Anyone heard of Ebuyer? Returns advice

Old February 8th 04, 12:02 PM
Phöènix

Default Anyone heard of Ebuyer? Returns advice

I am sitting here smelling the coffee mulling over a problem, that my friend
has just about got over, wondering if there may not still be someone with a
useful last ditch suggestion.

My friend asked her husband to buy her an item from Ebuyer for christmas
which he dutifully did. Unfortunately I had been unable to find the item on
ebuyer due to Ebuyers misspelling. I did come a cross the item just after he
had ordered and realised it may not have the required spec. I left a message
on her phone to the effect about which she did nothing.

If my call had been returned I would have urged him/her to send a cancelling
e-mail in case they did decided to DSR the item.

Suffice to say they waited until after christmas (maybe twenty days after
purchase), found the spec was under requirement. They spent about well over
£300 with Ebuyer of which this item was £150. They asked if they can return
this unopened item at their own cost and purchase the next model up (for
around £180) instead.

They have not received a helpful response.

I guess that is the end of the matter unless the item turns out to be faulty
or unless someone has a suggestion.

I am not sure of the exact correspondence, just that nothing useful has come
of it.

Ebuyer obviously took the marketing option over xmas not to act like many
high st stores, and the likes of Amazon, with respect to extended returns
periods. My friend was a bit naive and ignorant and has paid the price. BUT
it does seem daft that Ebuyer be so willing to lose a customer and gain
further negative references when the option to upgrade the item at the
customers cost would have had a very different result and promoted positive
feedback.

I'm sure this isn't the first or even the thousandth time that Ebuyer have
been accused of needlessly being their own worst enemy wrt customer
relations.

The items sells on Ebay for around £140 inc delivery and the replacement can
be sourced from elsewhere cheaper than Ebuyer so the loss may not be too
bad, just annoying and inconvenient.

Old February 8th 04, 12:13 PM
Mike Redrobe

Phöènix wrote:

...twenty days after purchase ...

asked if they can return this unopened item at their own cost and
purchase the next model up (for around £180) instead.

They have not received a helpful response.

Let me guess, they used enotes?
ebuyer have an automated returns page - not enotes.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q14923657

If you use the right tool, you'll get better results...

--
Mike

Old February 8th 04, 01:11 PM
Phöènix

Mike Redrobe wrote:
Phöènix wrote:

...twenty days after purchase ...

asked if they can return this unopened item at their own cost and
purchase the next model up (for around £180) instead.

They have not received a helpful response.

Let me guess, they used enotes?
ebuyer have an automated returns page - not enotes.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q14923657

If you use the right tool, you'll get better results...

Thanks, I have passed that on.

Looks to me as if they will probably have to take a hit on the re-stocking
fee in which case they will go elsewhere for the replacement and steer well
clear of EB in future. Similar reaction to many people new to online buying
I guess.

Old February 8th 04, 01:19 PM
Fat Freddy's Cat

"Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message

Looks to me as if they will probably have to take a hit on the re-stocking
fee

Maybe ebuyer should pilot a 'try before you buy scheme' where punters can
purchase any items and return them within 3 months unused at no cost.

With the huge margins available on IT components, its sure to be a winner.

g.

Old February 8th 04, 01:31 PM
R D S

Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:
|| "Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
||| Looks to me as if they will probably have to take a hit on the
||| re-stocking fee
|| Maybe ebuyer should pilot a 'try before you buy scheme' where
|| punters can purchase any items and return them within 3 months
|| unused at no cost.
|| With the huge margins available on IT components, its sure to be a
|| winner.
|| g.

Maybe you shouldn't have to pay for the item until you are fully satisfied
either.

Old February 8th 04, 01:49 PM
Oscar

R D S wrote:
Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:
|| "Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message
||| Looks to me as if they will probably have to take a hit on the
||| re-stocking fee
|| Maybe ebuyer should pilot a 'try before you buy scheme' where
|| punters can purchase any items and return them within 3 months
|| unused at no cost.
|| With the huge margins available on IT components, its sure to be a
|| winner.
|| g.

Maybe you shouldn't have to pay for the item until you are fully satisfied
either.

How about they send an engineer to fit it, you don't pay until the next
model comes along, they upgrade to that model at no extra cost. Of
course the engineer will be on call 24 hours a day to sort out any
problems and if you're lucky if you have a **** when the engineers there
he'll wipe your arse for you.

Seriously your friend made a mistake, it happens, but why should 6 weeks
after they bought it ebuyer refund them? It's not an on-line thing, if
you bought a car battery from Halfords and tried to take it back 6 weeks
later because it didn't fit your car would they? not without a big fuss
I suspect.
Old February 8th 04, 01:54 PM
Phöènix

Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:
"Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message

Looks to me as if they will probably have to take a hit on the
re-stocking fee

Maybe ebuyer should pilot a 'try before you buy scheme' where punters
can purchase any items and return them within 3 months unused at no
cost.

Do you think so? Sounds a bit over the top to me. Bet they're glad you're
not their marketing agent.

I think Amazon may have done quite well out of the 28 day extension over
christmas but it would probably be a different matter as the norm. Far too
many ASSHOLES around trying to take advantage.

