BFG Tech GeForce 7950 GTOC - PC Shutting Off - Temperature Problem?

Old November 12th 12, 03:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Default BFG Tech GeForce 7950 GTOC - PC Shutting Off - Temperature Problem?

Damaeus wrote:
In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Paul
posted on Sun, 11 Nov 2012 18:55:03 -0500 the following:

If the screen just goes black, but there are no other symptoms,
yes, that can be the monitor. Some monitors have a 120V power
supply inside, and the capacitors in the power section go bad
and leak. There are a fair number of defective models out
there. That could be why they're recommending a repair.

Just to be clear, a computer shutting off and the fans stopping...
is a different set of symptoms from the monitor going black
in mid session (and the computer fans are still running).

Well, the monitor only goes black because the computer shuts off, which
also shuts down the video signal. The monitor still works, however,
because it displays "no video signal", then goes into standby mode (the
blue power illumination turns to amber).

Maybe technical support thinks I'm one of those people who thinks the
monitor is the computer. I know someone who "turns off the computer" by
pushing the power switch on the monitor, which, of course, still leaves
the actual computer running.

I'm saying the tower shuts down and the monitor remains on long enough to
tell me there's no video signal, then the monitor goes into standby mode.

Damaeus

That would normally be happening on a CPU overheat (computer switches
off, fans stop). I don't think the GPU driver has any say about
protecting the video card. At least, I run into enough reports
of "melted fans", to think that video cards lack effective
protection.

Some modern video cards, do have the ability to gate the clocks
or reduce power dissipation to such an extent, that they could
ease an overtemperature situation. But a lot of the older
silicon, has a high enough power dissipation, that just
leaving the main core power running on the video card,
is enough to cook it if the fan fails or the heatsink is loose.
I would not personally, be relying on clock gating, to
save my video card. While it might prevent a disaster,
I might just as likely find a melted fan some day, as
evidence my card is dead.

When the power connector burned on my ATI video card,
the first warning I got was when the ATI "you didn't
plug in my power cable" warning appeared on the screen.
On opening the case, I could see the burned connector,
as proof it wasn't getting power any more.

Paul
Old November 12th 12, 04:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Damaeus[_3_]

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Paul
posted on Sun, 11 Nov 2012 21:02:35 -0500 the following:

Damaeus wrote:

I'm saying the tower shuts down and the monitor remains on long enough to
tell me there's no video signal, then the monitor goes into standby mode.

That would normally be happening on a CPU overheat (computer switches
off, fans stop). I don't think the GPU driver has any say about
protecting the video card. At least, I run into enough reports
of "melted fans", to think that video cards lack effective
protection.

Yes, but another thing is that I was actually watching HWMonitor when the
tower switched off and when that happened, the CPU core was reading about
46+ALo-C, which is not hot enough to cause it to shut down. That's why I'm so
baffled. I do understand and have understood for a long time that
computers shut down to protect the CPU from overheating, but I just don't
see any overheating going on unless the temperature suddenly skyrockets
before HWMonitor can detect it.

I'm still waiting for the electricity to go out here to see what kind of
load there is on my battery backup (APC 1500XS). It was able to keep my
tower and 22" CRT up and running for about 20 minutes when the electricity
went out before. We just haven't had a power failure in the last week.

I'm going to start downloading the WindowsXP SP-3 updates in about three
hours.

Damaeus
Old November 12th 12, 06:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Paul nospam+AEA-needed.com

Damaeus wrote:

[...]

OK, now we can move onto the next topic.

Your power supply.

1) A power supply can shut off if an internal fault is detected.
Move the supply to another computer, and see if the problem
follows the power supply.

2) The +ACs-5VSB rail has a relatively low current rating. The motherboard
uses perhaps +ACs-5VSB +AEA- 1 amps for things like Wake On LAN or other
things needing standby current. The USB ports on modern motherboards,
are also permanently wired to +ACs-5VSB. (A one time, jumper blocks gave
you a choice of power source, but now all the ports are hard-wired
to +ACs-5VSB. If you have 2.5" USB hard drives connected to the computer,
the current demands from those can add up.)

