BBA 9800NP S-video out sucks

Old July 4th 04, 01:46 AM
Leadfoot

Default BBA 9800NP S-video out sucks

Built by ATI 9800 non-pro bios hacked to pro wuth a 12 foot s-video cable
going to a yamaha RX-V630 as vcr2 and then a 6 foot s-video to a toshiba 27'
standard tv resolution is 800X600

The video looks a little washed out and has horizontal white lines

Are there any good links t o a page on ATI video out toubleshooting?

Any ati s-video utilities available? Or one that identifies the chip
providing s-video.

Any other advice, tips or tricks.

Floor plan

tv livung room

----------------------------- Wall
computer bedroom

Old July 4th 04, 01:55 AM
Wayne Youngman

"Leadfoot" wrote
Built by ATI 9800 non-pro bios hacked to pro wuth a 12 foot s-video cable
going to a yamaha RX-V630 as vcr2 and then a 6 foot s-video to a toshiba

27'
standard tv resolution is 800X600

The video looks a little washed out and has horizontal white lines

Hi,

can't any of these things be connected via DVI? I was using my
God-Brother's Projector connected to the S-Video and it was ok, not great
though! Anyway I noticed the projector had a DVI input so bought a 12 Foot
DVD-DVI cable and BAM!! now much better quality.

I think the new X800 card have this new HD-TV feature?
--
Wayne ][

Old July 4th 04, 02:34 AM
Simon

Leadfoot,

There are contrast/colour saturation options in the Control Panel | Settings
| Advanced | Displays | TV Tab, but presume you've already found those?

Also, have you tried just connecting the video card directly to your TV? It
could be your VCR messing with the picture.

There's also one other thing you can try, if you have a long enough RCA
cable:

Use the S-video - RCA adapter that came with your video card (very
important you use the one that came with the card, otherwise your picture
will be black and white) and connect this to your TV via an RCA cable, for
troubleshooting. I'm doing this via a wireless A/V sender (i.e. sending the
A/V signals from my sound + graphics cards through a couple of walls in my
house, to my living room setup), and it works great.

Simon

Old July 4th 04, 04:25 AM
Leadfoot

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message

"Leadfoot" wrote
Built by ATI 9800 non-pro bios hacked to pro wuth a 12 foot s-video

cable
going to a yamaha RX-V630 as vcr2 and then a 6 foot s-video to a toshiba

27'
standard tv resolution is 800X600

The video looks a little washed out and has horizontal white lines

Hi,

can't any of these things be connected via DVI? I was using my
God-Brother's Projector connected to the S-Video and it was ok, not great
though! Anyway I noticed the projector had a DVI input so bought a 12

Foot
DVD-DVI cable and BAM!! now much better quality.

no DVI connectors, The tv is about 4 years old, The Yamaha Home theather
receiver is about 2 years old. I do have a DVI out on the 9800 Buying a HDTV
is a ways off for me

I tried hooking up to the TV bypassing the receiver and no improvement

its a tolerable picture just not cystal clear like the cable input to the
same TV

The computer is DIY Windows XP Media Center, looks great on my 21' monitor
of course it has a bit more resolution ;-)

Old July 4th 04, 05:22 AM
Leadfoot

"Simon" wrote in message
Leadfoot,

There are contrast/colour saturation options in the Control Panel |

Settings
| Advanced | Displays | TV Tab, but presume you've already found those?

Found them haven't played with them yet want to gather more info on ATI
s-video out before I do

Also, have you tried just connecting the video card directly to your TV?

It
could be your VCR messing with the picture.

Tried that, the Yamaha is a home theather receiver not a vcr

There's also one other thing you can try, if you have a long enough RCA
cable:

Use the S-video - RCA adapter that came with your video card (very
important you use the one that came with the card, otherwise your picture
will be black and white) and connect this to your TV via an RCA cable, for
troubleshooting. I'm doing this via a wireless A/V sender (i.e. sending

the
A/V signals from my sound + graphics cards through a couple of walls in my
house, to my living room setup), and it works great.

have that and will give it a try

Simon

Old July 5th 04, 05:25 AM
J. Clarke

Leadfoot wrote:

Built by ATI 9800 non-pro bios hacked to pro wuth a 12 foot s-video cable
going to a yamaha RX-V630 as vcr2 and then a 6 foot s-video to a toshiba
27' standard tv resolution is 800X600

The video looks a little washed out and has horizontal white lines

You don't say where you are. Have you tried the various video output
standards (NTSC, PAL, several variations thereof)? If that's not the
problem I'd try a different TV if I had one. If the white lines are still
there then I'd suspect a defective board.

Are there any good links t o a page on ATI video out toubleshooting?

Only ones I know of would be http://www.rage3d.com and the HTPC section of
http://www.avsforum.com. You'll have to do some searching on either.

Any ati s-video utilities available? Or one that identifies the chip
providing s-video.

The s-video on the Radeon 9800 comes out of the R350 or R360 chip. There's
no separate chip for it.

Any other advice, tips or tricks.

Floor plan

tv livung room

----------------------------- Wall
computer bedroom

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old July 7th 04, 11:52 AM
Danny Greaves

Leadfoot wrote:

Built by ATI 9800 non-pro bios hacked to pro wuth a 12 foot s-video cable
going to a yamaha RX-V630 as vcr2 and then a 6 foot s-video to a toshiba 27'
standard tv resolution is 800X600

The video looks a little washed out and has horizontal white lines

Are there any good links t o a page on ATI video out toubleshooting?

Any ati s-video utilities available? Or one that identifies the chip
providing s-video.

Any other advice, tips or tricks.

Floor plan

Could it be a bad cable? Mine are much longer and run all over the place. They
work fine.

GL
Dan