GOOD powersupply for under $40?

Old January 20th 04, 08:59 PM
LRW

Default GOOD powersupply for under $40?

Well, I've taken the suggestions (great suggestions!) from a couple previous
threads, and decided I need to get a quality PS.
But...I'm having a hard time narrowing one down...especially in my budget.
$40 or less.
And preferably at least 350 watts as close to TRUE 350 as possible.

Any suggestions, especially 2 fan ones?
I found this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alog=58&depa=1
I don't think I've seen Coolmax on anyone's quality manufacturor's
lists...but the numbers (amps and total 3+5+12 line watts) seems pretty
good.

Well, thanks for any feedback!
Liam

Old January 20th 04, 09:05 PM
LRW

"LRW" wrote in message
Well, I've taken the suggestions (great suggestions!) from a couple

previous
threads, and decided I need to get a quality PS.
But...I'm having a hard time narrowing one down...especially in my budget.
$40 or less.
And preferably at least 350 watts as close to TRUE 350 as possible.

Any suggestions, especially 2 fan ones?
I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alog=58&depa=1
I don't think I've seen Coolmax on anyone's quality manufacturor's
lists...but the numbers (amps and total 3+5+12 line watts) seems pretty
good.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alog=58&depa=1
Oh and this one's a couple dollars more, but the peaks and amps are better,
and it states a MTBF.
But the brand name... ?

Old January 20th 04, 10:16 PM
w_tom

If list retail price is significantly under $80, then
probably missing essential functions. How to determine a
quality supply. Up front and first, it provides a long list
of numerical specs. Specs that inferior supplies cannot
always meet and therefore don't provide. An abbreviated list
of specs that any acceptable supply claims to meet:
Specification compliance: ATX 2.03 & ATX12V v1.1
Acoustics noise 25.8dBA typical at 70w, 30cm
Short circuit protection on all outputs
Over voltage protection
Over power protection
100% hi-pot test
100% burn in, high temperature cycled on/off
PFC harmonics compliance: EN61000-3-2 + A1 + A2
EMI/RFI compliance: CE, CISPR22 & FCC part 15 class B
Safety compliance: VDE, TUV, D, N, S, Fi, UL, C-UL & CB
Hold up time, full load: 16ms. typical
Efficiency; 100-120VAC and full range: 65%
Dielectric withstand, input to frame/ground: 1800VAC, 1sec.
Dielectric withstand, input to output: 1800VAC, 1sec.
Ripple/noise: 1%
MTBF, full load @ 25°C amb.: 100k hrs

What do supplies forget to include to sell at higher profits
at $40? Things such as over power protection and EMI/RFI
compliance. Does your supply specifically state it has this?
If not, then that essential function is probably missing which
is why they can sell for $40.

Old January 21st 04, 01:14 AM
Ruel Smith (Big Daddy)

on Tue January 20 2004 2:59 pm, LRW decided to enlighten us with:

Well, I've taken the suggestions (great suggestions!) from a couple
But...I'm having a hard time narrowing one down...especially in my budget.
$40 or less.
And preferably at least 350 watts as close to TRUE 350 as possible.

Any suggestions, especially 2 fan ones?
I found this:
http://www.newegg.com/app

ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-159-023&catalog=58&depa=1
I don't think I've seen Coolmax on anyone's quality manufacturor's
lists...but the numbers (amps and total 3+5+12 line watts) seems pretty
good.

Never, ever, ever skimp on a power supply! Period!

This sounds like it might be a getter one (it's an Antec) for about $40:

http://www.newegg.com/app
ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-913&catalog=58&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

--
Big Daddy Ruel Smith

My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
7:13pm up 44 days 3:58, 2 users, load average: 0.68, 0.45, 0.28

My Windows XP machine uptime:
Something less...

Old January 21st 04, 01:17 AM
Ruel Smith (Big Daddy)

on Tue January 20 2004 4:16 pm, w_tom decided to enlighten us with:

What do supplies forget to include to sell at higher profits
at $40? Things such as over power protection and EMI/RFI
compliance. Does your supply specifically state it has this?
If not, then that essential function is probably missing which
is why they can sell for $40.