If the +ACs-5VSB rail is overloaded, the regulator might disconnect
the load. Loss of +ACs-5VSB can cause PS-ON+ACM- to deassert, and rather than
just one electrical output being affected, the power supply now
shuts off. The motherboard design is such, that the slightest
glitch in +ACs-5VSB, causes the computer to shut off, and requires
pressing the button again.

So +ACs-5VSB is a weak source of power, that when overloaded,
causes the supply to go off. And part of the path for that,
goes through the motherboard logic for PS-ON+ACM-.

I would take a look at your +ACs-5VSB loading.

Depending on the age of the power supply, and the remaining warranty,
you can also visually inspect the inside of the power supply. There
are four screws that hold the top on. One screw will be covered with
a "warranty void" sticker, preventing the screw from being removed.
If there is no warranty time remaining, then removing all the screws and
taking off the top plate, won't matter with respect to warranty.

Disconnect the power cord from the wall. Do +ACo-not+ACo- touch anything
inside. You're only supposed to look inside.

What you're looking for in there, is leaking capacitors, which can
cause the supply to be weak or shut off spontaneously. In this photo,
you can see rust colored deposits on four caps, and a fifth cap is
bulging on top. Sometimes, a faint "sizzling" sound comes
from the rusty caps, just at turn-on of the power supply.
When my Antec failed like this, there was a tiny puff of
smoke (special effects :-) ) to announce imminent failure.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...U+AF8-Caps.jpg

If your supply is in that shape, replace it.

Paul
Old November 12th 12, 06:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Damaeus[_3_]

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Damaeus
posted on Sun, 11 Nov 2012 21:47:27
-0600 the following:

I'm still waiting for the electricity to go out here to see what kind of
load there is on my battery backup (APC 1500XS). It was able to keep my
tower and 22" CRT up and running for about 20 minutes when the electricity
went out before. We just haven't had a power failure in the last week.

Ah! A storm just knocked the power out for about three seconds. I see
that the load on my battery backup is less than it was running the 15"
LCD. The power went out and the battery meter showed that I still had 33
minutes of uptime left. With the 15" LCD, it was only showing about 20-22
minutes of remaining uptime.

Damaeus
Old November 12th 12, 06:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Damaeus[_3_]

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Paul
posted on Mon, 12 Nov 2012 00:19:16 -0500 the following:

OK, now we can move onto the next topic.

Your power supply.

[...]
Depending on the age of the power supply, and the remaining warranty,
you can also visually inspect the inside of the power supply. There
are four screws that hold the top on. One screw will be covered with
a "warranty void" sticker, preventing the screw from being removed.
If there is no warranty time remaining, then removing all the screws and
taking off the top plate, won't matter with respect to warranty.

Well, the power supply will still be well within its warranty. I just
bought it in July of 2012 to replace one that did go bad. I got an
850-watt Thermaltake SP-850AH3CCB. I wanted a good one.

Now here's a question. The lead from the power supply has two plugs on it
for those who have two video cards. I only have one video card (while I
lust for two). I have the FIRST connector connected to the card, while
the one on the end is not connected to anything. Does this sound right?

Damaeus
Old November 12th 12, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Damaeus wrote:
[...]

I can't tell from the cables, exactly how that unit works. I get
the impression the PCI Express cables are 1:1. I don't see
a modular cable connector on one end and two PCI Express
on the other end of the same cable.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-...?id=C_00001830

With some of the cabling, you have to be careful not to mix up
ATX12V 2x4 connector, with a PCI Express. I haven't compared the
shapes of the plastic shells on the connectors, to see if the
keying is different. Molex shrouds have weird shapes, to encourage
only the correct cables can mate.

In any case, if the power cables were wired in parallel

Modular --------+---------+
End | |
PCI-E PCI-E
#1 #2

it should not matter which one or both are connected. As long
as pin amperages have not been violated, wire is proper gauge,
the cable can take anything.

