Abit IC7 MAX3 and SATA

Old April 4th 04, 04:10 AM
Rollin 4 Eva

Default Abit IC7 MAX3 and SATA

I recently built together a high end gaming system that I thought wouldn't
give me any problems. I've got a 2.8C processor on an Abit IC7MAX3 and am
currently using my SATA as my first boot device. I've got like 2 other IDE
hard drives for storage purposes. I did a clean format and install of
Windows XP and for some reason the system hangs (if I try to open IE or my
computer nothing happens) on bootup when the system tray icons are popping
up, for like a minute and then its up and running flawlessly. I can
actually hear the SATA drive making all the activity noise, then it stops
for a minute, and then resumes booting up windows. I didn't notice until
after I installed my antivirus and firewall software, so I figured it might
have been one of these programs that was causing it to hang, since it
appeared to happen when the system tray icons were coming up. But then I
did another clean install without installing any software and noticed that
this problems still exists.

Are there any known problems with running a SATA drive as the primary boot
device on the Abit IC7MAX3?

Old April 4th 04, 04:37 AM
kony

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 21:10:56 -0600, "Rollin 4 Eva"
wrote:

[...]

With the system booting all the way to the desktop you problem isn't
relatied to having an SATA drive, or having it as a boot device.

Had the system been working properly for (how long?) or is this a
completely new configuration, so far never being stable?

Random speculation would be to check CPU temp, voltage levels, and power
supply adequacy. Run http://www.memtest86.com for a few hours.

If you've changed any BIOS settings, change them back or reset to defaults
(Clear CMOS). You might try running with a bare minimum amount of
hardware, ie- CPU, heatsink fan, 1 memory module, 1 hard drive, keyboard
and mouse... see if the problem persists before adding back components one
at a time, retesting.
Old April 4th 04, 05:33 PM
Rollin 4 Eva

wrote:

[...]

This is completely new configuration.

Random speculation would be to check CPU temp, voltage levels, and power
supply adequacy. Run http://www.memtest86.com for a few hours.

I'll give memtest a shot. CPU temps seem a big high for the stock Intel
heatsink. They're around 50C idle. But I think that's becase my case only
has two outtake fans and no intake so the circulation doesn't seem that
great. I've got a 450 watt Vantec power supply so I'm thinking power is
sufficient.

If you've changed any BIOS settings, change them back or reset to defaults
(Clear CMOS). You might try running with a bare minimum amount of
hardware, ie- CPU, heatsink fan, 1 memory module, 1 hard drive, keyboard
and mouse... see if the problem persists before adding back components one
at a time, retesting.

I'll let you know how this goes Thanks for the help.