With the huge margins available on IT components, its sure to be a
winner.

You seem to be remarkably badly informed. Try reading the group a bit more
before being tempted to post.

g.

Seems to me you have decided to make some wild assumptions in respect to my
post just as an excuse to make another of your anti consumer rants.

If you would like to explain the relevance of your post and your assumptions
I may happily point outwhere you have strayed. Alternatively I may just tell
you to go blow it out your ASSHOLE.

Old February 8th 04, 02:20 PM
Phöènix

Oscar wrote:
R D S wrote:
Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:
"Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote in message

[snip ignorant sarcasm and brainwave marketing suggestions]

Seriously your friend made a mistake, it happens, but why should 6
weeks after they bought it ebuyer refund them? It's not an on-line
thing, if you bought a car battery from Halfords and tried to take it
back 6 weeks later because it didn't fit your car would they? not
without a big fuss I suspect.

Your a little mistaken in your response. I had written that it was their own
fault as they had been naive and a little ignorant despite my attempt at
warning them. You're post suggests some impression that they or I felt they
had some rights in this respect.

I think it is a shame that Ebuyer did not feel able to use a little more
discretion as they could have suggested a compromise re-stocking fee and
would have sold a more expensive item and gained a long term customer and
further recommendations.

They informed Ebuyer a couple of days after christmas. This was probably at
most only 10 or 12 working days after they recieved the item, so 6 weeks is
a bit misleading. They have been corresponding but at no time did Ebuyer say
they could return the item as "incorrect item ordered" and pay a restocking
fee.

I know our feline contributor decided to read his own inference into my
statement of assumed fact about the restocking fee but that is only for his
own nefarious motives.

BTW, not that it is relevant, but I suspect you may be wrong about the car
battery in many cases. It's called managers discretion and many use it to
keep customers happy and retain their custom.

Old February 8th 04, 02:50 PM
Paul Hopwood

"Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote:

Maybe ebuyer should pilot a 'try before you buy scheme' where punters
can purchase any items and return them within 3 months unused at no
cost.

Do you think so? Sounds a bit over the top to me. Bet they're glad you're
not their marketing agent.

I'm somehow getting the vibe that no, our feline friend doesn't think
so. I took it to be a joke. It's called "a sense of humour"; you
might try it some time.

--
iv Paul iv

Old February 8th 04, 03:09 PM
Paul Hopwood

"Phöènix" mindyouownbusiness wrote:

Suffice to say they waited until after christmas (maybe twenty days after
purchase), found the spec was under requirement. They spent about well over
£300 with Ebuyer of which this item was £150. They asked if they can return
this unopened item at their own cost and purchase the next model up (for
around £180) instead.

Had the item proven to be faulty they'd be covered by SOGA but DSR is
quite explicit in defining the period of cover and no longer applies.

You are therefore relying entirely on goodwill on the behalf of
eBuyer.

They have not received a helpful response.

If they have indicated they would accept the goods back with a
re-stocking fee it is more than they're obliged to do so I wouldn't
regard them as being unhelpful.

I guess that is the end of the matter unless the item turns out to be faulty
or unless someone has a suggestion.

Ebuyer have offered a solution above and beyond their legal
obligations, it's up to your friends decide if they will accept the
offer. If they consider it unacceptable they're free to use other
avenues to dispose of the unwanted goods and obtain replacements.

Ebuyer obviously took the marketing option over xmas not to act like many
high st stores, and the likes of Amazon, with respect to extended returns
periods.

Those companies I suspect are on somewhat higher margins and enjoy
larger volume of sales than eBuyer so can probably afford to fund the
inevitable cost of such a policy. Had your friends wished to exploit
an extended "no quibble" return policy they should of ordered from a
company offering one, and paid the premium for doing so.

My friend was a bit naive and ignorant and has paid the price. BUT
it does seem daft that Ebuyer be so willing to lose a customer and gain
further negative references when the option to upgrade the item at the
customers cost would have had a very different result and promoted positive
feedback.

Ebuyer, like many mail order companies, rely on large volume of low
margin sales. If your friends is only doing a few hundred pounds
worth of business them, even if they do a similar amount every year,
I'd wager ebuyer will NEVER recover the cost of doing "the right
thing" in this particular case so it may well work out more
cost-effective to write-off a potentially expensive customer. It's
unfortunate when you're on the receiving end but "managers discretion"
is entirely that; the management have the right to choose if they wish
to retain a customer and bear the cost of doing so; they're equally
entitled do decide they don't want your custom.

I'm sure this isn't the first or even the thousandth time that Ebuyer have
been accused of needlessly being their own worst enemy wrt customer
relations.

They do have something of a reputation for it. People buy from them
and will continue to do so because they're cheap. They have a record
of abysmal customer service which is almost certainly a commercial
decision to adopt minimalist customer service policies to maintain the
low operating costs that allow them to compete on price.

The items sells on Ebay for around £140 inc delivery and the replacement can
be sourced from elsewhere cheaper than Ebuyer so the loss may not be too
bad, just annoying and inconvenient.

That's life, and the cost of placing business with a vendor based
entirely on price. At some point buying "cheap" will cost you more!

--
iv Paul iv