Try and knock an Antec power supply. New Egg has and Antec 350W power
supply, model SL350 for $43. Can't beat it. Antec has some of the best
power supplies on the market for consumer PC's, bar none.

http://www.newegg.com/app
ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-913&catalog=58&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

--
Big Daddy Ruel Smith

My SuSE Linux machine uptime:
7:15pm up 44 days 4:00, 2 users, load average: 0.47, 0.45, 0.29

Old January 21st 04, 01:52 AM
do_not_spam_me

"LRW" wrote in message news:tMfPb.107330$I06.625560@attbi_s01...
Well, I've taken the suggestions (great suggestions!) from a
couple previous threads, and decided I need to get a quality PS.
But...I'm having a hard time narrowing one down...especially
in my budget. $40 or less. And preferably at least 350 watts as
close to TRUE 350 as possible.

Any suggestions, especially 2 fan ones?

Why insist on 2 fans when the number of fans isn't closely related to
cooling performance? PC Power & Cooling even found 2nd fan in a 550W
Enermax to be completely ineffective. If you want maximum cooling
with minimum noise, your best choice may be a supply with a single
large fan on top, such as some of the newer Fortron-Source and
Seasonic models have, although some have said that the F-S with 120mm
isn't as quiet as their more conventional models.

I found this: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alog=58&depa=1
I don't think I've seen Coolmax on anyone's quality manufacturor's
lists...but the numbers (amps and total 3+5+12 line watts) seems
pretty good.

How do you know the numbers are accurate? The only widely available
independent verifications are from AMD and Intel, but they're not very
strict, as shown by all the low-quality supplies that get certified.
You should also dismiss 99% of the reviews published on the Internet
because they don't test with full loads, just a computer running a
burn-in program, or 150-200W, nor do they test to failure (when normal
shutdown or damage occurs). No review is legitimate unless it
includes amp measurements, and the only ones I know of in English that
do are www.tomshardware.com (tests to failure, no results given for
individual voltage outputs) and www.silentpcreview (tests to full
rated loads only).

UL says the Coolmax is made by ATNG Power, and it seems to be
identical to this one: http://terasan.okiraku-pc.net/dengen/no64/ .
This review is typical poor Internet quality, but at least it shows
what the supply looks like inside, and my impression is that this
hardly the worst made supply, although components alone don't tell the
whole story. The inverter transformer (yellow object between the 2
heatsinks) may be on the small side, the heatsinks are fairly small,
and the large capacitors are only 820uF. You may want to compare this
supply to an Aopen brand Fortron-Source model:
http://terasan.okiraku-pc.net/dengen/no47/index.html .

I'm sure you've received many recommendations for Fortron-Source power
supplies, which Newegg also carries, because they're not only of very
good quality and also very cheap, so why have you ignored them and
instead considered questionable brands?
Old January 21st 04, 03:09 AM
Wooducoodu

either of these would be good.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...03-486&catalog
=58&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...04-966&catalog
=58&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...59-023&catalog

Old January 21st 04, 04:22 AM
LRW

"Wooducoodu" wrote in message
m...
either of these would be good.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...03-486&catalog
=58&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...04-966&catalog
=58&depa=1

Well, the brand name I understand is good, and the prices are right, but to
comment on that and answer "do_no_spam_me"'s question earlier, I've read
reviews (well, articles mainly from AMD,) that say it's VITAL to have a
power supply with a intake fan on its underside, above the CPU, to provide
proper airflow.

Is this not necessary?
Thanks for the replies!!
Liam

Old January 21st 04, 07:30 AM
ric

LRW wrote:

Well, the brand name I understand is good, and the prices are right, but to
comment on that and answer "do_no_spam_me"'s question earlier, I've read
reviews (well, articles mainly from AMD,) that say it's VITAL to have a
power supply with a intake fan on its underside, above the CPU, to provide
proper airflow.

Ah, I believe they recommend a bottom PSU intake, not a bottom PSU
intake *fan*. No?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/26003.pdf
Old January 21st 04, 03:27 PM
LRW

"ric" wrote in message ...

Ah, I believe they recommend a bottom PSU intake, not a bottom PSU
intake *fan*. No?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/26003.pdf

OOHHH!!!! I was totally thinking it was saying fan. I mean, when you're
browsing PS's and you're seeing some with a flat bottom and some with a
big-ole fan on the bottom...my mind just assumed the AMD article had been
saying fan. =/
Sorry.
Well, now to go back and look at some of those Sparkles again! =)