I've seen some adapter cables, that go from a couple 1x4 connectors,
to a PCI-E 2x3, that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Sometimes,
you can tell just from the picture, that there isn't due attention
to details.

PCI Express come in 2x3 and 2x4, on the video card end. On the
power supply end, they make 2x4 connectors, where a 2x1 section
detaches, to make a 2x3 connector. That would be one way to verify
you're working with a PCI Express cable.

The ATX12V comes in a couple formats. Some supplies have separate
2x2 and 2x4 connectors. Some, use a 2x4 that a 2x2 section detaches
to make a 2x2 to fit to the motherboard, and a left-over 2x2
you don't use for anything.

Sample pictures are available here, if you need things to point at
in a posting.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...onnectors.html

For example, this is a PCI-Express 2x4 with detachable 2x1.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...plus2index.jpg

Paul
Old November 12th 12, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Paul wrote:

PCI Express come in 2x3 and 2x4, on the video card end. On the
video card end, they make 2x4 connectors, where a 2x1 section
detaches, to make a 2x3 connector. That would be one way to verify
you're working with a PCI Express cable.

Correction:

s/power supply end/video card end/

Paul
Old November 13th 12, 05:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Damaeus[_3_]

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Paul
posted on Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:50:00 -0500 the following:

Sample pictures are available here, if you need things to point at
in a posting.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...onnectors.html

For example, this is a PCI-Express 2x4 with detachable 2x1.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...plus2index.jpg

Mine looks like this, and it even has a factory label on it that says
PCI-E: The one labeled "PCI-E" is the one plugged into the video card.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...plus2index.jpg

My video card only has a 2x3 connection so the 2x1 is left hanging off to
the side.

Acer support has been no help at all. It's like they don't even read the
complete message. I told them in the first message I sent all the things
I had already done. One of those was updating to the latest driver from
nVidia. After first suggesting I send the monitor in to be repaired (a
suggestion I thought was too hasty since the monitor, itself, works
flawlessly), they then suggested upgrading to the latest driver for the
video card, and they suggested trying a different monitor to see if the
problem persists. I replied to tell them I already upgraded the graphics
driver before contacting them, and that I had been using a different
monitor right before connecting this one. Their reply to that was to
upgrade to the latest VGA driver. They are hopeless. I cannot wait to
fill out their survey. I remember seeing one somewhere on their website.
I hope they include some essay questions.

Now I've downloaded CPU Burn-in to "torture" the CPU. Apparently my CPU
is a masochist, or I didn't run the test long enough. Instructions about
how long of a test I should run I have not been able to find yet. I tried
for 30 minutes. The computer did not turn itself off in that time and
HWMonitor shows that the temperature for Core #0 peaked at 42+ALo-C and Core
#1 peaked at 47+ALo-C.

Prime95 users have been running tests for 24 hours.

What do you suggest for CPU Burn-in? Or maybe I should just run Prime95
for 24 hours and see what happens? I have to admit that I was expecting
something like a stress test that raises the temperature more quickly, but
I suppose I need to be patient.

And I think I mentioned in previous posts that I was looking directly at
HWMonitor and the temperature was fine when the PC switched off.

Also, after installing all the Windows updates (it took me two nights to
do it between 1am and 6am) the PC still turned off, and this time, it did
it when Farmville 2 was not in full-screen mode. It was just running
within a full-screen browser, but not when the only thing you could see
through the whole screen was the game. Before, that was the only time the
computer ever switched off in that particular game.

Damaeus
Old November 13th 12, 08:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Damaeus wrote:
[...]

HWMonitor shows that the temperature for Core +ACM-0 peaked at 42+ALo-C and Core
+ACM-1 peaked at 47+ALo-C.

[...]

You would run the CPU load test, for about as long as it would normally
have taken for the computer to shut itself off. The test would have
tested two things, CPU cooling properties, and to some extent,
power supply ability to deliver +ACs-12V to the processor.

