Merged AMD-ATI monster embarks on monopoly-busting

Old July 27th 06, 01:01 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Walter Mitty

Default Merged AMD-ATI monster embarks on monopoly-busting

"EDM" writes:

"Walter Mitty" wrote in message ...
writes:

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

And the reason is?

1. It's typical Microshaft bloatware.

Like the rest of the OS. .net is nothing special in this regard.

2. It screwed up my desktop, that I spent a couple hours customizing
(Fortunately, uninstalling .Net returned things to normal)

Did it? How?

3. .Net is basically obsolete and a failure. It hasn't received the
widespread acceptance and usage that MS wanted.

Hardly obsolete though.

4. It can be a security risk. See:
http://tinyurl.com/jdom7

As can all web services.

5. There's no reason why it's needed to d/l video drivers.

There obviously is or you wouldnt need it. The question is more why the
hell it *is* needed? Are you sure its not just needed for the
installation? I dont recall it being needed to ftp the driver down ...

In Win2K/XP, .NET is never "needed", except for developers
(e.g. ATI) who're too incompetent, lazy or both to write their
own full drivers.

So its there to facilitate development of drivers? Well, theres the
point. Why is it "lazy" to use the OS services that MS provide? Is it
also lazy to us Direct X API?
Old July 27th 06, 02:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
EDM

writes:

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

[...]

That's a ridiculous analogy. Without DX users would lose
the ability to use most any modern sound app, play most
any modern game, and several thousand other applications.
What functionality does .NET provide for a video driver?
Essentially none. Compare what you get with ATI's CCC,
and CP version used with TrayTools. Offhand I can't
think of anything extra you get with CCC.

Old July 27th 06, 02:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
[email protected]

Walter Mitty wrote:

Did it? How?

It required a password to logon to XP, when I'd set the password
function off. Also, "removed" my custom desktop / theme (custom
background, icons, etc.) and replaced it with Windoze default desktop.

There obviously is or you wouldnt need it. The question is more why the
hell it *is* needed? Are you sure its not just needed for the
installation? I dont recall it being needed to ftp the driver down ...

I was unable to d/l ANY drivers from the ATI website without .Net
installed. There was no response to three emails to ATI tech "support."

Old July 27th 06, 03:01 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
James_

k.net...

writes:

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

[...]

Probably because the developers didn't want to write the app in the old SDK
Windows method. If they used MFC, then they have to distribute the MFC DLLs or
statically compile them in. MFC or .NET, 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
Supposedly they won't have DLL versioning problems with .NET. ATI just upgraded
to MS's next "big" thing.

Old July 27th 06, 03:23 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
shegeek72

Shawk wrote:

Link?

What link? Do some research on .Net and you'll find that's true.

Lol. "Security Alert. The name on the security certificate is invalid
or does not match the name on the site".

I got the same warning. Most of the time those warnings are false.

Got a link (preferably not tinyurl) that's less of a 'security risk'?

It makes no difference if it's a tinyurl link or not.

https://www.microsoft.co.ke/download...displaylang=en

Old July 27th 06, 05:57 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Benjamin Gawert

* :

1. It's typical Microshaft bloatware.

The same can be said for Windows. So what?

2. It screwed up my desktop, that I spent a couple hours customizing
(Fortunately, uninstalling .Net returned things to normal)

..NET hast exactly _zero_ to do with anything on the arrangement of your
desktop. The only thing that .NET 1.1 causes is that you are required to
logon even if you have setup autologon before since it adds an user
entry. Takes 30s at best to deactivate this user...

3. .Net is basically obsolete and a failure. It hasn't received the
widespread acceptance and usage that MS wanted.

Maybe you should get facts straight before posting because this is
completely BS. .NET is being used in lots of programs, and the number of
programs that use .NET ist increasing...

4. It can be a security risk. See:
http://tinyurl.com/jdom7

Yeah, speaking of security risks and at the same time providing a
tinyurl link where no-one knows what's behind is strange at best...

5. There's no reason why it's needed to d/l video drivers.

So in short: you have no clue what .NET really is...

Benjamin
Old July 27th 06, 06:02 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Benjamin Gawert

* shegeek72:

Switching gfx cards just to avoid .NET is just plain silly...

Not when it caused the problems it did on my system. Plus, no other
website has required .Net to d/l drivers, including nVidia..

What a reason. Who cares about 3D performance or game compatibility when
one can avoid .NET which is nothing the uninformed crowd believes it
is ;-)

There probably will be many features to Vista when it's released that
the end-user will disable or not use.

Of course there will be users fiddling around in system innards without
having a f***ing clue what the things he plays around do and of course
which will blame the resulting problems to MS alone...

Benjamin
Old July 27th 06, 08:23 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Quaestor

shegeek72 wrote:

wrote:

Switching gfx cards just to avoid .NET is just plain silly...

Not when it caused the problems it did on my system. Plus, no other
website has required .Net to d/l drivers, including nVidia..

Especially since Vista is going to have it integrated into the OS out
of the gate.

There probably will be many features to Vista when it's released that
the end-user will disable or not use.

If only you could disable the ratware, the "you must get billgates
permission to use what you've bought." If only you could disable it
down to a useful OS.

--
Godwin is a net-nazi
Learn about spam: http://www.seige-perilous.org/spam/spam.html
Old July 27th 06, 08:33 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
shegeek72

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

.NET hast exactly _zero_ to do with anything on the arrangement of your
desktop. The only thing that .NET 1.1 causes is that you are required to
logon even if you have setup autologon before since it adds an user
entry. Takes 30s at best to deactivate this user...

Then it screwing up my logon and desktop was my imagination? Yeah,
right.

Maybe you should get facts straight before posting because this is
completely BS. .NET is being used in lots of programs, and the number of
programs that use .NET ist increasing...

Not on my system and I have all the programs I want.

Yeah, speaking of security risks and at the same time providing a
tinyurl link where no-one knows what's behind is strange at best...

Try checking it out. Don't worry. Your computer won't be harmed.

So in short: you have no clue what .NET really is...

I know I don't want it on my system. Do you work for Microsquash?

SG
--
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is intelligence has
its limits.

Old July 27th 06, 08:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
shegeek72

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

Of course there will be users fiddling around in system innards without
having a f***ing clue what the things he [sic] plays around do and of course
which will blame the resulting problems to MS alone...

Well, I happen to have a ****ing clue. Been working with 'em since '95,
build my own systems, tweak the OS, etc...