Merged AMD-ATI monster embarks on monopoly-busting

Old July 25th 06, 05:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Shawk

Default Merged AMD-ATI monster embarks on monopoly-busting

magnate wrote:
Benjamin Gawert wrote:
* shegeek72:

But will they get rid of the stupid and outdated .Net requirement to
d/l ATI drivers?

What problems do you have with .NET?

I know they can be downloaded from other websites, but
I didn't find out about that until after hours of frustration trying to
download drivers from the ATI website and no response from ATI tech
support, and I'm sure many others aren't aware of it. I've swtiched to
nVidia because of it and it'll take a lot to get me to switch back.

Switching gfx cards just to avoid .NET is just plain silly...

No, no it isn't. People switch their entire OS to avoid .NET - some of
us would happily switch our entire house.

Why?
Old July 25th 06, 10:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Clay Cahill

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:56:18 -0400, "HockeyTownUSA"
wrote:

Why is Intel the platform of choice? While I agree it seems they have the
performance crown for now, AMD is still a good bargain, and will probably be
cheaper than an equivalent Intel counterpart so AMD will win the
price/performance war.

Huh?
FX-62: $877.98,
Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.40GHz) $316

I just picked up an AM2 4600+ for $249 shipped to my
door.

Sure. & AMD is supposed to announce another price cut as well (though
they will be hard pressed to keep margins over %5), so they DO compete
well in that 4600 vs E6400 space, I guess... though with the 6600
trumping AMD's flagship for less than half the price, I'm not sure how
big that N-1 market will be for the next year or so.

--
Standard Disclaimer:
My Employer gives my internet access, but I don't speak for them...

I'm Clay Cahill, and I approve this post.
Old July 25th 06, 11:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Ed Forsythe

Once again, what's youz guyz problem with ,Net? - he asked with a pronounced
Brooklyn accent.

"Master Baiter" wrote in message

"shegeek72"
groups.com...
AirRaid wrote:
http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33230

Intel in the crosshairs, as execs explain themselves

By Paul Hales: Monday 24 July 2006, 14:31
BEST MATES AMD and ATI held a conference call today in which the
companies' biggest cheeses sought justify their new cohabitation.

But will they get rid of the stupid and outdated .Net requirement to
d/l ATI drivers? I know they can be downloaded from other websites, but
I didn't find out about that until after hours of frustration trying to
download drivers from the ATI website and no response from ATI tech
support, and I'm sure many others aren't aware of it. I've swtiched to
nVidia because of it and it'll take a lot to get me to switch back.

FYI, if you choose to download only the display driver (in their "For
slower connection" part), you don't need that stinking .NET thing. The
.NET requirement only apply to the useless control center.

SG
--
This isn't an office, it's hell with flourescent lighting.

Old July 26th 06, 02:34 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Benjamin Gawert

* magnate:
Switching gfx cards just to avoid .NET is just plain silly...

No, no it isn't. People switch their entire OS to avoid .NET - some of
us would happily switch our entire house.

And the reason is?

Benjamin
Old July 26th 06, 04:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Clay Cahill

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 21:18:58 +0800, Man-wai Chang
wrote:

Ed Forsythe wrote:
Once again, what's youz guyz problem with ,Net? - he asked with a pronounced
Brooklyn accent.

I am really puzzled when I learnt that a hardware driver would have
something to do with .Net...

I beleive that the driver itself doesn't so if you simply install just
the driver (the low bandwidth download, or dial up download or
something like that) and not the fancy applets, you'll be fine. It's
the applets and the way they take advantage of some of the new aspx
calls.

--
Standard Disclaimer:
My Employer gives my internet access, but I don't speak for them...
So blame me for saying something dumb, not them.

Clay Cahill 2006

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late
nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - David Lee Roth
Old July 26th 06, 11:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
[email protected]

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

And the reason is?