The 7950 GTOC doesn't draw enough power to shut off your power
supply. It shouldn't even be close. The card draws 61.1W in this test.
Depending on your processor, it might draw a bit more than that during
Prime95.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/gra...html+ACM-sect0

The only mechanisms I know of a

1) THERMTRIP on CPU overheat (turns off PS+AF8-ON+ACM- signal)
2) overloading of +ACs-5VSB, such as too many USB devices, charging
several iPads, leaving multiple 2.5" USB hard drives connected, or
so on. With +ACs-5VSB overloaded, the PS+AF8-ON+ACM- signal gets deasserted and
the supply goes off.
3) VCore overcurrent detection (CPU onboard regulator) can turn off
VCore to the processor. But that doesn't cause the computer fans to
stop. And recovery requires toggling the power switch on the back of
the PC. Typically, pressing reset doesn't help.
4) Power supply internal problem, causes supply to go off.
With proper design, again, the rear switch should need to be
toggled for it to recover. If pressing the power button on the
front, gets it to start again, it probably wasn't a power supply
internal fault detector.

If the power supply just has a problem with the PS+AF8-ON+ACM- signal
(unreliably reading the level of the signal), then just about
anything could happen. But then, you might not get a nice clean
shutoff.

So far, I'm not seeing any symptoms I can match to known design
features.

I'm unaware of any software path, that shuts off the computer
on a video card overheat.

If your CPU crashes and runs code at random from memory,
I suppose it could run into a call to the BIOS to shut off
the computer. But what are the odds of that happening. And
your clean Prime95 results, don't suggest any kind of
instability.

Would a virus or malware trigger a shutoff ? It could, if
an essential software subsystem is killed (security subsystem).
But then, there should be a dialog box on the screen, with
a threat to "turn off in 60 seconds". So again, no symptom
match there. Your machine just switches off.

You might want to go back and review the symptoms before
you replaced the power supply. Is there anything of
interest symptom-wise, there ?

Paul
Old November 14th 12, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Damaeus[_3_]

In news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Paul
posted on Tue, 13 Nov 2012 14:32:49 -0500 the following:

You would run the CPU load test, for about as long as it would normally
have taken for the computer to shut itself off. The test would have
tested two things, CPU cooling properties, and to some extent,
power supply ability to deliver +-12V to the processor.

Okay, I ran a Prime95 test for 2 hours and 34 minutes while I took a nap.
It reported no errors and my PC was still running the test when I woke up.
The highest temperatures reported by HDMonitor we 48+ALo-C and 49+ALo-C for
each co

