Epson R1800 "End of service life warning"

Old May 12th 07, 06:20 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank Arthur

Default Epson R1800 "End of service life warning"

I bought my Epson R1800 in August 2005.
Has been working beautifully producing mostly Epson Premium Glossy prints.

Without warning prints began to come out poorly this morning followed by
the following error message:

"Requires Service
Parts inside your printer are near the end of their service life. See your
printer documentation."

I contacted Epson and was told that I need to bring the printer to a nearbly
city for servicing.

Is his common for the service life of about 18 months for a $500 printer
such as this?
Have other R1800 users faced with the same problem? And what did he
servicing entail?

Old May 12th 07, 10:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

"Frank Arthur" wrote:
I bought my Epson R1800 in August 2005.
Has been working beautifully producing mostly Epson Premium Glossy prints.

Without warning prints began to come out poorly this morning followed by
the following error message:

"Requires Service
Parts inside your printer are near the end of their service life. See your
printer documentation."

I contacted Epson and was told that I need to bring the printer to a nearbly
city for servicing.

Is his common for the service life of about 18 months for a $500 printer
such as this?
Have other R1800 users faced with the same problem? And what did he
servicing entail?

This message means that the printer thinks the waste ink pads are full and so
it refuses to print until the pads are replaced and the waste ink (protection)
counter is reset.
In practice the pads will not be full if this is the first time you have
received the message so all that needs to be done is to reset the counter. Next
time you must replace or clean the pads.
Go to http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and download the utility.
Install it, run it and exit it from the main window, now go to the icon in the
system tray and right click on it. Select waste ink or protection counter and
select reset. If this gives trouble then uninstall the Epson status monitor and
try again (you can install the status monitir again afterwards).
The irony is that the more you use an Epson printer the more reliable it will
be (due to the heads being kept in good condition) but the people that use
their printer most will get this message earlier than others. Some people never
see this message. It is a good printer and well worth the effort of doing this
at no cost.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old May 12th 07, 11:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank Arthur

Thanks for your help Tony.
Is it common for both red lights flash (both ink button and paper feed
button) after the
"Requires service" warning shows?

"Tony" wrote in message
news

Old May 13th 07, 12:04 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
frank

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
hey measly, what the **** is this you're spewing?

In article ,
measekite wrote:

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
html
head
meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv="Content-Type"
/head
body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000"
br
br
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
blockquote
"
type="cite"
pre wrap=""In article <pHm1i.1455$t7.795@bigfe9>,
"Frank Arthur" a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
"<Art@Arthurian. com>/a wrote:

/pre
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""I bought my Epson R1800 in August 2005.
Has been working beautifully producing mostly Epson Premium Glossy prints.

Without warning prints began to come out poorly this morning followed by
the following error message:

"Requires Service
Parts inside your printer are near the end of their service life. See your
printer documentation."

I contacted Epson and was told that I need to bring the printer to a nearbly
city for servicing.

Is his common for the service life of about 18 months for a $500 printer
such as this?
/pre
/blockquote
/blockquote
br
What is the average number of prints per week do you make?br
blockquote
"
type="cite"
blockquote type="cite"
pre wrap=""Have other R1800 users faced with the same problem? And what
did he
servicing entail?
/pre
/blockquote
pre wrap=""!----
a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://tinyurl.com/2nxrjl"http://tinyurl.com/2nxrjl/a

/pre
/blockquote
/body
/html

OMG, that dumb **** measher****head, is now posting in HTML!
Hey jackass, HTML is not allowed in ng's.
Got it lamer?
Frank
Old May 13th 07, 12:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Frank
If they are blinking alternately, yes this is normal for this condition.
If they are blinking in unison (ie both on at the same time) then that is a
different error.
Tony

"Frank Arthur" wrote:
Thanks for your help Tony.
Is it common for both red lights flash (both ink button and paper feed
button) after the
"Requires service" warning shows?

"Tony" wrote in message
news

Old May 13th 07, 12:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Tony wrote:

"Frank Arthur" wrote:

[...]

Since that may or may not be the case for every printer Epson sells the are conservative to make sure you do not damage any of your personal property.  You can take a risk if you want to and you can choose to service the printer if you do not want to worry about it.

Old May 13th 07, 04:42 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Nicolaas Hawkins

On Sat, 12 May 2007 20:41:37 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
wrote in
:

Hey measly, your stuff is coming across as FULL CRAP.

The formatting, I mean. I can't speak to the content, because it
apparently has no content.

That would be in keeping with his usual postings.

--
Nicolaas.

2007 Pricelessware CD now available. 600Mb of the best of the best in
Freeware. E-Mail me for details.

.... Never trust a skinny cook!
Old May 13th 07, 06:24 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
frank

Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

On Sat, 12 May 2007 20:41:37 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
wrote in
:

Hey measly, your stuff is coming across as FULL CRAP.

The formatting, I mean. I can't speak to the content, because it
apparently has no content.

That would be in keeping with his usual postings.

Yeah that piece of **** has resorted to posting in HTML!
Killfile the moron!
Frank
Old May 13th 07, 06:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rob

Tony wrote:

In practice the pads will not be full if this is the first time you have
received the message so all that needs to be done is to reset the counter. Next
time you must replace or clean the pads.

Is there a panel that can be removed on the R1800 to access the overflow
tube which goes to the pad - like the R200 series?