1. It's typical Microshaft bloatware.
2. It screwed up my desktop, that I spent a couple hours customizing
(Fortunately, uninstalling .Net returned things to normal)
3. .Net is basically obsolete and a failure. It hasn't received the
widespread acceptance and usage that MS wanted.
4. It can be a security risk. See: http://tinyurl.com/jdom7
5. There's no reason why it's needed to d/l video drivers.

Old July 26th 06, 11:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Walter Mitty

writes:

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

And the reason is?

1. It's typical Microshaft bloatware.

Like the rest of the OS. .net is nothing special in this regard.

2. It screwed up my desktop, that I spent a couple hours customizing
(Fortunately, uninstalling .Net returned things to normal)

Did it? How?

3. .Net is basically obsolete and a failure. It hasn't received the
widespread acceptance and usage that MS wanted.

Hardly obsolete though.

4. It can be a security risk. See:
http://tinyurl.com/jdom7

As can all web services.

5. There's no reason why it's needed to d/l video drivers.

There obviously is or you wouldnt need it. The question is more why the
hell it *is* needed? Are you sure its not just needed for the
installation? I dont recall it being needed to ftp the driver down ...
Old July 27th 06, 12:08 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
Shawk

wrote:
Benjamin Gawert wrote:

And the reason is?

1. It's typical Microshaft bloatware.
2. It screwed up my desktop, that I spent a couple hours customizing
(Fortunately, uninstalling .Net returned things to normal)
3. .Net is basically obsolete and a failure. It hasn't received the
widespread acceptance and usage that MS wanted.

Link?

4. It can be a security risk. See:
http://tinyurl.com/jdom7

Lol. "Security Alert. The name on the security certificate is invalid
or does not match the name on the site".

Got a link (preferably not tinyurl) that's less of a 'security risk'?

5. There's no reason why it's needed to d/l video drivers.

Old July 27th 06, 12:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
EDM

"Walter Mitty" wrote in message ...
writes:

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

And the reason is?

1. It's typical Microshaft bloatware.

Like the rest of the OS. .net is nothing special in this regard.

2. It screwed up my desktop, that I spent a couple hours customizing
(Fortunately, uninstalling .Net returned things to normal)

Did it? How?

3. .Net is basically obsolete and a failure. It hasn't received the
widespread acceptance and usage that MS wanted.

Hardly obsolete though.

4. It can be a security risk. See:
http://tinyurl.com/jdom7

As can all web services.

5. There's no reason why it's needed to d/l video drivers.

There obviously is or you wouldnt need it. The question is more why the
hell it *is* needed? Are you sure its not just needed for the
installation? I dont recall it being needed to ftp the driver down ...

In Win2K/XP, .NET is never "needed", except for developers
(e.g. ATI) who're too incompetent, lazy or both to write their
own full drivers.

Old July 27th 06, 12:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
George Macdonald

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:33:11 -0700, Clay Cahill
wrote:

On 24 Jul 2006 18:27:14 -0700, "GrispernMix"
wrote:

I just want to know, does this mean I will have to go with intel to keep
using nvidia?

--

Actually i think it means you will have to stay with amd to keep ati,
you gotta get amd, and vice versa with intel,

Nope. NOt so far. AMD has made a point to say that they wouldn't do
anything to cause their products problems (like make crossfire not
work on Intel chipsets)

I think its going to be monumental move, if at least intel merges with
nvidia, and then it will be a battle of the titans,

Never happen (IMO). Intel has no need for chipset design & foundry
(which is what AMD's move was partly motivated by) & NVidia now sees a
clear playing field for the super lucrative high end market that they
already excel in.

AMD needs chipset design and foundry... from ATI?? Where did you pull that
from? First AMD knows how to do chipsets -- uhh, they've done it -- and
Ruiz has already stated "there are no plans in the near future to combine
the manufacturing of AMD and ATI chips into an integrated foundry".

--
Rgds, George Macdonald