[Nov 13 14:54] Worker starting
[Nov 13 14:54] Setting affinity to run worker on logical CPU #1
[Nov 13 14:54] Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
[Nov 13 14:54] Please read stress.txt. Choose Test/Stop to end this test.
[Nov 13 14:54] Test 1, 9000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M8716289 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 448K, Pass1=448, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 14:58] Test 2, 9000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M8716287 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 448K, Pass1=448, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:01] Test 3, 9000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M8516289 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 448K, Pass1=448, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:04] Test 4, 9000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M8316287 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 448K, Pass1=448, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:07] Test 5, 9000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M8257537 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 448K, Pass1=448, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:11] Self-test 448K passed!
[Nov 13 15:11] Test 1, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M172031 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 8K, Pass1=32, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:15] Test 2, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M163839 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 8K, Pass1=32, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:18] Test 3, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M159745 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 8K, Pass1=32, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:22] Test 4, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M157695 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 8K, Pass1=32, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:25] Test 5, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M155649 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 8K, Pass1=32, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:29] Self-test 8K passed!
[Nov 13 15:29] Test 1, 7800 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M9961473 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 512K, Pass1=512, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:32] Test 2, 7800 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M9961471 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 512K, Pass1=512, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:35] Test 3, 7800 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M9837183 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 512K, Pass1=512, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:38] Test 4, 7800 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M9737185 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 512K, Pass1=512, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:41] Test 5, 7800 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M9537183 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 512K, Pass1=512, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:45] Self-test 512K passed!
[Nov 13 15:45] Test 1, 460000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M250519 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 12K, Pass1=48, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:48] Test 2, 460000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M245759 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 12K, Pass1=48, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:52] Test 3, 460000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M245281 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 12K, Pass1=48, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:55] Test 4, 460000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M243713 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 12K, Pass1=48, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:58] Test 5, 460000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M235519 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 12K, Pass1=48, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:02] Self-test 12K passed!
[Nov 13 16:02] Test 1, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M12451841 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 640K, Pass1=320, Pass2=2K.
[Nov 13 16:06] Test 2, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M12451839 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 640K, Pass1=640, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 16:09] Test 3, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M12196481 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 640K, Pass1=320, Pass2=2K.
[Nov 13 16:13] Test 4, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M11796481 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 640K, Pass1=640, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 16:16] Test 5, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M11796479 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 640K, Pass1=320, Pass2=2K.
[Nov 13 16:20] Self-test 640K passed!
[Nov 13 16:20] Test 1, 340000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M339487 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 16K, Pass1=64, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:23] Test 2, 340000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M335393 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 16K, Pass1=64, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:26] Test 3, 340000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M331681 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 16K, Pass1=64, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:29] Test 4, 340000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M329727 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 16K, Pass1=64, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:32] Test 5, 340000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M327681 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 16K, Pass1=64, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:36] Self-test 16K passed!
[Nov 13 16:36] Test 1, 5300 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M14942209 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 768K, Pass1=256, Pass2=3K.
[Nov 13 16:39] Test 2, 5300 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M14942207 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 768K, Pass1=256, Pass2=3K.
[Nov 13 16:42] Test 3, 5300 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M14155777 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 768K, Pass1=256, Pass2=3K.
[Nov 13 16:46] Test 4, 5300 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M14155775 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 768K, Pass1=256, Pass2=3K.
[Nov 13 16:49] Test 5, 5300 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M13969343 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 768K, Pass1=256, Pass2=3K.
[Nov 13 16:53] Self-test 768K passed!
[Nov 13 16:53] Test 1, 210000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M501041 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 24K, Pass1=96, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:56] Test 2, 210000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M496943 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 24K, Pass1=96, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:59] Test 3, 210000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M487423 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 24K, Pass1=96, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 17:03] Test 4, 210000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M471041 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 24K, Pass1=96, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 17:06] Test 5, 210000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M466943 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 24K, Pass1=96, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 17:09] Self-test 24K passed!
[Nov 13 17:09] Test 1, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M16815071 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 864K, Pass1=384, Pass2=2304.
[Nov 13 17:13] Test 2, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M16515073 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 864K, Pass1=384, Pass2=2304.
[Nov 13 17:16] Test 3, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M16515071 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 864K, Pass1=384, Pass2=2304.
[Nov 13 17:20] Test 4, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M16297569 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 864K, Pass1=384, Pass2=2304.
[Nov 13 17:23] Test 5, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M15997567 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 864K, Pass1=384, Pass2=2304.
[Nov 13 17:26] Self-test 864K passed!
[Nov 13 17:26] Test 1, 160000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M662593 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 32K, Pass1=128, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 17:28] Torture Test completed 45 tests in 2 hours, 34 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings.
[Nov 13 17:28] Worker stopped.

