.0.2900.2180, hang module
hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address0x00000000. File name is
faultrep.dll, version 5.1.0600.5512.

Googling I found suggestions to run "regsvr32 faultrep.dll" from the Run
box. I did, but got:

faultrep.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not
found. This file can not be registered.

Googling further, it was suggested to run "sfc/scannow" from a command
prompt, and insert my Windows XP cd if requested. I ran the command, but
wasn't asked to insert the Windows XP cd.

I still have the problem, and still can't register faultrep.dll.

I then decided to try and do a factory reinstall by pressing Ctrl F11 at
boot up, but the machine keeps loading to the desktop.

I then decided to use the Windows XP cd to do a repair install, but when
I press R when prompted, and then 1 for C:Windows, I'm told to type the
administrator password. I do not have it passworded, so I just press
enter, but then only get a square cursor, and have to press the on/off
button to shut down.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old December 14th 09, 08:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Boris wrote in
. 213:

[...]

It may be helpful to add that there is only one account, mine, and it is
not passworded. There is not a guest account.
Old December 14th 09, 10:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Pressing R gets you to the recovery console, NOT a repair install.
Google Repair Install for simple instructions.

Tom

Posted At: Monday, December 14, 2009 2:07 AM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: faultrep.dll Can't fix
Subject: faultrep.dll Can't fix

[...]

shut down.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old December 14th 09, 02:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

Any ideas?

Yeah. From what information you've presented, the nature of the crash
really doesn't make sense. Nor do the unexpected lockups.

I think you may have a hardware problem. You should download and run a
copy of Memtest 86 for starters and let it go for a few hours. Or you
can use Dell Diagnostics if they are still installed on your system.
(F12 at startup.)

William
Old December 14th 09, 07:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Animenia[_28_]

If I understand you correctly you've enter the repair console and you
are supposed to type the following command: CHKDSK /r

This command will start a checkdisk and will attempt to repair any
error it encounters.
However, a chkdsk repair should not be viewed as a solution to your
issue... A complete re-install including a format of the disk is more
recommended since the chkdsk doesn't guarantee the issue won't occur
again.

The time it takes to run a chkdsk repair may vary from 1 hour up to 36
hours depending on the size of the drive and the amount and severity of
the errors.

/ Ani

Old December 14th 09, 07:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

Any ideas?

Yeah. From what information you've presented, the nature of the crash
really doesn't make sense. Nor do the unexpected lockups.

I think you may have a hardware problem. You should download and run a
copy of Memtest 86 for starters and let it go for a few hours. Or you
can use Dell Diagnostics if they are still installed on your system.
(F12 at startup.)

William

that plus ( and possibly first) download/install/run the free software
from www.malwarebytes.org. also, upgrade your internet explorer to ie8
along with everything else for windows via mutilple visits to
http://update.microsoft.com
Old December 14th 09, 09:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Christopher Muto wrote in news:VJadnRePF-M-
:

William R. Walsh wrote:
Hi!

Any ideas?

Yeah. From what information you've presented, the nature of the crash
really doesn't make sense. Nor do the unexpected lockups.

I think you may have a hardware problem. You should download and run a
copy of Memtest 86 for starters and let it go for a few hours. Or you
can use Dell Diagnostics if they are still installed on your system.
(F12 at startup.)

William

that plus ( and possibly first) download/install/run the free software
from
www.malwarebytes.org. also, upgrade your internet explorer to ie8
along with everything else for windows via mutilple visits to
http://update.microsoft.com

Hi,

The primary problem is that it takes forever to get anywhere on the
internet, and sometimes will just lock up so that I have to reboot.
Email (Outlook Express) works fine. AIM works fine.

A few days ago, before I did anything, I hunted for malware. I've got
Avast running in real time, and I also did a full scan with Avast.
Nothing found but the normal cookies. I ran HijackThis, and the log
showed nothing.

I flushed the DNS.

Last night, I ran the Dell Diagnostics, including the longer memory test.
All passed.

I was just about to download and run Malwarebytes, but when I try to go
to malwarebytes.org, I get redirected to different sites each time. Once
to buyonelinedating.com, once to zanuga.com, once to...oh well, you get
the idea. This is completely new. I have Avast running, not that it
would catch everything.

I ran HijackThis just now, and nothing.

When I came out of HijackThis, my screen popped up a window that said
Warning you are infected and should buy Cyber Security. I tried to get
to taskmanager to shut the window down, but another window popped up
saying that taskmanager had been disabled by my administrator. Oh, crap,
this is a real nasty one, and not at all what I started out to solve, or
at least it didn't show up a few days ago. Then, another window popped
up and said it was installing Internet Security 2010 (a known
trojan/virus). I pushed the on/off button. But, it was too late,
because I just rebooted the machine, and I got the Spyware Alert window
that this trojan creates. "Worm.Win32NetSky detected on your machine."

http://tinyurl.com/yc4qp86

Hmmm...I see doing things like installing Malwarebytes via flash drive,
and possilby having to run from Safe Mode.

By the way, this all started about a week after my wife started doing her
Christmas shopping full bore online.

Back to the hunt.
Old December 14th 09, 10:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

William R. Walsh wrote:
[...]

Bite the bullet and do a complete (clean) reinstall. It sounds like a
virus if you get redirected regardless of what your antivirus software
is telling you. I say this because the time you spend trying to fix
the problem will likely take longer than biting the bullet. I had to
do this myself not that long ago on one laptop of mine.
Old December 14th 09, 10:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

"RnR" wrote in
news

William R. Walsh wrote:
[...]

RnR,

I'm starting to agree. What I've found is that this primarily happens
when I use the google search engine. I click on a legitimate link like
malwarebytes.org, and I'm taken to bcckools.com, deneg.org, or
thewebinternet.com, etc. Hitting the back button gets me to some other
fake site. Many times when I land on a site, Avast pops up, the siren
sounds, and says I've landed on a trojan, and do I want to disconnect.
It all seems to be getting worse. Since I began this about a week ago,
I've spent more than 16 hours on it (not all attended). A reinstall is
no big deal, there's little data that I have to save, and it's not my
machine.

I sort of like chasing malware, but I guess the assholes won this one.

Thanks
Old December 14th 09, 11:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MJMIII[_2_]

"Boris" wrote in message
. 213...
[...]

Not really. Have someone download malwarebytes to a thumb drive and install
it on your computer that way. While your at it have them download
superantispyware and follow the same procedure. You have an 80% chance of
successfully removing the bugs.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.