Flashed bios causes keyboard not be be sensed

Old June 2nd 04, 03:30 PM

Default Flashed bios causes keyboard not be be sensed

Hi all.

Asus P4S533
P4 1.8/2.4
1Gig PC2700 2 Dimms
ATI Radeon 9800NP
IBM 120 GB HD
WinXP @ home sp1

Yesterday I updated the bios to my computer.
I backed up the old bios to my hd.
Rebooted and my keyboard isn't recognized.
I don't have a floppy drive on that computer but can
take it from this one if necessary.
I can get into the bios setup by holding down the delete key as I boot.
Once I'm in, the keyboard isn't recognized.
I switched keyboards and that didn't work either.
The bios seems to have reset itslf to the defaults and I recall there was a
problem with
onboard IDE controller in the default setting. Without access to the
keyboard, I'm stumped.

I really don't want to swap out the motherboard.

I built this computer by myself, so there obviously isn't any warranty.

Any suggestions?

Jon

Old June 2nd 04, 07:34 PM
Gareth Jones

In message , a
writes
Yesterday I updated the bios to my computer.
I backed up the old bios to my hd.
Rebooted and my keyboard isn't recognized.

Have you disconnected the power and cleared the CMOS ???

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'
Old June 2nd 04, 08:46 PM
Lil' Dave

Next time...
Write down all non-default settings.
Clear the cmos.
Flash the bios.
Reboot.
Clear the cmos again.
Enter any non-default settings.
Save and reboot.

If your PC is stuffed with cards and other irq consuming hardware, you may
have remove some, then reinstall one at a time for bios to adjust system
properly. This is not normally the keyboard.
"a" wrote in message
Hi all.

Asus P4S533
P4 1.8/2.4
1Gig PC2700 2 Dimms
ATI Radeon 9800NP
IBM 120 GB HD
WinXP @ home sp1

Yesterday I updated the bios to my computer.
I backed up the old bios to my hd.

Order of things is kinda backwards ain't it?

Old June 3rd 04, 04:38 AM

Thanks, I'll try that.

Jon

"Gareth Jones" wrote in message
In message , a
writes

Old June 3rd 04, 09:31 AM
Gareth Jones

In message , a
writes
That did it!

Thanks Gareth.

No probs.
I still can't get over how often I forget to turn off the main power
when clearing the CMOS and wonder why nothings changed... bloody new
fangled ATX power supplies;-)