[Nov 13 14:54] Worker starting
[Nov 13 14:54] Setting affinity to run worker on logical CPU #2
[Nov 13 14:54] Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
[Nov 13 14:54] Please read stress.txt. Choose Test/Stop to end this test.
[Nov 13 14:54] Test 1, 9000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M8716289 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 448K, Pass1=448, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 14:57] Test 2, 9000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M8716287 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 448K, Pass1=448, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:00] Test 3, 9000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M8516289 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 448K, Pass1=448, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:04] Test 4, 9000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M8316287 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 448K, Pass1=448, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:07] Test 5, 9000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M8257537 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 448K, Pass1=448, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:11] Self-test 448K passed!
[Nov 13 15:11] Test 1, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M172031 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 8K, Pass1=32, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:14] Test 2, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M163839 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 8K, Pass1=32, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:17] Test 3, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M159745 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 8K, Pass1=32, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:21] Test 4, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M157695 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 8K, Pass1=32, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:24] Test 5, 800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M155649 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 8K, Pass1=32, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:28] Self-test 8K passed!
[Nov 13 15:28] Test 1, 7800 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M9961473 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 512K, Pass1=512, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:31] Test 2, 7800 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M9961471 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 512K, Pass1=512, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:34] Test 3, 7800 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M9837183 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 512K, Pass1=512, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:38] Test 4, 7800 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M9737185 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 512K, Pass1=512, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:40] Test 5, 7800 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M9537183 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 512K, Pass1=512, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 15:44] Self-test 512K passed!
[Nov 13 15:44] Test 1, 460000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M250519 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 12K, Pass1=48, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:47] Test 2, 460000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M245759 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 12K, Pass1=48, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:50] Test 3, 460000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M245281 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 12K, Pass1=48, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:54] Test 4, 460000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M243713 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 12K, Pass1=48, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 15:57] Test 5, 460000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M235519 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 12K, Pass1=48, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:01] Self-test 12K passed!
[Nov 13 16:01] Test 1, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M12451841 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 640K, Pass1=320, Pass2=2K.
[Nov 13 16:04] Test 2, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M12451839 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 640K, Pass1=640, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 16:07] Test 3, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M12196481 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 640K, Pass1=320, Pass2=2K.
[Nov 13 16:11] Test 4, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M11796481 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 640K, Pass1=640, Pass2=1K.
[Nov 13 16:14] Test 5, 6500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M11796479 using AMD K8 type-0 FFT length 640K, Pass1=320, Pass2=2K.
[Nov 13 16:18] Self-test 640K passed!
[Nov 13 16:18] Test 1, 340000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M339487 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 16K, Pass1=64, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:21] Test 2, 340000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M335393 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 16K, Pass1=64, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:24] Test 3, 340000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M331681 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 16K, Pass1=64, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:28] Test 4, 340000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M329727 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 16K, Pass1=64, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:30] Test 5, 340000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M327681 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 16K, Pass1=64, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:34] Self-test 16K passed!
[Nov 13 16:34] Test 1, 5300 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M14942209 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 768K, Pass1=256, Pass2=3K.
[Nov 13 16:37] Test 2, 5300 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M14942207 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 768K, Pass1=256, Pass2=3K.
[Nov 13 16:40] Test 3, 5300 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M14155777 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 768K, Pass1=256, Pass2=3K.
[Nov 13 16:44] Test 4, 5300 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M14155775 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 768K, Pass1=256, Pass2=3K.
[Nov 13 16:47] Test 5, 5300 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M13969343 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 768K, Pass1=256, Pass2=3K.
[Nov 13 16:51] Self-test 768K passed!
[Nov 13 16:51] Test 1, 210000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M501041 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 24K, Pass1=96, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:54] Test 2, 210000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M496943 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 24K, Pass1=96, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 16:57] Test 3, 210000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M487423 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 24K, Pass1=96, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 17:00] Test 4, 210000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M471041 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 24K, Pass1=96, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 17:03] Test 5, 210000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M466943 using AMD K8 type-1 FFT length 24K, Pass1=96, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 17:06] Self-test 24K passed!
[Nov 13 17:06] Test 1, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M16815071 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 864K, Pass1=384, Pass2=2304.
[Nov 13 17:10] Test 2, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M16515073 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 864K, Pass1=384, Pass2=2304.
[Nov 13 17:13] Test 3, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M16515071 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 864K, Pass1=384, Pass2=2304.
[Nov 13 17:16] Test 4, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M16297569 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 864K, Pass1=384, Pass2=2304.
[Nov 13 17:20] Test 5, 4500 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M15997567 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 864K, Pass1=384, Pass2=2304.
[Nov 13 17:23] Self-test 864K passed!
[Nov 13 17:23] Test 1, 160000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M662593 using AMD K8 type-2 FFT length 32K, Pass1=128, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 17:27] Test 2, 160000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M659457 using AMD K8 type-3 FFT length 32K, Pass1=128, Pass2=256.
[Nov 13 17:28] Torture Test completed 46 tests in 2 hours, 34 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings.
[Nov 13 17:28] Worker stopped.

