9600 pro installation problem

Old November 17th 03, 04:20 PM
Paul

Default 9600 pro installation problem

I'm running winxp and I just installed a 9600 pro but I cannot install the
drivers. I get a "data invalid" error when attempting to load the drivers
with install wizard and a message from windows saying to install a vga
driver before attempting to install new drivers. I have tried just about
everything. Help!!!!!

Old November 17th 03, 04:42 PM
Skid

You're not supposed to use the Windows install wizard. Uninstall any and all
drivers and apps from your old card. Reboot, and when Windows detects the
card and asks if you want to install drivers, DON'T. Cancel back to the
desktop and run the ATI driver installation applet, followed by the control
panel.

Old November 18th 03, 06:26 AM
KeithM

"Paul" wrote in message
I'm running winxp and I just installed a 9600 pro but I cannot install

the
drivers. I get a "data invalid" error when attempting to load the

drivers
with install wizard and a message from windows saying to install a vga
driver before attempting to install new drivers. I have tried just about
everything. Help!!!!!

Actually, I had the same problem, and it was caused BECAUSE I uninstalled
the original (nvidia) drivers. The ATi setup then stalled because there was
nothing to install over! I disabled the VGAsafe driver and now I can't even
boot into safe mode (blank screen). Anyone know how to solve this?

When I tried this on a different HD by just booting with the older drivers,
it worked okay and I was able to run the ATi install program.

Keithm

Old November 18th 03, 01:45 PM
Skid

"KeithM" wrote in message

Actually, I had the same problem, and it was caused BECAUSE I uninstalled
the original (nvidia) drivers. The ATi setup then stalled because there

was
nothing to install over! I disabled the VGAsafe driver and now I can't

even
boot into safe mode (blank screen). Anyone know how to solve this?

When I tried this on a different HD by just booting with the older

drivers,
it worked okay and I was able to run the ATi install program.

Failure to uninstall old drivers is the most common cause of the problems
reported in this newsgroup on a regular basis. Even updating from one ATI
driver revision to another is best done clean, and certainly leaving old
Nvidia files scattered around the system folder and registry are an
invitation to trouble.

If you had followed the directions in my post above, it would have worked.

Assuming you can still see the bios screen before you get into Windows, you
might try booting to the Windows CD and doing a system restore.

Old December 17th 03, 03:54 AM
Air Force Jayhawk

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:45:05 GMT, "Skid"
wrote:

"KeithM" wrote in message

[...]

OK...how does one cleanly remove ALL video drivers from the system and
the HD. I started with an nVidia driver and am going to a AIW 9000
pro. Still can't make it work at all. Everything aborts.

AFJ
Old December 17th 03, 05:15 PM
Dark Avenger

wrote:

"KeithM" wrote in message

[...]

Tools like Nasty File Remover are made, they seek out all the little
bits left behind and remove those files!

If all fails, re-installing windows is the best option!