Do I need a pen and tablet?

Old July 25th 03, 02:59 AM
Paula Sims

Default Do I need a pen and tablet?

I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
which one?

Thanks for your help
--
Paula Sims

(Remove NO and SPAM when replying)
Old July 25th 03, 03:08 AM
Jim Waggener

"Paula Sims" wrote in message
l.net...
I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
which one?

Thanks for your help
--
Paula Sims

(Remove NO and SPAM when replying

A pen and tablet would make it much easier. Get a Wacom.

Old July 25th 03, 03:13 AM
Gregory W. Blank

I find the mouse I have is better than the the tablet on my old computer.
Coupled with keyboard short cuts the mouse should be good enough
IMHOP.

In article t, Paula Sims wrote:

I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
which one?

Thanks for your help
--
Paula Sims

(Remove NO and SPAM when replying)

--
Check out my website @
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Considering eating out?; You may end up spending a fortune in cookies.
Old July 25th 03, 04:12 AM
Mxsmanic

Paula Sims writes:

How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
should I just stick to my mouse?

A pen and tablet is _mandatory_ for any serious work in Photoshop.

If I should go with the pen and tablet,
which one?

Wacom.

Old July 25th 03, 12:25 PM
borge

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 01:59:34 GMT, Paula Sims
wrote:

I have scanned several thousand photos in and am now going to use
Photoshop to touch them up. How helpful would a pen and a tablet be or
should I just stick to my mouse? If I should go with the pen and tablet,
which one?

Thanks for your help

If you really want to know, try to sign your signature with a mouse,
It is like using the heel of a muddy boot compared to that of the pen
on a Wacom - however you have to learn and not give up too soon.

Borge
For your information, my stats a
Win 2000, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
1 Gb memory,ADSL
80+40 GB of disc space,Oly C2100 & Optio S
Borge Pedersen :-)
Perth, Australia

remove SPAM for email
Old July 25th 03, 02:19 PM
Charlie D

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Charlie D writes:

It may be good for painting from scratch,
but for photo touch-up my Kensington trackball
does it all.

How does your trackball handle opacity and angle?

With the "O" and "A" user addressable wheels.

Of course it doesn't handle it. I don't "draw" on my photos. I just do
the things I did in the darkroom (plus dozens of others). That never
included airbrushing or other gross changes.

You certainly don't need a tablet for spotting or for the healing brush.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA
Old July 25th 03, 03:59 PM
Mxsmanic

Charlie D writes:

I don't "draw" on my photos. I just do the things
I did in the darkroom (plus dozens of others). That never
included airbrushing or other gross changes.

Even dodging and burning requires opacity control for best results.

You certainly don't need a tablet for spotting
or for the healing brush.

You don't need a tablet for anything, strictly speaking. Then again,
technically you don't need a mouse, either--you could just do everything
with the keyboard. The difference is about the same between keyboard
and mouse as it is between mouse and tablet, as anyone who has used all
of these will confirm.

Old July 26th 03, 02:31 AM
Gregory W. Blank

In article , Mxsmanic wrote:

A pen and tablet is _mandatory_ for any serious work in Photoshop.

Thats an opinion & you should state it as such,....the Pro Lab I deal
with and worked for never use any thing but the computer mouse
They; I should add do hundreds of scans a week, for simple
spotting the mouse is perfectly fine and alot less expensive
its also works well for more in depth retouching.