With Final Fantasy, once I played for about 30 minutes with no problems.
The next time, as soon as I started the game, the PC turned off. With
Farmville 2, it happened within 10 minutes or instantly when going
full-screen, but earlier today, it happened even without going
full-screen, and after about five minutes of playing with Facebook junk
surrounding the play area. Age of Empires shut me down within about a
minute or two, including the time it takes to get past the menus to get a
skirmish started.

I'm thinking it might be a 3D issue. I've read that video cards have a 2D
mode and a 3D mode. So far, I've only gotten a shut-down when playing 3D
games. Farmville 2 is a Flash game, but it's also full 3D and runs pretty
smoothly except for short bursts of sluggishness, maybe lasting slightly
less than one second at a time, but happening about every five or six
seconds. I haven't tried any other 3D games so far aside from the three I
mentioned above.

Chefville, for example, is a 2D Flash game, and Farmville 2 is a 3D Flash
game. In the past, I've checked CPU usage for Chefville and it runs about
50% on average. Farmville 2 only runs the CPU at about 30%, but I have so
far not gotten a shut-down in Chefville. Chefville does not run as
smoothly as Farmville 2. I have also played CityVille 2 a few times in
full-screen without a problem, but I have not tried to play it again since
encountering this power-off issue in other games.

In Chrome, I'm currently running a 2.5D game called Total Domination:
Nuclear Strategy, and it's running my CPU fluctuating between 30% and 59%,
mostly staying above 50% and my CPU temperature is only 39+ALo-C and 43+ALo- on
the two cores. No shut-downs, no stability problems, no errors, no
crashes. Occasionally Flash does crash on its own, but typically only
after I've been running a game for a very long time, like more than three
hours or so. I have not considered CPU problems as the culprit, but some
kind of flaw in the programming of the game itself. Those games get a lot
of updates, so bugs are more likely to creep in.

Also, I think I mentioned in an earlier post that something about this
system has been "off" since the day I built it. Trouble with animation
pages displaying out of order was the first problem I had, and it was
within the first day or two of using this build back in November of 2006.
But since it only happened in games I could live without, I didn't try
having the card put through any kind of warranty process. I guess I
should have. I highly doubt nVidia would help me at this point, but I'm
desperate enough to call them and just tell them about the history of this
card to see if I could at least get a swap for some refurbished 7950GT in
exchange for my 7950GTOC and maybe $50 or something. This will leave me
without a computer until I can get the swap, but I've been religious about
my choice to use nVidia cards. I've had GeForce 2 Ultra, GeForce 5600XT,
GeForce 6800GT, and now this 7950GTOC. This is the first one that I've
had problems with. It's definitely a lemon. But when I get a new
graphics card, I always try to get something near the top end of the
current generation so I won't be unhappy with it or find something it just
won't do.

I'm going to try 1024 x 768 mode in a problem-game because I never had a
crash in that resolution with the 15" LCD. However, I was running Final
Fantasy XI in 1280 x 1024 on a 22" CRT with no problems, and occasionally
1600 x 1200 on the same CRT. I read on the web where others have had a
problem with their computer powering off after changing the video card. If
the video card has some kind of problem, maybe it's trying to draw more
power than it should. I'll try that next, watching GPU voltages instead
of temperature, but I really would rather not push it with this thing. I
don't like for the computer to just go off all by itself like that unless
it's caused by ThermTrip.

