Some help with a hd configuration...8KNXP

Old May 8th 04, 02:30 AM
MTech

Default Some help with a hd configuration...8KNXP

Man I keep reading the manual and all it does is make me more confused. I
just got a WD raptor HD I'd like to run on my 8KNXP. There's so much
conflicting advice out there I thought you masters could straighten me out.

This will be my ONLY HD on the system..can I use it to boot? Should I
connect it to the ICH5R or the SIL3112? I'd just like to take advantage of
a sata drive at this time and maybe move onto a raid configuration
later...hence, the single drive.

Thanks
Don

Old May 8th 04, 07:43 AM
Tim

Don,

ICH5R = On Chip SATA controller. ("On Board" is the Silicon image), Manual
(not Auto) Config, Sata as Sata. Raid Enabled - even if you have only 1
disc, this is called RAID Ready and enables you to activate RAID at run time
when ready after adding another disc of course.

The SATA plug goes into the 'top right' SATA connector on the mobo nearest
the IDE ports - its not too clear on the v1 mobo. The left SATA's closest to
PCI are the SIL SATA ports, the right two are Intel ICH5R.

If you are not using the gigaraid (aka ITE) controller, disable it.
If you are not using the Silicon Image controller, disable it.
Disable all that you do not intend to use immediately.

You need the ICH5R raid drivers on floppy for F6 install in Windows XP. If
you have Me / 98 you are out of luck & will have to set the controller to
replace one of the IDE ports (slower, you lose the corresponding IDE port
when a SATA port is mapped like this).

For a version 1 board only:
Get the latest bios - F10 I think. It will confirm which drive you are
booting off more correctly than any other.
If you have a bios prior to F6, or the F7, or F8 bios then change to F10.
If you are on bios F6 or F9 (both are OK sort of) then it is up to you. F6
does not clearly show you within the bios if you have a SATA disc connected
unless you have rebooted a couple of times. Don't know about F9.
Personally, I would put the latest bios in (using DOS boot floppy method)
and download the SATA drivers afresh to ensure you start with the latest
versions.

For a version 2 board. Don't know. People didn't seem to have anywhere as
much problems with V2's - I would use latest bios and drivers.

BOL!

HTH
- Tim

Old May 13th 04, 11:49 PM
Michael Len

Look up the ICH5R on Intel.com and download the pdf that gives
instructions for installing the drivers. Follow the 'F6' method. Even
though you only have one drive you should install the RAID drivers. If
you just map to Primary IDE you will not get the SATA drivers installed.
That is what happened to me and now I have get a second drive in order
to install the ICH5R driver.
The trick is to watch for "to install RAID press F6 now" during boot up,
it goes by in a flash. If you proceed to install with out the ICH5R
driver you won't get a second chance. THE 'press F6' option does not
appear after you have completed installing Windows. That is my
situation with A rev 1 board.
Gigabyte 8KNXP, P4 2.8C, Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2PT Cas 2-3-3-5,
SiSoft Sandra 2003 Unbuffered ALU 2973MB/s, Int Buff 4909MB/s, Memtest86
2442 MB/s, Zalman CNPS 7000AlCu, WD360GD Raptor, Radeon 8500LL,
WinXP Pro