+5V stability mod.

Old February 28th 04, 09:24 PM
Moods

Default +5V stability mod.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips845/

How do I know which mosfet to use for this mod
I have an Asus A7N8X(-X) (don't think the extra x is of any importance
here)

THX!

--
Ugh!

Old February 28th 04, 09:32 PM
Geoff

Moods wrote:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips845/

How do I know which mosfet to use for this mod
I have an Asus A7N8X(-X) (don't think the extra x is of any importance
here)

THX!

if you know your stuff, nice little mod to bypass your atx connecter
really though it's of little use, unless you have to do such a mod to fix a
problem of course, just buy a better psu imo

Old February 28th 04, 09:33 PM
ICee

Moods wrote:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips845/

How do I know which mosfet to use for this mod
I have an Asus A7N8X(-X) (don't think the extra x is of any importance
here)

THX!

Quoting from the article:
"Once you locate the core voltage regulating Mosfets (usually six of
them), you will see them typically grouped in threes, though some
motherboard manufacturers still use twos. On three of them, the center
pin is attached directly to the +5V path coming over from the ATX
connector and three of them are not. *You can determine this by taking a
multimeter and checking each of them with the power on.* "

Old February 28th 04, 09:35 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Moods schrieb:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips845/

How do I know which mosfet to use for this mod
I have an Asus A7N8X(-X) (don't think the extra x is of any importance
here)

Hmm. Don't nForce2 boards like yours mostly use +12V for the CPU? It
would not be a particularly good idea to short +5V to +12V... (The
article is a bit older already, at that time Socket A boards mostly used
+5V indeed.)

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, GF2MX AGP 32 MiB, 110W
Old February 28th 04, 09:40 PM
Moods

ICee was zeer hard aan het denken :
Moods wrote:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips845/

How do I know which mosfet to use for this mod
I have an Asus A7N8X(-X) (don't think the extra x is of any importance
here)

THX!

Quoting from the article:
"Once you locate the core voltage regulating Mosfets (usually six of
them), you will see them typically grouped in threes, though some
motherboard manufacturers still use twos. On three of them, the center
pin is attached directly to the +5V path coming over from the ATX
connector and three of them are not. *You can determine this by taking a
multimeter and checking each of them with the power on.* "

Thx for the quote but the battery in my multimeter died

--
Ugh!

Old February 28th 04, 09:44 PM
Tony Hwang

Moods wrote:

http://www.overclockers.com/tips845/

How do I know which mosfet to use for this mod
I have an Asus A7N8X(-X) (don't think the extra x is of any importance
here)

THX!

Hi,
If I were doing it, I'd go into PSU and raise the +5V output little bit
to benefit all the circuits needing +5V. Anyhow tolerance is +/- 5%
typically. 4.75 to 5.25 is within tolerance. Such a big deal.
Tony
Old February 28th 04, 09:53 PM
ICee

Moods wrote:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips845/

How do I know which mosfet to use for this mod
I have an Asus A7N8X(-X) (don't think the extra x is of any
importance here)

THX!

Quoting from the article:
"Once you locate the core voltage regulating Mosfets (usually six of
them), you will see them typically grouped in threes, though some
motherboard manufacturers still use twos. On three of them, the
center pin is attached directly to the +5V path coming over from the
ATX connector and three of them are not. *You can determine this by
taking a multimeter and checking each of them with the power on.* "

Thx for the quote but the battery in my multimeter died

Well, get another one!

Old February 28th 04, 11:41 PM
rstlne

"Moods" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.overclockers.com/tips845/

How do I know which mosfet to use for this mod
I have an Asus A7N8X(-X) (don't think the extra x is of any importance
here)

THX!

--
Ugh!

Wow that's nuts!..
In reality it's probably not that good of a thing either, you'll end up
shifting more load to that "spare" wire as the connector not being there
leads for less of a resistive path and as such more current will want to
flow there until such a time that the current traveling through the wire
increases to such a point that it begins to warm and it's resistance will
rise until such a time that you have little to no difference at all..
your going to bypass 4.8m ohms of resistance (actually not bypass)
Your going to Try to shunt around it.. but taking the wire into
consideration then 9.8m ohms would be what your starting with.. and
something like 3.3m ohms would be the "after" effect..
So dropping 6 m ohms isnt THAT bad..

But thinking about power consumption.. Assuming you had a 40w drop. that
would be like 8 amps.. or something like .05v (5 mv)
err
hope I got that math right.. was just speeding through it really ..

I think that the post said something that would be of more benefit than
actually trying to do the mod..

Get a new psu and plug it in once and use it .. dont unplug it 100 times..

Old February 29th 04, 01:33 AM
Barry Watzman

The guy who wrote that article seems not to realize that on most Pentium
4 motherboards, the Vcore switching power supply on the motherboard
generates the Vcore from the +12 volt line rather than from the +5 volt
line; and that the whole point of the 4-pin square "ATX12V" connector is
precisely to do what he suggests, e.g. get more current to the
appropriate part of the motherboard without any voltage loss.

Old February 29th 04, 03:23 AM
Moods

Op 28-2-2004, heeft Moods verondersteld :

http://www.overclockers.com/tips845/

Have a brand new qtec 550w psu
Connected the two mosfets and ran with and without mod,..
10*232, prime95

It works B-)
http://www.home.zonnet.nl/luxzzz/5vmod.html

--