[...]
The only mechanisms I know of a

1) THERMTRIP on CPU overheat (turns off PS_ON# signal)
2) overloading of +-5VSB, such as too many USB devices, charging
several iPads, leaving multiple 2.5" USB hard drives connected, or
so on. With +-5VSB overloaded, the PS_ON# signal gets deasserted and
the supply goes off.

The only things drawing power through USB are the keyboard and mouse. The
image scanner and printer both have their own power cords. I do have
other USB cables plugged in for my camera, cell phone and an iRiver MP3
player, but I don't keep those devices connected all the time. I almost
never use the iRiver player or the digital camera, but the cell phone is
connected sometimes to get a charge or offload any pictures I might have
taken.

3) VCore overcurrent detection (CPU onboard regulator) can turn off
VCore to the processor. But that doesn't cause the computer fans to
stop. And recovery requires toggling the power switch on the back of
the PC. Typically, pressing reset doesn't help.

Yes, I don't have to cycle the power switch on the power supply. I just
push the tower's power button, though I did cycle the PSU switch once when
pressing the button on the tower wouldn't turn it back on, but then I
noticed that I might not have been pushing the button hard enough. I just
"kind of" pressed it once and it didn't come on, but pressing it harder a
second time did the trick. I don't have to actually put a lot of effort
in it, but it takes slightly more than a gentle tap. It's kind of an old
tower, but it's big and charcoal grey and I like that.

[...]
So far, I'm not seeing any symptoms I can match to known design
features.

I'm unaware of any software path, that shuts off the computer
on a video card overheat.

If your CPU crashes and runs code at random from memory,
I suppose it could run into a call to the BIOS to shut off
the computer. But what are the odds of that happening. And
your clean Prime95 results, don't suggest any kind of
instability.

Would a virus or malware trigger a shutoff ? It could, if
an essential software subsystem is killed (security subsystem).
But then, there should be a dialog box on the screen, with
a threat to "turn off in 60 seconds". So again, no symptom
match there. Your machine just switches off.

Yes, and a virus scan of the system files and program files reveal no
viruses. I never run executable attachments and nobody I know ever sends
me any. I use Forte Agent 6.0 to read email and usenet messages, and you
might know about their inherent protection from viruses and other forms of
malware. You actually have to make a choice to run something to hose your
own system. Nothing happens automatically and Agent doesn't even process
ActiveX inclusions.

You might want to go back and review the symptoms before
you replaced the power supply. Is there anything of
interest symptom-wise, there ?

Well, I never had any random shut-downs with my old power supply, but like
you mentioned above, if the electricity ever went off, I had to cycle the
switch on the power supply to get the computer to come back on. If that's
a symptom of a power supply going out, then it was having that problem for
quite a while before I replaced it. Sometimes even cycling the switch on
the back wouldn't get me back up and running. I'm glad to be rid of it.

In its last few days of operation, when viewing dark backgrounds with
light text, for example, the display would become darker and darker and
I'd get gently flickering fluctuations in brightness. Switching to
something with a light background would display everything normally. That
had me thinking at first that the video card was going out. I leave my PC
and monitor running when I go to bed or leave the house or anything. It
just stays on 24/7, no matter what. So one morning I woke up, the CRT was
dark, the computer was going beep...beep...beep...beep...and I could not
turn it on anymore. Definite diagnosis at that point was the power
supply. I replaced it and got the PC back on, but the CRT no longer
worked. I figured the fluctuation in the video delivery from the graphics
card ruined the CRT monitor. In a way, I'm glad it did because it led me
to get this beautiful 27"er. I just love it, except for the fact that it
has no tilt adjustment on the base. I have to prop a book under the back
of the base since my chair is kind of low.

Thanks a whole bunch for all the time you're spending with me on this. I'm
glad to have the experience because I do the same with others in other
newsgroups or forums when I know how to help a person fix a problem.

Damaeus